PDA

View Full Version : Stigma of being a DSLR user...

Actaeon
10-07-2008, 01:00 PM
I notice when I go out shooting, everyone almost always has a comment on the camera. I don't mind so much, but I'll admit, it does get quite old when I'm asked the same question several times a day.

I always seem to get...

"How much did that cost?"
"How much zoom does it have?"
"How many megapixels does your camera have?"
"I bet that camera takes great pictures."

I never got these questions when I'm shooting my little Panasonic P&S...

Are there any comments that you seem to get over and over?

GaryS
10-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I think you covered them all...

oh, you can include

"I think he's compensating for something" (muttered under their breath as they walk away).

DonSchap
10-07-2008, 01:21 PM
GaryS ... I said that when we met, too! LOL :D :p

Yeah, usually when you pop the tripod, people start to leave you alone. They probably think you are professionally shooting and tend to avoid you.

"How much is that?" usually gets, "I think the going priice is in the BestBuy ad. Thanks." ;)

I rather doubt most people would realize the difference between most DLSR classes.

rdub202
10-07-2008, 01:39 PM
while i dont have a DSLR, i can relate.

i race radio control cars, so any time im out just driving one in the yard i get all the typical questions. you can just be rude and people will leave you alone. lol

TheWengler
10-07-2008, 02:21 PM
People always say...

"How tall are you?"
"Do you play basketball?"
"Look how much you've grown!"
"Can you get that bowl off the top shelf for me?"
"Can you change this light bulb for me?"

I don't get too many photography related comments, but I try to avoid shooting around people. They just get in the way. Unless of course I'm taking pictures of them. I always have my tripod too. Like Don said, maybe that helps. It's big heavy and can be used as a weapon if the questions get too annoying.

rdub202
10-07-2008, 02:28 PM
baha, im 6-foot-4 i get those too.

best response to "do you play basketball?" is:

"no, do you play miniature golf?"

TheWengler
10-07-2008, 02:41 PM

Haha, nice. :D

K1W1
10-07-2008, 03:26 PM
When I was at the MotoGP on Friday it seemed that every second person in the crowd had a DSLR. DSLR's were so prominent that I was looking twice at people using P&S or Camera phones.

BTW. A totally unscientific guess on my part but I would say Pentax are the big winners in the DSLR market amongst people who go to MotoGP in Australia.

Rooz
10-07-2008, 03:43 PM

lmfao...thats gold.

aparmley
10-07-2008, 04:49 PM
That is gold, as a fellow 6-4er I'd use that one if people asked me that, they look at the beer gut and they know, I don't ball anymore. I grocery shop, cook, and enjoy ice cold budweisers.

My favorite is when someone says, wow, thats a cool photo, you must have expensive gear and I say, yes I do, but I make my wife work the camera, too many buttons for me, hey, you got a cold one?

gsusmaniac
10-07-2008, 05:09 PM
I being 6'5" and 290lbs...makes my DSLR kinda looks like a P&S in my hands...lol

But I tend to get the "Do you play football?" a lot! Im sort of built like a wall :c)

DonSchap
10-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Oh, so it's you I'm trying to shoot around! :mad:

Next time, buddy ... remember, there are others behind you trying to ...

GET THE SHOT! :D

gsusmaniac
10-07-2008, 06:30 PM
lol...I usually stand in the back for that very reason...I can shoot over all the midgets...um...I mean shorter people around me :D

DonSchap
10-07-2008, 06:39 PM
I'll be honest with you, life is tough on the big folks. Standing 6'1", I was still relatively safe walking around through our nation's Naval vessels, once you exceeded 6'2" ... you were in great danger of scalp injury ... or WORSE! :eek:

So, my 'hard hat' is off to ya ... and don't forget to duck when you go for a walk in a USN Destroyer or anything else, out there in the fleet.

Yes, I have pictures! :D

Spinning
10-07-2008, 07:12 PM
hmmm that would be me....the one with camera envy! LOL! and the short one who has to be up front!
Some day I will join you guys! Well maybe not with the height but with the camera!

Dread Pirate Roberts
10-07-2008, 08:30 PM
I sort of find the opposite, the camera is a great icebreaker and I usually get a good chat from passers buy.

Now I wish I'd known this when I was single trying to pick up girls.

rdub202
10-07-2008, 08:53 PM
...now i wish i'd known this when i was single trying to pick up girls.

