PDA

View Full Version : help picking a lens

20lbbooster
10-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Hey guys and gals! I'm sorry for the 1,000,000th "help me pick a lens question" but I am still a noob even though I have been shooting with my D50 for about 4 years now.

Here is the situation:

I currently have a D50 (planning to move to a D90 soon) with an 18-55 kit lens and a Nikon 50mm 1.8 that I use alot too. I use a SB600 with alot my pics. I shoot mainly pictures of people, candids, and various family situations. Also, I sprinkle in some pictures of cars and stuff but very little scenery or landscape shooting. I like to shoot outside when I can but most of my stuff is inside buildings with "typical inside" lighting and my flash bouncing off the celing.

I'm looking for a lens that will give me picture quality like I get out of my 50mm 1.8 but will allow me the flexibility to shoot wider than the 50mm. I was thinking of a something like a 18-105 but honestly I am clueless when it comes to lenses. Everytime I start reading I either get a headache or I realize that my budget isn't big enough for what sounds good.

I know some of you guys here really know whats up....please help me out with any suggestions that you have. I have a pretty modest budget so I need something that will fit. Lets say that the budget is $500ish.... I know that I won't be able to get the best primo glass out there, but I'm not a primo photographer yet either.

Huge thanks in advance!

Louie

Rooz
10-23-2008, 07:38 PM
not really any point gettting the 18-105 cos you are after something wider than 50mm according to your post. so all that lens will do is duplicate what you already have without much better quailty.

if you like shooting withthe 50/1.8 and you dont mind primes, then i'd recommend the 35mm f2.

fionndruinne
10-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Maybe the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8.