PDA

View Full Version : New product photography website

24Peter
02-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Hey guys - appreciate any feedback on the new site. Thanks!

www.greatproductshots.com

timmciglobal
02-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Nice site, like the transitions.

Seem's pretty cheap though, 25 a shot with only 250 min?

I'd also say no food shots?

Tim

timmciglobal
02-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Nice site, like the transitions.

Seem's pretty cheap though, 25 a shot with only 250 min?

I'd also say no food shots?

Tim

cdifoto
02-18-2009, 12:27 AM
Nice. Very nice. I'd ditch the audio clicks though. Gets annoying after awhile. Slickness of the site makes me jealous. I need a redesign. :(

gilly
02-18-2009, 03:21 AM
Very slick! I agree with ditching the clicks though.

Rooz
02-18-2009, 03:51 AM
hope your paying attention rhys.
fantastic site and great shots.

JMWallace
02-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Looks real nice Pete! Good job on making the two sites blend well. Using the neutral color scheme is great which lets the color in the imagery pop and be the main focus.

One thing I'd consider to pull your branding together is to put a little money into developing some type of definitive and identifiable logo. I used www.99designs.com (http://www.99designs.com).

Basically, you submit info on what your looking for giving details of what you want/don't want - like/don't like. Then GA's from around the world submit their ideas. From there you critique and further define by adding comments, ratings and rejecting submissions. It's actually pretty darn fun and its pretty economical.

Just curious what you used to build the sites? I especially like how nice and clean the product site is.

Along with the other posts, check on your pricing. When I shot the art gallery last year, even though it was bid by the job, I think I got about $85/piece. That wasn't for any editing. Just the RAW files.

Otherwise, I start my pricing at $125/hr minimum of 2 hours.

Good luck...the product site looks great!

Rhys
02-18-2009, 06:53 AM
I liked the photos but the flash viewer quit working for me so I couldn't view any more until I reloaded the site. Perhaps there's a bug in the flash player?

I love the strawberry in the glass.

I see no problem with the prices. I have various price ranges but don't quote them unless asked.

I have an ultra-budget price which involves giving the client a DVD of RAW images and a copy of Picassa. They'll come back after a while for JPEGs and/or prints.

JMWallace
02-18-2009, 07:36 AM
I have an ultra-budget price which involves giving the client a DVD of RAW images and a copy of Picassa. They'll come back after a while for JPEGs and/or prints.

Beware of this Rhys. RAW images are like giving the customer the FILM negatives. Granted your probably not doing work for any high end clients that have a Graphic Design team, but it's not difficult to figure how to convert a file to a .jpg.

Theoretically, if your giving the equivalent of the digital original, you should be charging much much more. Not to mention that you should CYA (cover your a$$) by drafting a "Usage Rights and Stipulations" document that is agreed to and signed by both parties.

Simply taking the images doesn't guarantee copyright coverage. There could be a degree of assumability of complete ownership if you don't have some type of document signed stating usage rights AND you have handed over digital negatives.

Rhys
02-18-2009, 08:18 AM
For low end budget weddings, I couldn't care a jot. It's money in my pocket - cash only. Shoot, burn, forget.

Mark_48
02-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Very clean, well designed, and easy to navigate. The only thing I can find to pick on, which is real minor, would be the scroll bars that don't do much under "About Us", "Services", and "Terms". Having them probably allows for length of text being in expanded in the future.
Just noticed the "Autoplay" at the bottom of the product pages. Is this supposed to sequence through the images? Seemed to have no effect either on or off.

Legal question... Some items shown are brand named which the may have a copyrighted trademark assigned to it. Would these require a property release or something else for use as promotional images on your site? I'm guessing no, but I really don't know.

Rhys
02-18-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm guessing no as it's artwork.

Mark_48
02-18-2009, 09:16 AM
..... cash only. Shoot, burn, forget.

Good logo to put on your business card, although it sounds more like a description of someone aquiring an STD. :D

24Peter
02-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys for all the feedback. Appreciate it.

Tim - re: pricing - I'm still on the fence as to final pricing but have seen prices all over the place on-line. With a starting $250 setup fee and 5 photo minimum @$25, for a basic white seamless shoot it's $375. I could shoot that in 1/2 hr. Basic retouching is included so there's maybe another 1/2hr. So $375/hr (plus any add'l photos beyond five). Shoots other than seamless background are custom quote.

Is this pricing scheme clear from the site?

I'm going to approach some local restaurants to see about adding some food shots...

