PDA

View Full Version : Overcharging NiMHs ?

slimshady26
01-23-2005, 08:45 AM
I just bought a cheap overnight battery charger from Wal-Mart (Digital Concepts". I also got some 2300Mah Duracell batteries.

How will I know when the batteries are fully charged? Will the charger overcharge the batteries if I leave them charging too long?

Thanks.

01-23-2005, 09:38 AM
Yes it is possible to overcharge your batteries... The most common way to overcharge batteries would be to use a timer based charger that would be made to charge batteries of for example 2000 mAh and if u put some 1500 mAh batteries in it, then it will be overcharged or if you put some 2000 mAh batteries but that are only partially discharged...

My advice to u is that the charger is AT LEAST as important as the batteries you got, its worth it to invest in a good intelligent charger. A charger that will use another way to know the batteries are fully charged(it has to do with negative delta V or something).

Anyway, overcharging can damage the batteries and shorten their life, but undercharging means u won't get what you should out of your batteries. Either way, you could easily improve your battery performance.

I know of 3 chargers which are very good ones, that not only charge your batteries efficently but also completly(above 95%). Those chargers are the C204W and the C401FS from Maha and the Lightning Pack 4000N from Ripvan1000. I personally own the C204W and I am most pleased with it. Intelligent chargers like those I mentionned will do a charge until the batteries are almost full, then they will switch to trickle charging which will do 2 things, charge the battery even more completly and keep it charged at all time. Meaning that you can't overcharge your batteries with those.

To answer your original question a timer based charger will stop charging(won't even trickle charge) after x hours(independently of whta the battery requires) and then the battery will start to discharge. Or it can go in trickle charge which will keep the battery charged properly.

slimshady26
01-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the advice.

D70FAN
01-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Newbie should probably have included a link for the MAHA C204, and a great place to buy batteries as well. Thomas Distributing:

http://nimhbattery.com/batteries.htm

The MAHA is probably the best charger out there.

gary_hendricks
02-20-2005, 03:19 AM
I just bought a cheap overnight battery charger from Wal-Mart (Digital Concepts". I also got some 2300Mah Duracell batteries.

How will I know when the batteries are fully charged? Will the charger overcharge the batteries if I leave them charging too long?

Thanks.

Overcharging will damage your batteries.

housewolf
02-20-2005, 10:10 AM
I purchased the C204W. Can the batteries be left in it "all" the time. Say, several weeks, so that the batteries are always at full charge when I am ready to change them out.

Thank you.

02-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Technically yes... some people advise against leaving batteries for extended periods of time, so what I'd suggest is that u put the batteries in the charger a little before when you are likely to need them. For example, if your camera takes 400 shots, and u take 100 shots a week on average, then put them in the charger when you get to 300 shots... or if you never need the batteries immediatly, then you can wait... keep in mind that ur batteries will be charged more completly if u leave them in for more than 2 hrs.