PDA

View Full Version : When you own a Nikon DSLR don't forget to...

K1W1
10-14-2008, 08:43 PM
In light of my recent experience:o I thought it might be fun to have a light hearted thread with some dos and don'ts for both new and existing Nikon DSLR owners. Let's keep it clean, keep it civil and keep it fun. :D

When you own a Nikon camera don't forget to set it to matrix metering if you want to use an external flash in BL mode.

Visual Reality
10-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Don't forget to turn off Auto ISO when doing HDR, otherwise all you'll get is shots exposed with different ISO values instead of shutter speeds.

tim11
10-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Don't forget to turn off Auto ISO when....
Yes. And Auto ISO OFF when doing slow shutter shots on tripod, otherwise you will get everything on very high ISO.

ssil2000
10-14-2008, 09:39 PM
dont forget to turn off commander mode when not using external flash... mind you this stupidity did allow me to take a really cool photo on my holiday (some of you may remember the coffee factory one)

Dread Pirate Roberts
10-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Damn I've done most of these mistakes.

Don't forget to turn off VR on a tripod.

Don't forget to restore iso back to your normal settings after each shoot.

rawpaw18
10-15-2008, 03:41 AM
Don't forget to change back to auto focus, after using manual focus and wonder why it is not focusing on its own any more when you half press shutter.

Dread Pirate Roberts
10-15-2008, 05:13 AM
If you've been using "self timer" release for tripod mounted night shots and you rotate the release mode dial to "S" single frame but the camera won't take a picture. Check that you rotated the dial all the way to "S" and didn't leave it midway between "S" & "Cl".

It'll save you 10 minutes panic on a cold dark night when you can't see the damn buttons.

Also pack a torch for night shoots.

Rooz
10-15-2008, 05:17 AM
when you own a nikon dslr....you will not be able to buy gay silver camera bodies.

eddie_dane
10-15-2008, 05:52 AM
When you are using a D200/300/D3 check the AF sensor selector dial is not in the "locked" position. I have wasted a lot of time wondering why I couldn't select my AF focus points because I had moved it into the locked position. :rolleyes:

Turo
10-15-2008, 08:22 AM
...don't forget that if your remote triggers and/or flashes stop firing, its probably just the batteries, not the units themselves.

I guess that's not just a Nikon DSLR thing, but a photography thing in general. But still...:)

teko
10-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Don't use auto white balance on incandescence light.

Do not buy the gold edition D90, unless if you're Mr. Goldmember.

Fiasco
10-15-2008, 12:52 PM
when you own a nikon dslr....you will not be able to buy gay silver camera bodies.

HAHAHA!!! C'mon Rooz... everyone knows they make the silver bodies for the girls... right?

When you own a Nikon DSLR, don't get suckered into paying extra for "special silver" Nikkor lenses...

swpars
10-15-2008, 01:15 PM
I swear I saw a picture of a silver D50 once. Can't remember what site, but I think it was intended for the European market. Crazy Europeans :D

LBGChris
10-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Pretty much check the ISO every time you turn the camera off unless you remember exactly what settings you had last time. I've gone on 2 3+ hour shoots and forgot to check the ISO and almost all of my shots were overexposed both times! Grrrrrrrr

Visual Reality
10-15-2008, 02:12 PM
With a D300, don't forget to change back to Single shot mode after shooting in CH...no matter how fast your finger is, you'll manage to shoot 2-3 frames every time you click the button. It may startle you if you aren't expecting it :)

VTEC_EATER
10-15-2008, 02:20 PM
I swear I saw a picture of a silver D50 once. Can't remember what site, but I think it was intended for the European market. Crazy Europeans :D

My boss has a silver D50. Pretty weird looking.

XaiLo
10-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Remember flash units are not sweat proof. Anybody else ever get blinded by the LCD at night or in a dimly lit room. :eek:

e_dawg
10-15-2008, 06:36 PM
When you own a Nikon camera don't forget to set it to matrix metering if you want to use an external flash in BL mode.

