PDA

View Full Version : 50mm f1.8..a must have?

ramblingman
10-27-2008, 07:28 AM
I was just wondering ..I,m kind of new to this,I have the D60 and over the weekend I took a Henry's course just to learn the in and out's of my camera ....The young lady was very informative and I really did enjoy the course...she had brought in a couple of lens and one was a 50mm 1.8...in her opinion it's a must have lens and one other employee happen to come in a said that is the one he leaves on his camera must of the time.....but ...it's a manual focus on my D60 and they both said ...it's not a big deal I'll get use to it........basically what I want to know .......true or false ?? I love the family and nature shots ... Oh and I went ahead and got myself a sb400 and have taken a couple of shots and have to say....I love it ...just makes my in doors shots much better ...the bounce is great!!!

erichlund
10-27-2008, 08:12 AM
There's a new version, 50mm, AF-S 1.4. That will autofocus on your D60. It's more expensive, but a much better lens. It's a great portrait length on your D60, as it's a short telephoto. On an FX frame camera it's a normal lens.

On your DX camera, the 50mm can be a little long for using indoors. You may also want to consider the 35mm f2 as your "normal" lens, although the Sigma 30mm HSM will focus on your camera, and may be a better choice.

The reason you want to be able to autofocus is that you camera is a consumer DX camera, so it won't have the brightest viewfinder. In bright daylight, that will not be a problem, but you may struggle in lesser light conditions. If you get a chance, go by a camera store and look through that 50mm on your camera, and then on a D700. You will then understand.

ooverdrive
10-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Manual focus isn't that big deal, its easy once you used to it.Also its very useful in low light situations like this.http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3276/2967490760_f2889721ce_o.jpg
For architecture
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3036/2961091703_e2c4f81212_o.jpg
Even for moving subjects
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3213/2967490754_708503d191_o.jpg
All from a $20 50mm E series and D40:):)......however I also recommend a 35mm f2,the 50mm is sometimes appears too long for me.

erichlund
10-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Another point I'd like to make: Some people will tell you you have to have such and such lens. Don't buy it. You need the lenses you need for what you want to take pictures of. Don't buy a lens just to fill your bag. Buy it because you will use it and have a need for it.

If you just want the exercise carrying dead weight around, go to the sporting goods store and buy a bunch of fishing line weights. Put them in jars and throw those in your bag. It'll be cheaper, and you can fit more weight in a smaller space.

If you look at my sig, I have two lenses I should probably sell, because I really don't use them anymore. That's the 18-200VR and the 75-300 Tamron. The Tamron's been replaced by a better lens, and the 18-200 range is better covered by the 17-55 f2.8 and the 70-300 VR. However, both have been well used. They've just been supplanted in my bag.

lorilu
10-27-2008, 12:59 PM
I have a D40 and I bought the 50mm f1.8, and I couldn't be happier! I use it in gymnasiums in low-light, fast action sports photos. You will have to practice the manual focus, but man, is it worth it! IMHO, I took some GREAT volleyball pics this season of my DD and her teammates. Just use the little green light in the lower left corner of the view finder, and you can't go wrong. It's my walk-around lens for certain. Save the big bucks for another piece of glass down the road. You can't go wrong spending this $120.

Rooz
10-27-2008, 01:16 PM
There's a new version, 50mm, AF-S 1.4. That will autofocus on your D60. It's more expensive, but a much better lens. It's a great portrait length on your D60, as it's a short telephoto. On an FX frame camera it's a normal lens.

i agree. spend the extra cash and get what promises to be one of the best lens' in nikon's line up.

faisal
10-27-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm from the Canon camp but I can relate to this....I've got the 50mm f1.8 bought for $82 but if I'd have a chance I'd upgrade to the 50mm f1.4 without a second thought. That keeping in mind my 50mm f1.8 does autofocus with my 400D....

EDIT: Here's an example how sharp the Canon variant can be....

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/faisal7/400D/IMG_8163_zoom.jpg
50mm, 1/60m f3.5, ISO 200 (100% crop, no sharpening applied)

and from what I've heard, the Nikon variant is as good if not better...
So buy it if you feel you need it and don't want to spend to much initially....but as Lukas pointed out in the next reply, there are better lens out there....the 50mm f1.4 being one of them....

TheWengler
10-27-2008, 01:59 PM
It's only a must buy because of it's price. There are plenty of better lenses.

ramblingman
10-27-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks gents ...I've been doing the e-bag thing and if I can get one at a decent price I may jump ....but your giving me food for thought here now ...I think with the two grandkids that 50mm might be one I'd keep on the camera full time ....and I've seen some other shots that were fantastic ...just to many toys and not enough money !!

teko
10-27-2008, 02:31 PM
I am also considering getting a prime lens.

