PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else miffed at the D700 battery grip?

eddie_dane
10-23-2008, 06:57 AM
I just ordered my D700 and haven't received it yet but in my research on what I needed to order, I realized how nikon had setup the MB-D10. I need the grip for both control and the extra FPS. When I realized that I am required to use either AA batteries or the EN-EL4/EN-EL4A for the extra frames I was confused.

Why can't I get the extra speed from an additional EN-EL3e battery? That was one of the things nikon did right, keeping the same battery system. I can use the same batteries for my D50, D200 and D700 but now I need to use different batteries for just one function?!!!

Eventually, I will bend and get the EN-EL4 because I'm already carrying around 5lbs of AA batteries for flashes and I really don't want to manage any more. But right now it's out of the question with the price of the EN-EL4 and I can only use it in one my cameras. Thx nikon.

erichlund
10-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Sorry, but it's not exactly news. The same condition has existed since the D300 came out, and that was last year. The EN-EL4 batteries are more powerful than the EN-EL3es, which is needed for the higher speed.

eddie_dane
10-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Yeah, I realize it's not the latest breaking news. It just took me off guard. I knew that the grip was required for higher fps but I made the mistake if assuming that 2 EN-ELe's could power the function. I'm not even mad at the price of the EN-EL4 batteries, mainly the obscene price of the charger. I could get 3 EN-ELe batteries for the price of just the EN-EL4 charger.

teko
10-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Does this tweak (http://dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41392&highlight=d300) work for the D700 too?

Rooz
10-23-2008, 02:41 PM
i'm sure when someone asked recently about the grip i pointed that exact thing out. hope it wasnt you. :p

eddie_dane
10-24-2008, 05:49 AM
No, wasn't me. I wish I had seen that. It wouldn't have changed whether I bought the grip, only softened the blow. :D

Actaeon
10-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Yes, the charger was quite expensive. I think I ended up paying $120-ish for mine from B&H. Each battery was like 90 bucks...

One thing to remember, you need the special grip chamber cover for the EN-EL4a battery as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-BL-3-Battery-Chamber-EN-EL4a/dp/B00065F86U/ref=pd_bxgy_p_text_b

That'll be another $30 bucks.

Rooz
10-24-2008, 01:47 PM
No, wasn't me. I wish I had seen that. It wouldn't have changed whether I bought the grip, only softened the blow. :D

did you try the cheat from the link posted above ?

eddie_dane
10-24-2008, 03:26 PM
I haven't actually received it yet. In fact, I'm trying to get info from B&H as to whether it's even left their warehouse yet and it's been 2 days. The cheat seems just a novelty anyway, I don't see relying on it in real work but I am curious.

Rooz
10-25-2008, 03:33 AM
well...its as much a novelty as 8fps is i guess. its great for handheld bracketing. set a custom setting that is named "FAST" and there you have it. 8fps. :)