Really? I like using spot metering with flash when I shoot weddings... get the face properly exposed and let everything else sort itself out. (I do set the FEC to -1 to -0.7 EV, though, so I guess it's doing the same thing as what BL mode + matrix does).

K1W1
10-15-2008, 06:59 PM
I swear I saw a picture of a silver D50 once.

The D50 was available in Australia in Silver and I think that the D40 was also available in silver when it first came out but then Nikon saw the fairies at the bottom of the garden and stopped selling them here in that colour. :D

mugsisme
10-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Uh, how about, Don't forget to turn the stupid camera OFF when you are done.

I can't imagine who, but some doodo-brain forgot to turn off her BRAND new camera and left it on for two days. :mad:

Oh, and along that same vein, turn the camera off before you change lenses. (OK, so I haven't done that YET, but I only changed my lens ONCE. Give me a chance to do that.)

teko
10-16-2008, 10:23 AM
I almost never turn off my D40 (set the switch to OFF), and I only need to charge the battery once a week or two. Averaging around 100-400 shots a week.

In fact, since I bought the camera in July, I think I've charged it less than 10 times. Now I'm around DSC_2700. The battery's pretty good.

I'm guessing the only thing that is on when you keep it on "idle" mode is the viewfinder LED, which shouldn't consume a lot of power. This may be different for D300 and above class with the special LED screen.

mugsisme
10-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Don't use auto white balance on incandescence light.

Don't forget what it says in the Don't Forget thread.

3 guesses as to who just noticed she left the w/b set on florescent instead of auto at the park today????? (no, I didn't shoot in raw.)

K1W1
10-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Uh, how about, Don't forget to turn the stupid camera OFF when you are done.

So the camera is stupid because the owner forgot something? :D:D

Actually there is not much difference between turning the camera off and leaving it on. When they are switched on they go into fairly deep sleep after a few minutes and only consume a little bit more power than they do when they are off. When they are off they are not really off and they still consume power. The big difference is that if you leave the switch in the on position and put the camera in a bag or something it can constantly be activating as movement depresses the shutter button. If you left it on and just put it on a desk and left it you would see virtually no difference in battery life.

My don't for the day. :D

Don't forget to always carry a spare memory card.

ssil2000
10-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Don't forget to always carry a spare memory card.

... and dont forget to make sure you have A memory card... done it twice now, packed my bag got the tripod etc etc get to the place i was shooting at and :o no memory card... and i do own 2! :rolleyes:

zqfmbg
10-16-2008, 04:26 PM
HAHAHA!!! C'mon Rooz... everyone knows they make the silver bodies for the girls... right?

When you own a Nikon DSLR, don't get suckered into paying extra for "special silver" Nikkor lenses...

Aww man! My 28-80 3.3-5.6G gets no respect! :o

K1W1
10-16-2008, 11:15 PM
When you go out for the first couple of times with your new camera don't forget to take the owners manual with you. :D:D

Fiasco
10-17-2008, 12:47 AM
Aww man! My 28-80 3.3-5.6G gets no respect! :o

HAHAHA!! They got you huh?

Dread Pirate Roberts
10-17-2008, 01:58 AM
When you're shooting and can't move the focus point in the viewfinder don't panic. Is the screen displaying a photo at the time and are you moving around in the displayed photo instead. - Just did this one.

Visual Reality
10-17-2008, 03:47 AM
... and dont forget to make sure you have A memory card... done it twice now, packed my bag got the tripod etc etc get to the place i was shooting at and :o no memory card... and i do own 2! :rolleyes:
Hmm, well mine never comes out of the camera so that's impossible.

ssil2000
10-17-2008, 05:19 AM
my laptop has a built in card reader so i always take it out to download, way faster.. but it has the 1 side effect if i was lazy and didnt put it back in immediately and forgot to pack the other memory card its a bit embarrasing!

teko
10-17-2008, 10:36 AM
I usually keep the memory card slot door open after I take it out. At least when I grab the camera, I will notice it right away.

