PDA

View Full Version : Secure Digital Media SD memory card questions

c2ironfist
01-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Hey guys

I was wondering about my ATP 512 SD card ( 60X )
Friends High Speed Lexar 1 gig card ( 30X )

I was wondering how come when viewing the memory in my Digital camera it my 512mb card shows up as 489mb and my friends 1 gig card shows up as 975mb

Are we only getting 489mb and 975mb worth of memory?

I find this really strange because if so we are getting ripped arn't we? We are losing about 25mb for the 1 gig card and 23mb for the 512mb card.

Please if some one can answer that'd be great

David Metsky
01-19-2005, 09:43 PM
This question gets asked frequently so a search will come up with more details. While the card holds the listed amount of memory, some of it is used up for header and file information needed to store and retrieve your pictures. Your cards have the listed amount, but some of it is needed for uses other than direct image storage.

c2ironfist
01-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Ahh I see thanks David

Anothe question :)

I read somewhere that you have to format your card with the camea you are using for it to perform well. Wondering if that is true?

I recently sold my previous camera the Optio S40 great camera by the way for its price for a PowerShot SD300 Digital Elph another great camer though x2 the Price eek...

And I was wondering though if it is necessary to format your card first before using it on the camera?

thanks