PDA

View Full Version : My Nikon D70S W/ MBP

iguess
10-21-2008, 02:33 PM
My mbp wont read my 4gb compact flash sandisk ultra 11 4gb. I put it in a all-in-one card reader and leave it in my slr camera using usb, t still doesn't read whats the problem? I downloaded nikon transfer from nikon. It picks up the camera, but no pictures.. Im shooting in raw and jpg.

K1W1
10-21-2008, 03:28 PM
I doubt whether a D70 will recognise cards bigger than 2GB.
What is a mbp anyway?

erichlund
10-21-2008, 05:14 PM
D70 uses CF cards. CF have the controller on the card, so, no matter what device you put them in, they will always be able to acces the entire card. SD cards are limited because the the device provides the controller. A device that is not set up for the high capacity SD cards cannot read them. Just one more reason I prefer CF.

I suspect the OP formatted the card on his/her computer. Windows formatting can be problematic with CF cards. Use the camera to format the card and you should have no problems.

David Metsky
10-21-2008, 10:05 PM
SD cards are limited because the the device provides the controller. A device that is not set up for the high capacity SD cards cannot read them. Just one more reason I prefer CF.
This is true for SmartMedia, not SD. The reason that cameras can read SD and not SDHC cards is that they have different file systems. The cards are the same physical size, but they are not the same cards. A camera that can read SD can read all size SD cards, a camera that can read SDHC cards can read all size SDHC cards.

500mL
10-21-2008, 11:24 PM
What is a mbp anyway?

I think it's Macbook Pro (MBP).

erichlund
10-22-2008, 12:03 AM
This is true for SmartMedia, not SD. The reason that cameras can read SD and not SDHC cards is that they have different file systems. The cards are the same physical size, but they are not the same cards. A camera that can read SD can read all size SD cards, a camera that can read SDHC cards can read all size SDHC cards.

They have different addressing systems, which is in the firmware. The firmware controllers are on the device, not the card. Most devices with an SDHC controller also have an SD controller, but older devices likely only have an SD controller.

The file system is determined by the operating system of the hardware the card is installed in. Typically, most are delivered with FAT or FAT32 (probably the latter on today's larger cards), but the operating system can format them to whatever file system it is capable of formatting. For instance, you can reformat an SD, SDHC, or even a CF to NTFS. Of course, most devices you then put the card in would not recognize the file system.

Nikon cameras, if I am not mistaken, use a very pure FAT32, where Microsoft Windows actually does some tricks that sometimes mess with camera files. This is why I strongly recommend that file deletions and reformats be done on the camera, not in the card reader. For camera cards, treat them as read only in the card reader.

K1W1
10-22-2008, 02:43 AM
Nikon cameras, if I am not mistaken, use a very pure FAT32,

The older ones like the D70, D70S and D50 simply use FAT and can't address more than 2GB.

iguess
10-23-2008, 02:25 PM
It's MAC BOOK PRO

So what to do with this card with all these pictures? How to get them off the card? So what type of card to card to get with rapid shooting?

K1W1
10-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Try another computer and if it works burn the images to a CD or DVD then copy them to your Mac from there.

Can you see the images on the camera LCD?

David Metsky
10-23-2008, 04:47 PM
They have different addressing systems, which is in the firmware. The firmware controllers are on the device, not the card. Most devices with an SDHC controller also have an SD controller, but older devices likely only have an SD controller.
But the point is, any camera that can read SD cards can read any SD card. Any camera that can read SDHC cards can read any SDHC card. There are no further limitations.

Some card readers have problems with cards over 2G. Do you have access to another card reader?

iguess
10-23-2008, 05:31 PM
K1W1 - I can see the camera images on my camera lcd.

David - I have no access to another card reader. I'll try another computer, pc preferably.

Actaeon
10-23-2008, 05:32 PM
But the point is, any camera that can read SD cards can read any SD card. Any camera that can read SDHC cards can read any SDHC card. There are no further limitations.

That is false.

Several devices which use SD cards have a limitation at 1GB vs 2GB in SD Format. The original SD spec had a 1GB limit due to 512 bytes being the standard capacity per block. A slight revision that bumped it up to 1024 or 2048 bytes per block allowed that to hit 2GB (and in some cases 4GB, but those aren't official SD cards according to the SD Card Association).

There are three things that determine whether or not it'll work, roughly in this order.

1.) Hardware - Does the hardware have the physical ability to utilize the memory? If it doesn't, you're already SOL.

2.) Hardware's Firmware - Does the hardware's firmware support the use of a capacity that high? It doesn't matter if the hardware is capable, if the firmware doesn't support it, it won't happen.

3.) The OS - Does the operating system of the host device recognize a capacity that high? The hardware can do it, but if the OS won't utilize it, then it won't work either.

Actaeon
10-23-2008, 05:44 PM
CF have the controller on the card, so, no matter what device you put them in, they will always be able to acces the entire card. SD cards are limited because the the device provides the controller.

Thats somewhat incorrect as well.

Not all CF devices are able to access the entire portion of a CF card. The host device's OS must be able to address all of the memory on the card.

Case in point would be a Canon 5D. It won't address anything higher than 8GB. Put in a 16GB Card, it'll only address and format it as an 8GB card.

Oh, SD Cards have a controller on board as well.

gmogmo
10-24-2008, 08:48 AM
The older ones like the D70, D70S and D50 simply use FAT and can't address more than 2GB.

The D70 does support FAT-32, if you don't know, don't guess. A simple google on nikon d70 fat32 results in lots of hits.
I choose to quote these:

If your camera supports memory cards larger than 2GB, then the camera must support a 32-bit File Allocation Table, or FAT32.

Source:
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14349&p_created=1182524097

Nikon's official list of supported memory cards for the D70:
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=9601&p_created=1081184329&p_sid=yG43t8hj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=13688&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9MjUzLDI1MyZwX3Byb2RzPTE5LDU2JnBfY2F0cz0 mcF9wdj0yLjU2JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vyc y5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

As you can see, a couple of 4Gb cards are officially supported.

Worth noting is that FAT-32's origin actually predates Windows98, and Nikon D70 is from 2004, some 6 years after Windows 98 did its debut.

iguess
10-24-2008, 03:32 PM
david do nikon digital slr cameras have problems just going USB from your camera to pc?

Visual Reality
10-24-2008, 06:38 PM
david do nikon digital slr cameras have problems just going USB from your camera to pc?
That's what I do...straight cable in to Bridge or Lightroom...I've never messed with card readers and never remove my card from the camera.

Turo
10-24-2008, 09:59 PM
That's what I do...straight cable in to Bridge or Lightroom...I've never messed with card readers and never remove my card from the camera.

Ditto. My memory card only leaves my camera when it is full and I need to use my spare.

iguess
10-27-2008, 12:40 AM
i dont let it leave my camera. its a 4 gb now whats wrong????????????????it dont leaVE MY CAMERA