PDA

View Full Version : Ricoh R1 review?

D70FAN
01-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Hi Jeff,

I was just reminded of the Ricoh R1 this morning. If this camera is as good in person as it is on paper it might be worth a review. Movie mode is ho-hum but the rest is quite a package for $299.

Jeff Keller
01-21-2005, 03:54 PM
Hi Jeff,

I was just reminded of the Ricoh R1 this morning. If this camera is as good in person as it is on paper it might be worth a review. Movie mode is ho-hum but the rest is quite a package for $299.

Do they sell it in the US, George? Last time I checked they were not...

D70FAN
01-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Do they sell it in the US, George? Last time I checked they were not...

Doh! I knew there was a reason I hadn't tried this one yet. Thanks for reminding me.

In fact I was talking to a Ricoh guy in Japan last year, and he mentioned that the U.S. is not a target market. I am starting to loose it again.

I read the review at:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_ricoh_caplio_r1.php

After reading this review, I withdraw my request. Even if it Ricoh decides to sell here again. ;)

Phill D
02-15-2005, 05:34 PM
I bought a Ricoh R1 just before Christmas based on the good feature set, particularly the fast AF & wider zoom range than my old Olympus D40 (or C40). However on taking several back to back shots I found the image quality when viewed on the pc was not as good as the Olympus. I also hated the very small optical viewfinder in the middle of the camera and the way that you had to delve into the menu to get the LCD to gain up in low light. All in all it made me realise how good the Olympus was and the Ricoh went back to the store. Nice camera on paper but not one I could live with.