PDA

View Full Version : 5d II sensor fixed?

acpryor
02-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Hey all -

This may have been addressed in a different thread... I couldn't find it... feel free to direct me to it if it has... my apologies...

Has the sensor issue been fixed on the new 5d II? I'm about ready to pic one up but want to make sure a fix is out there or I pick up the proper model number revision or whatever (or know what to look for on the serial number) to make sure I get one that doesn't have the white dot issue.

Thanks folks. Hope you all are having a good week.

adam75south
02-18-2009, 10:03 AM
it's the black dot issue and yes it's fixed in the latest firmware release. it's VERY easy to update the firmware if you happen to get a non-updated 5d II...which i did.

in case you order one that isn't updated here's a link to the download and directions.
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eos5d/eos5d_firmware-e.html

24Peter
02-18-2009, 10:06 AM
AFAIK, the sensor was not broken on the 5D II. There was a firmware update issued last month that corrected the black dot and banding issues. It's ver. 1.0.7. I just used one with that firmware and it was fine. You can install the firmware yourself if it doesn't come with the latest version.

Also, if there ever is a hardware fix on any camera 1) the manufacturer would probably recall the existing cameras and 2) it would probably takes months for the updated cameras to make their way into the supply chain. Since the 5D II is still in it's early product runs, it might be months before new hardware versions (if they existed) made to your local store.

EDIT: Adam got there first!

adam75south
02-18-2009, 10:09 AM
we should be on canon's payroll..you just can't get quality customer service like this these days.

Nickcanada
02-18-2009, 10:25 AM
we should be on canon's payroll..you just can't get quality customer service like this these days.

LOL, so true.

acpryor
02-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks guys... Is there a way to tell if the camera I order is an updated version or if the ones in the local store are the updated version? I know the local place has 2 in stock but I'm not sure if they'll let me open both to check. (Not that I'm afraid to update the firmware, I've done that to both of my Canon's before. I'd just prefer to get one out of the box corrected.)

adam75south
02-18-2009, 01:40 PM
yea, in the menu of the camera you'll see firmware in one of the submenus. click on that and it will tell you the firmware version your camera has.