The bad side is if I forget to put the card back and don't use the camera for a few days. The memory card slot will start collecting dust :P.

mugsisme
10-17-2008, 01:54 PM

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I DID THIS TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get to the museum with the kids, and take out the camera, and the top says <-E-> which I learned right away means the stupid camera operator (see, I am learning K1w1) left the card at home.

UGH. Photography is getting too hard with all this complicated things to remember. (I did run back into the house to get the manual to reset the camera. Lot of good *that* move did me.)

ssil2000
10-17-2008, 03:29 PM
cant say i didnt warn you!

Camerajunkie
10-17-2008, 04:00 PM
LOL. Sorry, I shouldn't laugh. That will happen to me some day.

However, I'm slightly OCD and the manual, a keychain flashlight, at least one flash, spare battery for the camera and the flash, a charger (for the camera battery AND for the flash batteries), and 3-4 memory cards are in my camera bag. I don't like being caught unawares. (I also almost always carry all of my lenses too.)

Dread Pirate Roberts
10-18-2008, 02:35 AM
Just to make sure I understood you correctly thats obsessive compulsive dissorder and a bad back?:D

Camerajunkie
10-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Yes, yes it is, lol!

Though I have recently added a 2nd bag for a lot of the back up equipment. :D

imagesbyjudd
10-20-2008, 02:44 AM
I think I've done at least half of the things mentioned here plus a lot more in my days of film like shooting a roll without the film actually advancing. I've gotten somewhat paranoid when I leave the house for a shoot. I keep my bag next to me in between the seats, and as I'm driving have sometimes checked the bag, for batteries, flashes, chips etc.

Little things have caused me to do this. Like going to a school event for my son getting there only to realize I didn't have a chip with me. Had to run over to RS and buy one. My wife still comments on that. Was 2 years ago. Or getting to a long shoot and leaving the spare battery at home. I turned off everything I didn't need that used power and sparingly checked the images.

Drove my self nuts when I couldn't figure out why I couldn't change the focus point. Took me an hour till I realized I moved the switch to lock.

As for bags I have two that look like large insulated lunch bags, that my wife got for me from the hospital she works at. They have the hospital logo. I like them because they don't look like camera bags, hopefully reducing too much interest as to what is inside. Each bag gets a body with a lens, and at least one or two flashes. Plus depending on what I'm shooting, I pack the extra lenses according to the body I want them on. I finally got a case to haul the stands, umbrellas and tripod in when needed. All I will need soon as the equpiment list grows is a gorilla to carry it. At least I remember my wife's birthday and anniversary. Everything else can be fixed. :)

K1W1
10-20-2008, 04:10 AM
They have the hospital logo. I like them because they don't look like camera bags, hopefully reducing too much interest as to what is inside. :)

So you are prepared to get mugged because people might think that you are carrying drugs but not because they want to steal your camera. :D:D

Dread Pirate Roberts
10-20-2008, 05:59 AM
Label the bags transplant organs or biohazard then, yucky.

aparmley
10-20-2008, 03:19 PM
When you pick up your Nikon camera don't forget to turn it to M.

Visual Reality
10-20-2008, 03:40 PM
When you pick up your Nikon camera don't forget to turn it to M.
S and A certainly have their uses and a lot of us do not shoot in M all the time.

I use M when using flash for obvious reasons (shutter speed is limited otherwise) but I mostly use A, especially when doing HDR.

ssil2000
10-20-2008, 03:42 PM
agreed, i rarely shoot in M unless I am doing something the camera doesnt agree with... plus in M you have to set your flash manually as well which is a pain...

Visual Reality
10-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Flash is still controlled automatically I thought? Keep it on TTL mode.

aparmley
10-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Everything to M

Everything else is hamburger helper.

Rooz
10-20-2008, 03:56 PM
agreed, i rarely shoot in M unless I am doing something the camera doesnt agree with... plus in M you have to set your flash manually as well which is a pain...

flash power will adjust automatically. what will change is the amount of ambient light allowed into the scene which then tells the flash how much power it is going to throw out. this in fact is exactly what you want to happen. in a nutshell what you are doing is getting the flash to expose the subject and using ambient light variation to control the rest of the frame as you see fit. always shoot in M for flash. always. even if you only use TTL, always use M mode in camera.