*runs and buys dslr*

DonSchap
10-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Overheard on a beach: "Excuse me, Miss ... I may be married, but I would love to have you POSE for me ... the wife is off with the kids for a couple hours ... there's $60 in it for you ... hotel room number #345."

Yeah ... have camera ... will travel! ;)

Turo
10-07-2008, 09:21 PM
I usually get the same thing:

Them: "How many megapixels does that thing have?"
Me: "Six"
Them: "Oh, mine has XX" (XX is usually some number no smaller than 9, and they say this as they show me their little P&S)

It never seizes to amaze me how many people think that more MP = better image, no-matter what.

rawpaw18
10-08-2008, 03:51 AM
Turo,
I say the same thing "6" and they look at me like blankly.

Surely you have more zoom than this ultra zoom, "not really mines less than 3x."

They walked away thinking I was messing with them, kind of was.

Oh and 6'3" here, we should definitely have a pick up basketball game. See what the Canon boys can put together.

K1W1
10-08-2008, 06:04 AM
Now I wish I'd known this when I was single trying to pick up girls.

When I was trying to pick up girls you had to take the film to the Chemist to be developed. DSLR's have opened up a whole new world. :D:D

Camerajunkie
10-08-2008, 10:15 AM
I come from a family of tall people. My dad is 6'4" and I have a 6' tall sister, who married a 6' tall Marine and now has a 6'2"+ tall 16 year old, lol.

That said, I'm only 5'9". My mom was 5'2", so I think I still came out ahead.....

And most people don't ask me about my camera. :(

gsusmaniac
10-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Funny...I kind of got it reversed. My moms 5'4" and my dads 5'8"..Im 6'5" and my sister is 6'

Funny how that works isnt it!

K1W1
10-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Funny...I kind of got it reversed. My moms 5'4" and my dads 5'8"..Im 6'5" and my sister is 6'

Funny how that works isnt it!

That's because they grew up on real food and you and most younger people have grown up on food laced with chemicals including growth hormones.

DonSchap
10-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Nothing wrong with being huge ... just need to buy a bigger house, that's all ... and put a big ol' caddie in the driveway. Things have a way of working out, you know.

You can palm your DSLR into concerts and no one even knows!

gsusmaniac
10-08-2008, 02:42 PM
lol...that pic is hilarious...!

No huge Caddies in the driveway. But I do drive a 73 VW Bug, 84 VW Rabbit, 81 VW Caddy (Pickup) All with custom seats installed by yours truly of course!

**Oh and yeah, I agree with we eat differently than our parents!

LR Max
10-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Whenever I hear comments about my equipment in public, I always reply:

"We don't take no shit!"
"I am in it, to win it."
"You should see my other one."
"This is just practice."

e_dawg
10-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Yep, get that all the time too. Someone told me this gem a little while back:

A photographer when to a dinner party. "What lovely pictures you take", said the hostess, "you must have a wonderful camera!"

"What lovely food you cook," replied the photographer, "You must have a wonderful pot!"

DonSchap
10-08-2008, 07:43 PM
And thus ended what was a really nice dinner, with a backhanded slap! :eek:

Guess the photographer forgot where he eats, eh?

Fiasco
10-09-2008, 04:34 PM
If out just street shooting, I get "What paper are you shooting for?" a lot. When working with a model I get "What magazine is this for?".

There was a period when it had really started to bug me... but I'm over it now. I just shrug it off.

If someone is being really persistent about it, I tell the model beforehand to just go along with whatever magazine I say, and just spit out a random name, like King Magazine, or Maxim... that usually satisfies their curiosity and they move along after that.

OFF-TOPIC: Why do I feel "vertically challenged" all of a sudden?

DonSchap
10-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Fiasco ... you are just a flower in the tall grass... LOL ;)

Fiasco
10-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Fiasco ... you are just a flower in the tall grass... LOL ;)

I feel like a race jockey walking among NBA centers here!! lol

DonSchap
10-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Get a picture! LOL :D

Fiasco
10-09-2008, 07:15 PM
I would but I would need a full frame body for that shot...

Besides I'm still camera-less at the moment thanks to Nikon's need to hold cameras for weeks before they even do anything to them. AAAARRGHH!! I'm getting closer to just biting the bullet and buying a different body.

