PDA

View Full Version : In camera light meter

tdisom
10-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi all,

I did a few searches on this issue to find no matches. I would like to ask if the is a good reference with info on how to use the in camera light meter? The arrows are always full to the right and no matter what I decrease or increase it never moves. I use manual settings, off camera flash, with elinchroms. Any and all help would be appreciated.

SpecialK
10-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Shouldn't be much needed beyond the instruction manual (page 50). The indicator only works in manual mode, and will show the over or under exposure the camera thinks you have set. In a non-M mode, since the camera is setting the exposure it believes is correct, it has no reason to show an over or under exposure indicator.

Also, if you are more than 2 stops over or under, it will blink.

Hope that helps.

achuang
10-22-2008, 09:34 PM
You said that you're using manual mode, off camera elinchrom flashes. That's the reason right there. The in camera meter cannot work out exposures with flash, it only measures ambient light levels. Typically in a studio setting you'd set it to the maximum sync speed which for the D80 I think is 1/250. Then set a power setting on the flashes and select an aperture of say f/5.6 and do a test shot. If it's too bright then close down the aperture or turn down the power on the flash.

Rooz
10-23-2008, 03:10 AM
the meter will move, you're just really underexposed according to the meter so wind the shutter speed right back to like a 2 sec exposure and it'll come back. as per andrews comments above, the meter is not relevant for use of flash. it only measures ambient light.

tdisom
10-23-2008, 06:03 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think Rooz may be right. I haven't tried sunny conditions yet, its usually after work at night in the living room. (Low Light) However, I have dropped the shutter to as much as 15 seconds and still it didn't go towards the left. I'll try it outside and see what happens. Thanks everyone again.

K1W1
10-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Don't forget to set your aperture as big as possible as well. If your aperture is set to f32 you will be stuck on the right in low light almost regardless of what shutter speed you set.

tdisom
10-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks Everyone!!!!!!!! Problem solved! It was the low light in the living room. Out side it worked perfectly. For me, that brought a new understanding to low light. Thanks again. It coulda been years before I figure that out. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tdisom
10-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks Everyone, problem solved. The low light in the living room was the problem. I lowered the high f/stop as well, thanks for that one K1W1. You guy rock.

tdisom
10-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Sorry for the double my PC is on the fritz.

eddie_dane
10-23-2008, 06:16 PM
pc's are another forum :p