PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt !

ramblingman
10-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Well this is a first attempt at a close up and a first at getting a picture on here ..so please bare with me!!

erichlund
10-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Not a bad first attempt. It does seem just a bit soft. It would help if you listed the equipment (Camera and lens) and conditions of the shot (Aperture and shutter speed). Some thoughts:
- If you are shooting wide open, your depth of field will be razor thin, so it's very hard to get perfect focus on exactly what you choose.
- If at all possible, shoot on a tripod and use manual focus, because even at f8, depth of field this close is still very small.
- Given the above, it goes without saying that if it's windy, find something else to do.

ramblingman
10-28-2008, 01:43 PM
erichlund ...I believe I had my 55/200mm on at the time and it was 1/125 for speed 800 ISO just cause I forgot to change that ...I'm really just learning all this ..I also believe I use the Macro setting on the camera at the time ...the whole trip was experimental for me without time for notes and such ....I use P most of the time ..in doors shots for the most part were disappointing ... that's why I have the SB400 now...I more or less learned what I could on the plane on the way there ...I also didn't shot in raw ....I played just before leaving and the fact I knew I would be taking a whole load of pictures and not being able to download to a editor swayed me away from it ....I'd love to find someone local who is retired like I am and just sit and learn from them ....

philwojo
10-28-2008, 01:57 PM
You can get most of that information from you EXIF data, probably easier than keeping notes while shooting.

Phil