DonSchap
10-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Don't feel too lonely, my A700 is already a week under the knife, in Connecticut. Talk about withdrawal ... but, I am mitigating it with my SONY A100. Whew, it's tough. :(

Turn
10-09-2008, 09:59 PM
I usually get the same thing:

Them: "How many megapixels does that thing have?"
Me: "Six"
Them: "Oh, mine has XX" (XX is usually some number no smaller than 9, and they say this as they show me their little P&S)

It never seizes to amaze me how many people think that more MP = better image, no-matter what.

:)

OFF-TOPIC: Why do I feel "vertically challenged" all of a sudden?

don't worry, I'm only like 5"9 :(

I get only one public reaction

awkward looks at concerts because I'm in the crowd, shooting without any ID which people move out of the way which I have to tell them DON'T BOTHER MOVING because they're never in the shot..

I never get asked about my equipment or anything, I guess its the way I shoot...

Fiasco
10-09-2008, 10:17 PM
:)

don't worry, I'm only like 5"9 :(

See you're 5'9". You JUST made it. 1 inch less and you would just be considered short. I'm 5'8"... and if I had a dime for every time I've heard girls say "well a guy has to be at least 5'9"..." I could bail out Wall Street on my own. lol

Don, I'm actually considering buying a Sony alpha system... I was looking at the a100, a200, a300 and a350 which to me seem like the same camera with a different model number... I'm so confused.

DonSchap
10-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Just hang loose for a month of two ... unless there is a desperate hurry. I have this sensational feeling prices are just about to really get a lot lower. And if you are really planning to stick with photography, forget the "intro" cameras and get an α700. I think you will realize a lot more with it.

Fiasco
10-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Just hang loose for a month of two ... unless there is a desperate hurry. I have this sensational feeling prices are just about to really get a lot lower. And if you are really planning to stick with photography, forget the "intro" cameras and get an α700. I think you will realize a lot more with it.

I can wait a few months before I jump in... I figure it would be a good idea to get a body that can use all the old Minolta glass I inherited from my uncle. I feel like he's looking over my shoulder appalled that I would let his lenses sit in a cupboard.

Besides having 2 systems will come in handy.

DonSchap
10-10-2008, 03:58 PM
You need to make sure they are AF lenses ... and not MD or MC glass.

Fiasco
10-10-2008, 10:11 PM
You need to make sure they are AF lenses ... and not MD or MC glass.

Ok, I've checked and they are all AF lenses except for 1 MD lens.

cincyimages
10-28-2008, 08:59 PM
I get the obligatory comment, "Are you a professional?" With that being said, I don't think 90% of the people that ask me that question even know what it means to be a professional.

DonSchap
10-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Heck, the word "amateur" doesn't even measure up, any more.

We should re-rank photographers ... just be be a little truer to form.

1 - Novice
2 - Beginner/Student
3 - Trained
4 - Advanced Hobbiest/Paid Part-time Pro
5 - Paid Full Time Professional/Very Advanced Hobbiest
6 - Manufacturer's Pro Rep

Just a thought ... be a hero and share your own!

erichlund
10-29-2008, 08:00 AM
6 - Manufacturer's Pro Rep ???

Ummm...How about -10. I'm sure there are a few good ones, but I usually equate a Manufacturer's Rep to a used car salesman. Unfortunately, some of them know just enough to talk a good game, but they're not hired because they are great photographers. They are hired because they move stock.

fionndruinne
10-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Doesn't Don rep for Sony? :)

erichlund
10-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Sadly, his is an unpaid position... ;-)

Geoff Chandler
11-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Just read through this thread thus far, very entertaining!! :) :D :cool: :eek:
I DO get a few of those comments - usually things like
'Are you a professional?'
To which I sometimes say: - 'Yes, but not a photographer'
Usually does the trick...
I do get upset if I have my backup KM A200 (P&S) and people ask me if that's a DSLR?
Don't really envy all you taller guys (I am a mere 5'10 1/2 - the 1/2 has aways seemed
important somehow - I am just turning 50 and expect to loose the 1/2 sometime soon!!).
The only times I envy the taller guys is when they get the better view for a photo, I have
known plenty of taller people throught the years ~ my cousins husband is a good photographer
and a really nice guy and stands at 6'8" - so he does get a better view at times - although a
lot of door frames force him to stoop!!
Bearing all the above and previous comments I take care to bite my tongue, especially when
photographing my son at a concert or performance, if there are other people around - with
DSLR's taking photos. I really had to stop myself on one occasion when I was at an occasion,
without the camera, and witnessed someone with a 400D taking photos in full auto mode and
I could see the results were really bad on the screen!!