PDA

View Full Version : Memory Card write/read speed

c2ironfist
01-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Hey guys

I have a SD300 Digital Elph. I like to make movie clips with my camera and I was wondering about the speed of the SD cards how fast a card should be and which ones to consider

I own 512mb ATP 60X card and it records movies without any problems at the highest video quality... however I want to buy a 1 gig card but price difference of up to 100$ with name brand cards

My camera I've read that highest quality movies roughly write at 2.2 megs a second I read it in a review somewhere..

I've read on some cards that high speed 32X writes at 4megs a second.. but to keep it safe I'd like to get some opinions

I'm not sure if that is a read or write but yhaa to keep it safe would a high speed 32X card or less work perfectly fine on my camera recording movies? Would the performance be the same?

What are things that I should consider when buying a card when dealing with write/read speed?

David Metsky
01-19-2005, 08:45 PM
The basic Sandisk 512M card (not the Ultra-II) handles full write speeds on the SD300, so you don't need a high speed card from them. I can't speak for other manufacturers.

gr7797
01-20-2005, 10:42 AM
David, do you believe that the same is true for the SD200, that just the basic sd card is fine, how fast is that card anyway? Thanks.

c2ironfist
01-20-2005, 10:46 AM
From what I've read the SD200 and SD300 the only difference is that the SD300 has 0.8 megapixels more then the SD200 other then that everything else is all the same...

I've looked into getting either one and I went for the more expensive SD300 :D

D70FAN
01-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Hey guys

I have a SD300 Digital Elph. I like to make movie clips with my camera and I was wondering about the speed of the SD cards how fast a card should be and which ones to consider

I own 512mb ATP 60X card and it records movies without any problems at the highest video quality... however I want to buy a 1 gig card but price difference of up to 100$ with name brand cards

My camera I've read that highest quality movies roughly write at 2.2 megs a second I read it in a review somewhere..

I've read on some cards that high speed 32X writes at 4megs a second.. but to keep it safe I'd like to get some opinions

I'm not sure if that is a read or write but yhaa to keep it safe would a high speed 32X card or less work perfectly fine on my camera recording movies? Would the performance be the same?

What are things that I should consider when buying a card when dealing with write/read speed?

For future reference:

1X = 150KB/sec. so at 2.2MB/sec that equals about 15X.

Read Daves reply above. Incidentely, thanks Dave.

I will only add that high speed cards (even 26X) using a USB2.0HS reader, with a USB2.0HS equiped computer, download considerably faster than standard speed cards. So if workfolw is an issue then high speed cards may be of higher interest.

David Metsky
01-20-2005, 12:42 PM
I will only add that high speed cards (even 26X) using a USB2.0HS reader, with a USB2.0HS equiped computer, download considerably faster than standard speed cards. So if workfolw is an issue then high speed cards may be of higher interest.
My antiquated computer doesn't support USB2.0, but when I get a new laptop then it's possible that a faster card might make sense. Is it really noticable on a 512 or 1G card?

D70FAN
01-20-2005, 12:57 PM
My antiquated computer doesn't support USB2.0, but when I get a new laptop then it's possible that a faster card might make sense. Is it really noticable on a 512 or 1G card?

USB2.0HS even makes a noticeable difference with standard speed cards. With high speed cards it only gets better. With 40X cards the download is much faster. I'll run some tests tonight and let you know the results. My wifes system still has USB1.1. ;)

gr7797
01-20-2005, 01:03 PM
? speed is in no way correlated with how long your camera can record in video mode, right?

- could I have an empty 32x card and an empty 60x card and get the same amount of video on it?

c2ironfist
01-20-2005, 01:18 PM
The speed thing.. doesn't matter how much video you can hold on your memory.. its the amount of memory..

Speed is about how fast the card can write at.. If a card max speed is 4 mb per second and your camera writes at 3 megs then your fine

You still get 512mb worth of video out of a 512mb card that is either 32X or 60X

David Metsky
01-20-2005, 02:02 PM
? speed is in no way correlated with how long your camera can record in video mode, right?

