PDA

View Full Version : D-90 & lens filters

d0od
10-20-2008, 12:40 PM
I am really enjoying my D-90 it is a little overwealming, so many things to remember.

I have a question about lens filters. When I take pics in the sun with or without the hood on the kit lens I am getting sun flare (round sun spots). Is this because of the uv filter I put on it (Quantary QMC-UV). This is the filter the dude at Kits Cameras sold me, I plan on getting a polarizer but wanted to ask for advice here before wasting any money. What should I look for when getting lens filters? What are must haves?

Thanks for any help.

erichlund
10-20-2008, 02:05 PM
You should definitely be using the hood. It will help minimize flare. However, even if the sun isn't actually in the picture, if you are pointed somewhat in the direction of the sun, you can get internal reflections that can cause image problems.

A cheap filter will be more prone to adding to the problem than more expensive, multi-coated filter by such companies as Hoya and B&W. However, none of this is specifically indicative that the filter was the issue in your case. Some lenses are more prone to flare. With zooms, typically this will also be at wider angle settings.

One of the first rules I learned in photography was to keep the sun behind you. Then, later, I learned lots of good reasons to break this rule. But the reason behind the rule is that if the sun is behind you it will not cause flare and ghosting.

The lesson here is that if you are using a lens prone to flare, you may want to pay more attention to the rule, or, plan on doing a lot of post processing work to repair the damage.

Someone will probably help out here with the name of the author/book on exposure. There will be lots of good rules in there to keep in mind when you are shooting. As you get more experience, you will then learn that for every rule, there's a good reason when to break the rule. But, you have to know the rules before you can break them, and you should have a reason when you do, even if you eventually do so without much conscious thought.

K1W1
10-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Someone will probably help out here with the name of the author/book on exposure.

Understanding Exposure
Bryan Peterson

d0od
10-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the reply's, book ordered...

I ordered The Digital Photography Book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/032147404X) the other day too. Any other recommendations?

SpecialK
10-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Here's the filter link...

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27381

Tomcat
10-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Understanding Exposure
Bryan Peterson

I just finished reading this book. Lot's of good useful info.