PDA

View Full Version : Generic brands with higher specs

moto-
11-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a spare battery for my f50fd and on amazon i see a few non-Fuji brand batteries (nextop, etc) that are 1200mAh specs as opposed to the 1000mAh Fuji battery that came with the camera. there were a few other batteries with 1200 mAh as well.

my question is, would it be okay to use these batteries? i mean, these are higher spec'd and twice as cheap as getting a Fuji battery. are there any risks using these higher spec'd batteries? or what about generic batteries in general (higher spec'd or not)? would you recommend getting generic batteries since they are cheaper, or are there any reasons why i should stick with the Fuji branded batteries?

thanks.

Turn
11-04-2008, 11:17 PM
I think it would be best to do some research of your own

When it comes to electronics, I stick with known brand names..

teko
11-04-2008, 11:22 PM
are there any reasons why i should stick with the Fuji branded batteries?

In the case of camera failure caused by the battery, the manufacturer will honor the warranty if it's using their own battery. Though different manufacturers have different warranty policies, and the chance of a battery leak is quite low.

If you're willing to take the risk, or if your camera's warranty has expired already, go for it.

SpecialK
11-05-2008, 06:14 AM
You will get all sorts of answer to this one. I use a name brand and a generic.

David Metsky
11-05-2008, 07:26 AM
I use a OEM and third party batteries for all my cameras. The camera makers don't usually make their own batteries anyways, they just brand them. I've bought my third party batteries from NewEgg or B&H and they've always been of high quality - meeting or exceeding the OEM performance.

moto-
11-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the answers everyone.

i think i will give some generic brands a shot.. i'm going to try a battery made by "UpStart". they seem to have a good reputation for high quality batteries. anyone heard of them?

also, i noticed that some generic chargers only have 2 prongs instead of 3 like on my Fuji charger. the battery has 3 contact points. what difference does this make?

S_p_i_d_e_r
11-06-2008, 05:20 PM
There are some good 3rd party batteries (like Ansmann, GP, Hama). General rule - if the 3rd party battery capacity exceeds the original one by more than 20% it's a crap.

Geoff Chandler
11-18-2008, 10:08 AM
My SB600 flash requires AA or LR6 batteries.

I am wondering which NiMH batteries people have found to be good?

I bought some from a 'Good Brand' that supposedly goes on longer
and got them for my wifes little digicam when she got it
They lasted approx 3 photos after each full charge!!
I have finally binned them as they are useless

I had some others with my first digicam and they were not too bad
but my Mum has them and the camera

So I have one set of 4 from a well known photo outlet
but the flash seems to keep indicating the batteries are low (batt)

I haven't even had a chance to try the flash out properly yet - but suspect
I will end up with dead batteries

So

What to do ?/ What to get?

S_p_i_d_e_r
11-18-2008, 04:35 PM
I am wondering which NiMH batteries people have found to be good?

GP ReCyko+, Sanyo Eneloop. Energizer and Duracell are good too.

Visual Reality
11-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Eneloop or go home, that flash will be ready whenever you grab it :)