- could I have an empty 32x card and an empty 60x card and get the same amount of video on it?
It depends on if your camera can overwhelm the write speed of your video card. If you have a slow card on the SD300, for example, it will only write roughly 20 seconds of high quality video before overflowing the camera's write buffer. At that point it will stop taking video so it can flush the buffer.

Think of it this way, you have a bucket with a hole in the bottom. You are filling the bucket with a hose. If there is more water flowing out of the hose that can flow out of the hole in the bucket, the water level in the bucket will rise until eventually it hits to the top and threatens to flow over. At this point, the camera stops capturing video. If the hole in the bucket is made bigger (a faster memory card) the outflow can keep up with the inflow and the water level will never rise.

So, you can still get 1 G worth of video on a slow card, but you might have to break it up into 20 seconds apiece. I don't think on most cameras it would be a problem with 32x or 60x cards, but on slower cards this can be a problem.

c2ironfist
01-20-2005, 02:44 PM
Seeing on how we are on the subject of memory cards :)

Dave do you think you can answer me this question I've asked it many times in other threads

How come my previous camera the Optio S40 can get 20 mins of videos at 320x240 at 30fps out of a 512mb card where as my SD300 does the same thing but maxes out at nearly 12minutes?

I'm really stumped seriously.... it really bothers me lol

Wondering does it have anythign to do with the way the camera stores the data?
Video Quality?

I've compared videos and the Optio S40 seems to have a slighty bettor looking videos with the exception of the dark and white thing poping up changing colours.

They both are AVI files as well.

let me know if you know or have any ideas Dave :)

David Metsky
01-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Dave do you think you can answer me this question I've asked it many times in other threads
If I knew the answer I would have answered it in one of the other places you asked it. :cool:

c2ironfist
01-20-2005, 09:12 PM
If I knew the answer I would have answered it in one of the other places you asked it. :cool:

haha I know... but I'm getting desperate here lol

I was hoping you'd lie to me or something and say hey.. you know its because the SD300 video quality is much bettor that is why it take 50% more space then the Optio S40 :cool:

You've been the only constant guy so far to have answered most of my questions so.... its all good I'll find out sooner or later :confused:

But thanks for all the help you've provided me before.. really great stuff I can sleep bettor at night hehe :p

gr7797
01-21-2005, 03:14 AM
DAVID, WOW what an analogy, that was a perfect way to explain it , I dont think I could ever forget that. Thanks....

D70FAN
01-21-2005, 12:46 PM

In my unscientific test last night here is what happened using 512 CF cards.
I used the same 497MB of D70 JPEG files for all uploads and downloads.

Test 1: USB2.0HS computer with (cheap) USB2.0HS 6-in-1 card reader (times in minutes:seconds):

PQI 40X 512 CF Card Upload = 1:07
PQI 40X 512 CF Card Download = 1:18

Kingston Std Speed Card Upload = 2:00
Kingston Std Speed Card Download = 2:24

Test 2: USB1.1 computer with USB 1.1 internal 8-in-1 card reader.

PQI 40X 512 CF Card Upload = 10:24
PQI 40X 512 CF Card Download = Not worth testing

Kingston Std Speed Card Upload = 13:16
Kingston Std Speed Card Download = Not worth testing

Since download speed was longer in the USB2.0HS test, the speed difference is so substantial that I didn't feel it was worth the time to run the download test.

You can see that the PQI 40X card was about 2 times faster than the Kingson standard speed card on the high speed system, and about 30% faster on the low speed system.

For 128MB cards that I was using with my old 990 and my wifes Sony S85, the old sytem was acceptable. But using it at 512MB is painfully slow, and a 1GB card would be intolerabe.

After I did this test my wife wants me to upgrade her computer this weekend. Good thing Fry's has a Semperon 2500 with ECS motherboard for $84.99. ;) I already have a spare USB2.0HS reader from these guys.

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/DRV10466.html

In the near term, of course, you can allways get a USB2.0HS PC Card (PCMCIA) adapter for about $20 from these guys:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2PU2PCCARD&cat=NBB

This is a good one.. :)

Hope this helps.