Don & JM- this was a template I purchased here: http://www.7templates.com/ $99 plus FREE hosting the first year - hosting $25/yr after that (Yahoo Small Business charged me $150/yr to host with awful templates.) Working with the template limits me - I can't change the format, only content. (I can change the music, but not the clicking sound - you need to use the "sound off" button if it bugs you.) And in truth, there was a bit of a learning curve to set it up as the help/FAQ's omit some important stuff and there's also some .html coding you need to know. But a Flash site for $99? Can't beat it with a stick.

Mark - the autoplay seems to have a bit of a delay. It goes from whatever image you're viewing back to the first one (even if you're already on the first one) and then takes 3-4 seconds to get going. Nothing I can do about that. Once it finally starts though it's fine. Interesting point on the trademark issue. I think I'm going to put a disclaimer, more for potential clients since I wasn't actually hired by those companies. If the companies themselves do come after me, I'm familiar enough with the issues to deal with them. It is free advertising for them, though if I have to I can just take out the brand names.

The next step is marketing the site. I'm interested in medium size companies, not the average Joe who needs a product shot for ebay. I'm gonna purchase a mailing list of ~2000 manufacturers and retailers in different industries with $5M-50M annual sales and do a post card mailing and see what happens. Also any advice on purchasing space on google search pages?

adam75south
02-18-2009, 10:18 AM
BEAUTIFUL SITE!!!!!!!!! wow, very cool peter. i'd definitely lose the clicks, the music works well though.

Rhys
02-18-2009, 10:27 AM
We're pretty much all stuck with templates at first. I'm pretty disillusioned with websites in general as they never seem to get enough traffic to make them worthwhile. Different people's mileage may vary. I notice the local people whose businesses are making money pay scant attention to websites. Most just don't bother. I notice their business cards are generally pretty businesslike and devoid of photos. I'm going that way with mine. And the Yellow Pages seem to yield results while websites don't.

adam75south
02-18-2009, 10:29 AM
i just use my smugmug for mine which looks plenty professional itself...the only problem is i just haven't fixed it up, it's basically a gallery of galleries. i have no info on the site. it's just kinda blah.

JMWallace
02-18-2009, 12:12 PM
i just use my smugmug for mine which looks plenty professional itself...the only problem is i just haven't fixed it up, it's basically a gallery of galleries. i have no info on the site. it's just kinda blah.

Smugmug can be customized pretty well. You just need to be pretty well versed in CSS. There are some really neat rearrangements I've seen done with it...just that although most may understand customizing the CSS, they suck at design.

Seriously Pete, you seem like a pretty smart guy with the ability to figure these technical things out pretty quickly.

I host with Bluehost.com. Although their domain registration is a little high ($10per) their hosting is pretty darn reasonable. I think mine came to about $166 for 2 yrs. Not to mention they have 24 hr support either by chat or phone. Look into them. I believe they have been rated in the top 5 or so for the past couple of years.

With that, you also get free access to "Simple Scripts". Just click and it loads everything up and populates your databases. Simplest set up I have ever come across for WordPress and Joomla.

Take a look at switching your sites over to Joomla. The CMS is free and there are a ton of free templates and some really low cost flash ones too. Not to mention Joomla is EXTREMELY Google friendly and pretty much SEO right out of the box.

Feel free to give me a holler if you want more info from my experience.

Good luck man!

cdifoto
02-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Don & JM- this was a template I purchased here: http://www.7templates.com/ $99 plus FREE hosting the first year - hosting $25/yr after that (Yahoo Small Business charged me $150/yr to host with awful templates.) Working with the template limits me - I can't change the format, only content. (I can change the music, but not the clicking sound - you need to use the "sound off" button if it bugs you.) And in truth, there was a bit of a learning curve to set it up as the help/FAQ's omit some important stuff and there's also some .html coding you need to know. But a Flash site for $99? Can't beat it with a stick.

Bookmarked! :D

Also any advice on purchasing space on google search pages?
Yeah. Don't bother. Major corporations don't click Google paid spots to get their contractors.

cdifoto
02-18-2009, 12:24 PM
I host with Bluehost.com.
I use Bluehost (http://www.bluehost.com/track/cdi/dcrp) as well. It's been pretty good to me so far.

cdifoto
02-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Good logo to put on your business card, although it sounds more like a description of someone aquiring an STD. :D
Should be "Shoot, burn, never forget no matter how much I want to and try."

michaelb
02-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Really slick site Peter; love it.

24Peter
02-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Really slick site Peter; love it.

Thanks michael. :)