PDA

View Full Version : Looking for comments re: D90 lens and case

Gasbull12
10-23-2008, 06:21 PM
I long ago was a film SLR owner and enjoyed that camera. I got into digital with a Panasonic FZ 10 Ultrazoom. However, I've lately gotten the itch for a DSLR and feel that the D90 has the capabilities I'm looking for.

I have two simple questions that are on the margin. Because I plan to primarily use the kit lens, I believe that a holster type case would work well for me much of the time. (Battery life is so good anymore that carrying the charger hardly seems necessary.) But I have no knowledge of brands/quality etc., and have not found any locally. I see a number on line, esp on e bay but I have no way to ensure quality or fit. Can anyone can recommend a particular brand or size, or source or otherwise comment on my idea of a holster case. I noticed that Don Shapp had what appeared to be a nice one in one of his photos on this forum.

Second, I like to take family photos, often indoors. I have an interest in a faster lens for that. I see the low cost 50mm 1.8 lens frequently recommended. However, my prior SLR experience suggests that, with the 1.5x factor, this may be a longer lens than what would be useful. I wonder if the 50 mm lens isn't largely a carry over from the wide use of 50's on film cameras? Would the Nikon 35mm 2.0 lens be better suited to my indoor family portrait use. Because it is triple the price I would appreciate any informed comments/suggestions on that -- would the 35mm be better for my purpose? Will I likely benefit from either of these lenses, or will the kit lens be everything I need for amateur family photos.

Actaeon
10-23-2008, 06:27 PM
I think 50mm on a 1.5x crop is pretty good for portraits.

I find 50mm on my FX sensor to be difficult for portraits as it makes my subjects a little nervous to get within 2 feet of their face to fill the frame.

Are you getting the D90 kit? Just set the lens at 50 and 35mm and see which Focal Length you enjoy better for portraits.

Lowepro makes some nice cases.

K1W1
10-23-2008, 07:53 PM
www.cambags.com (http://www.cambags.com/)

SpecialK
10-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Tamrac page has a pretty good "fits these cameras" descriptions.

Here's a guestimate start.
http://www.tamrac.com/frame_velocity.htm

Gasbull12
10-24-2008, 05:13 AM
Thank you all for those comments. As I'm ordering the kit by mail I got unnecessarily hung up on wanting to get the second lens at the same time. Not smart. I will wait and play with the kit lens first. Thanks for straightening out my thinking on that.

As for holsters, I appreciate the site and brand suggestions. I looked at those but didn't see quite what I had in mind. I am looking for more of a padded "case" rather than a bag. I can't remember exactly where I saw that photo of Don's case for one of his travel cameras. It appeared to fit more like a top loading, padded glove rather than a bag.

Rooz
10-24-2008, 05:19 AM
Gas, you are on the right track. the 35/2 is fantastic, its my favourite lens.
works great indoors for family shots with a nice flash. :)

eddie_dane
10-24-2008, 06:07 AM
Gas.

I agree with you and Rooz. I have the 50mm 1.8 and while it is a wonderful lens, it is too long for indoor snapshots. I don't have the 35 f2 but I do use my Tamron 28-75 or nikkor 18-200 when I know I will be inside shooting people.

As for bags, I think you are looking more for something like:

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Rezo-TLZ-20,2017,8.htm

I actually have that case from back in my panasonic days (I had/have the FZ-20 and FZ-30)

But beware, the reason why bags/cases are much more popular with DSLR owners is you never know what lens you will have on your camera when you walk out the door. Those camera-shaped cases limit what lens you may have on it.

Nikon also has this little jobbie, but again, I don't think it is very popular for the same reasons: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/407311-REG/Nikon_25336_CF_D200_Semi_Soft_Case.html

Gasbull12
10-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Rooz/Eddie

Thanks for those comments. You mentioned "... with a good flash", Rooz. I see you have them all. I was thinking of getting a 400 as that seems sufficient for my simple needs and isn't complicated. I'd appreciate knowing if that's a mistake.

The Nikon "case" looks about right. I will check further -- seems like Wolf Camera here should have one of those. Thanks.

This is a big step for me, and may seem like excessive concern over small stuff. However, I'm 69 and want to get it right. At this age it doesn't make sense to wait to accumulate a decent set up, and after my FZ 10 I'm basically starting from scratch.

Bob