How much better is the f1.4 compared to the f1.8?
How much difference are their depth of field and speed?

My current lenses only go up to f3.6 and f4. I got nothing to compare with.

Fiasco
10-27-2008, 02:54 PM
My two cents. The 50mm f1.8 is a good lens, but not for me. I have one sitting on my camera shelf that I haven't mounted on a camera since March of this year. I used it off and on for about 2 weeks then just put it aside. I prefer to zoom a lens in or out as needed than to keep moving around to get the right "length" for a shot, or have to keep switching lenses during a shoot.

I do like the "bokeh" one gets with it, but then I can get a similar effect with my 70-300mm lens wide open.

Most people seem to swear by the 50mm f1.8 as their "desert island" lens, which is why I bought it.

I found it to be too long considering I use cropped sensor bodies, which makes it effectively a 75mm prime lens. If I had a full frame body it would probably get a lot of use, but if you don't have a full frame body, then look for a 35mm prime. That lens will give you somewhere around a 52mm focal length.

Rooz
10-27-2008, 05:17 PM
I am also considering getting a prime lens.

How much better is the f1.4 compared to the f1.8?
How much difference are their depth of field and speed?

My current lenses only go up to f3.6 and f4. I got nothing to compare with.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39027&highlight=shootout

K1W1
10-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm in the "it's only a must have because it's cheap" category as well.
I use mine from time to time and I don't regret the under Aus$200 price tag but it this lens were in the $300-400 range I wouldn't own it.

Dread Pirate Roberts
10-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Must have only because it's cheap too.

I don't use my 50 much because I find it too long for my kids indoors on my cropped body.

When I bought my cam I got both the 18-200 and the 50 F/1.8. The 18-200 for everything and the 50 purely because it enabled me to play around with depth of field and see if I like it. It was a $150 or thereabouts experiment and helped me learn.

Rooz
10-27-2008, 11:20 PM
personally, in light of your frustration with the 18-200, i think you should be using it more DPR. whenever you're outdoors stick it on, dial in f4 and dont take it off for a month. no mater how much you want to or are tempted to remove it for the 18-200, LEAVE IT ON.

your photography will improve out of site. you just have to trust me on this.

K1W1
10-27-2008, 11:25 PM
you just have to trust me on this.

Trust somebody who lives in Sydney?

achuang
10-27-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm in the same boat as most of you since I bought it because it was cheap and fast. However, I have grown to like the lens and use it more. Had my nephew's 1st birthday party on this past sunday and for the first half of the party I used the 18-70, then later changed to the 50 f/1.8 and can notice the difference in my shots. Both the colour and sharpness were better, but just the nice bokeh added something to my shots. Maybe I wouldn't feel quite the same if I had a f2.8 zoom, but I have grown to love the 50.

erichlund
10-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Trust somebody who lives in Sydney?

There is that...:rolleyes:

I remember passing through Sydney. Must be about 25 years ago now. My crew was staying at the Hilton (I presume it's still a Hilton) on a 12 hour layover. I was walking back to my room after a quick bite, and I was accosted by this young, rather large breasted lass, wearing what I can only describe as a fishing net. The view was nice. However...well...let's just leave it at however.

Is King's Cross area still "that" part of town?

The next morning, at breakfast, I did share a table with an English gentlemen who was sailing himself solo around the world.

K1W1
10-28-2008, 01:04 AM
I was accosted by this young, rather large breasted lass, wearing what I can only describe as a fishing net.

In Sydney it was unlikely to have been a real "lass". :D:D

Dread Pirate Roberts
10-28-2008, 04:01 AM
Oh come on K1W1, in Sydney generally it's likely to be a real lass.
In Kings Cross specifically which is where Erich was there's a chance that crocodile Dundee had good advice if you've seen that movie.

Or if you've seen the movie Princess Bride... "we all know that Australia is entirely peopled by criminals".

Re Rooz and the advice to use the 50 over the 18-200. Doing exactly that last weekend is what got me in this dillema. I've been stretching myself and using the 50 and 90 for a while. When I emptied my card I couldn't believe what nice shots I had. And then I worked out why - no 18-200 between my sensor and subject.:(

erichlund
10-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Oh, she was quite real. Let's just say she was soliciting for services rendered, which, at the time was something that part of town was known for, though not what I was looking for.

teko
10-29-2008, 10:57 AM
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39027&highlight=shootout

Thank you, sir. :)