PDA

View Full Version : Wedding photography Help

sid369
10-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Hi Guys,

I don't know how much you guys can help, but I thought I should still go ahead and ask.

My friend is getting married and the bride and the groom are both from India and are looking for wedding photographers in Chicago area. Their wedding will be in Aurora,IL.
There don't know whether they should go with an american photographer or an Indian. They can't seem to find american wedding photographers who also specialize in Indian wedding photography. Indian weddings different than American weddings, so they need someone who can capture the right moments for them.
Could you guys suggest what will the best option here. also if anyone can point me to the right direction I can share this information with my friend. Also keep in mind the budget, they would like to have it under $1000.

Thanks

Camerajunkie
10-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Why can't the bride and groom tell an American photographer what the special moments they want captured will be?

And good luck finding a wedding photographer for under $1000, especially if that budget includes prints at all.

aparmley
10-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Ya, I'm going to second CJs remarks.

First, in Chicago, I'd expect the cheapest WP that will give you decent results will be in the 2-3k range. Thats how it is in down here in the country, so I'd imagine in chicago, where everything else is more expensive, WPs would follow suit. So, you're looking at spending $2,000 to $3,000 on a decent WP.

Now, you're wanting a WP that specializes in a indian ceremony. thats more specialized, typically thats more $$. While CJ suggests you explain to the photographer what the important parts are, I'm going to say that until they have gone through an indian wedding, then just telling them isn't going to be enough. You're going to want someone who has done it before or at the very least been to a few so they know what happens when etc etc.

sid369
10-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Ok, I will let them know about the budget, but the are you guys suggesting that its better to get a photographer who has shot Indian wedding before. Is there any website I can look to find out. I tried google and its shows Indian wedding photographers in NY, NJ but didn't find any in Chicago.

found this http://www.melissajeanweddings.com/
and this
http://jameswphoto.com/index2.php?v=v1

Their prices are decent but the big question is can they handle Indian wedding.

tim11
10-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Coming from an ethnic background myself I'd say it's best to get a photographer who knows about the tradition, otherwise there will be a lot of important moments missed. The 2nd best option is to get someone to tell the American photographer when the moments will come but even then the photog. will not be in perfect angles to capture the shots as if he knows it instinctively.

mugsisme
10-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Can I offer you another suggestion? Can you get a hold of a video? If you can sit down with the photographer, and show them, look, see this moment, this is important. And then when this happens, we want photos of that. Make sure they are writing down what is important.

Also, is there possibly another wedding they may be able to attend before?

You could always offer it up that if they become proficient in taking pictures that really capture the moment, it is something they could advertise. They would probably be used by others who want similar results. It works for both of you to your advantage.

I will tell you this. I got married over 21 years ago, and I do believe my mom paid a lot more than a thousand for the photographer. (The videographer was separate.)

jcon
10-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Go here...

http://ppa.com/

Its the site for Professional Photographers Of America. I am a paid member. Id suggest every professional out there become a member.. but anyway, I post this to help the OP.. once you click the link, you can browse all the PPA photographers that are members and backed by PPA. You can search locally or out of state, so you will be able to look in the Chicago area, and will even give links to their own websites.

Good luck.

Oh hey, Leah, is your mom looking to adopt? LOL :D:p

imagesbyjudd
10-12-2008, 10:50 PM
What you are asking for is not impossible in terms of price. Althoug in that price range it can be a roll of the dice. And as others have said finding someone with a specific ethnic exeperience in your price range significantly reduces the odds.

I'm shooting 3 to 5 weddings a month at the moment, this weekend being somewhat unusal as I had one Friday, Saturday, and just got back from my 3rd for the weekend. I still have 3 booked for Oct. My base package is 700.00, but that does not include prints. I give a dvd to the couple and post to a web site for others to order from. I'm still building my business so I'm not in the upper end price wise yet.

So that is why I'm saying you may be able to find the price. I would suggest a very detailed plan of the events, review the location, possibly even having the photographer come to the rehersal, it that is part of the custom. They will probably have to pay extra for the time, but if your photographer is smart he or she will use it to everyone's advantage.

They can get an idea of location, light, camera angles, make note as to limitations of move or use of flash that may be imposed. The wedding I shot today, the couple had the rehersal just prior to the wedding, so worked out great I was able to move around and take shots that would have been difficult at best if not impossible to do during the actual ceremony. It was a full dress rehersal with out the guests, we finished up about an hour before the ceremony, and did about 80% of the formals while waiting for guests to arrive and the actual wedding.

I know a lot may oppose this suggestion, but I advertise on craigs list and have gotten a number of good contacts there. Just be realistic.

Best of luck

tim11
10-12-2008, 11:07 PM
I know a lot may oppose this suggestion, but I advertise on craigs list and have gotten a number of good contacts there. ....
Not me. I am with this suggestion providing OP can find a photographer for the right price who is willing to do the homework. And unless there is some recommendation from others you won't know what you are getting until it's too late.
I just have some bad experience with a friend's daughter wedding. The pro. just sat there stunt when it all happened and I ended up capturing most important moments on my F30.. lol.

mugsisme
10-13-2008, 08:12 AM
I know a lot may oppose this suggestion, but I advertise on craigs list and have gotten a number of good contacts there. Just be realistic.

I think Craigs List is a crap shoot. I have a friend who had someone come take pictures of her family for holiday cards. AFTER all was said and done, the woman popped on a huge travel expense, because the woman lived quite a distance away. The pictures were very amateurish as well. The whole experience was a waste to my friend.

erichlund
10-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Contact one of the non-local photographers and ask for advice. Either they may know someone in your area, or they may be willing to consult with a local photographer to point them in the right direction. It will be an added expense, but it could be well worth it.

Jason, 20+ years ago it was traditional for the parents of the bride to pick up all the expenses of the wedding, but girls were much more likely to get married right out of school. Of course, many still follow that tradition, but in many cases, nowadays, it's common for the couple to pay for the bulk of the wedding expenses. This is also much more likely when the ladies follow a career path and get married later.

sid369
10-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Thank you guys. My friend has contacted one of the photographers that I had posted the link on the first page and the photographer looks like he wants this challenge and asked the bride and the groom to give him directions. But its a risk like you guys pointed out that he might not identify the right moment and miss it completely, since this being a ethnic wedding. They are planning on meeting with the photographer and discussing details. Less hope they find a good photographer. Talking to some out of state photographers sounds like a good idea as they might have contacts in Chicago.