Visual Reality
10-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Everything to M

Still on that kick huh? Suit yourself - some photography just isn't ideal or even possible in M mode.

Dread Pirate Roberts
10-20-2008, 05:33 PM
A bit off thread but I'll bite.
Love "A", hate "P" and teaching myself to use M for flash.

Re don't forget:
Always work out where your lens is sharpest and remember to use that if everything is the same focal distance.

fionndruinne
10-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Everything to M

Bah. Guess somebody's never ever presented with quick shoot-or-miss opportunities.

A all the way, baby. Unless another mode is called for.

Fiasco
10-28-2008, 08:09 PM

I only shoot in M.

Oh, and those gray lenses I referred to earlier, the ones that a lot of Nikon DSLR users get suckered into believing are somehow superior to their black cased counterparts. Don't fall for it. Haha!

aparmley
10-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Hey everyone. I wasn't telling everybody has to shoot they way I shoot. I was just making a suggestion. You know, for the people that are just starting out. Don't be afraid of M mode. You might avoid it for years and then one day use and think, "Damn, I really prefer this to constantly having to dial in + or - EC."

I guess you never missed a quick photo opportunity because you forgot you left -3.0 EC dialed in making the photo come out horribly underexposed? Just saying! Sure I miss photos all time. My point is, just cause you may be presented with shoot or miss senarios from time to time isn't any reason not to explore shooting manual. Thats sorta like only eating box dinners because sometimes you need something fast.

zqfmbg
10-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Sure, learn how to set up manual exposures... but then don't just stick with it because "automation is for weenies". :)

aparmley
10-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Thats a good enough reason for me.

cyclone2
11-05-2008, 11:55 AM
When I first got my camera I used "M" and it really helped me understand the shutter speed/aperture/exposure relationship by watching the meter bar move about as I twiddled the dials.
I soon realized that all I was doing was move stuff about until the camera told me the exposure would be correct, thats the same time I realized that "A" and "S" will do the work for me, and afterall that's what I paid Nikon for isn't it?

DONT leave the camera at home for the first time in over a year, I missed some great wildlife opportunities today :(

Dread Pirate Roberts
11-06-2008, 05:11 AM
Don't forget to switch it back to autofocus straight after you finish using MF.

I don't think I mentioned that advice already in this thread - I also don't think I'd ever admit to having an hours wasted OOF shots before I noticed.;)

Cyberwlf
11-06-2008, 11:07 AM
When you go out for the first couple of times with your new camera don't forget to take the owners manual with you. :D:D
I know its not recommended, but i decided to do my norm, and left it to myself to learn what most things on the camera did and how they worked without the aid of the manual, sure it took me a lot longer to figure out where things were but i taught myself! :P

Cyberwlf
11-06-2008, 11:17 AM
A bit off thread but I'll bite.
Love "A", hate "P" and teaching myself to use M for flash.

Re don't forget:
Always work out where your lens is sharpest and remember to use that if everything is the same focal distance.
P is my 'Didn't get it right in A and don't have the time to figure it out' mode, A is my preferred mode though. Particularly when using f1.8 and f2.8 lenses, I like to take advantage of the increased light capturing abilities for indoor shots.

With my 50mm it only has one focal length so no issue as to sharpest distance, but must admit don't easily remember sharpest aperture+focal length combinations for my 17-70mm zoom.

Dread Pirate Roberts
11-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Lesson from last night.

In a dark theater watching the school musical remember to put the correct lens on your camera. Just because the first thing you grab is a longish zoom still remember to check it's the right longish zoom. The whole concert with the 18-200 when I'd intended to use the 70-300:(

cyclone2
11-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Dude 1 is almost twice as long as the other LMAO!

Cyberwlf
11-07-2008, 01:36 PM
I have been constantly traveling for the last few months, and had my camera glued to me. But there were atleast two occasions i thought i would just 'duck out quickly' to get something and hadn't even brought my LX3 with me and missed photo opportunities! Damned be the timing :P