PDA

View Full Version : Colors causing confusion!

fionndruinne
10-04-2008, 11:49 PM
So I've been editing my photos "quick and dirty" in Picasa lately (I'm putting out a lot of puppy stuff for pet-shoppers on the net), and I'm finding that the color of the image when displayed in Picasa isn't the same as the file I get in explorer when I export it. Specifically the saturation is rather over-the-top in explorer. I'm confused - it's inconvenient, because I'm having to tone down the saturation in Picasa beyond what looks good to get something decent, and that's hit-or-miss. Anyone have any ideas? All I have now is the possibility that my shooting in AdobeRGB is to blame, and Picasa's conversion to sRGB in export makes for the overt saturation. I'm going to try shooting in sRGB next time, but in the meanwhile I'm puzzled.

Visual Reality
10-05-2008, 08:08 AM
You need to shoot in sRGB for starters, and make sure all of your programs are using the same color management.

erichlund
10-05-2008, 09:47 AM
A decent editor will convert from AdobeRGB to sRGB without problems. I'm not familiar with Picasa, but I have no problems with conversions done in PSP. If you are shooting RAW, the colorspace is more of a suggestion than a rule. If you are shooting jpeg, conversions may be more difficult, in which case I'd agree, shoot in your intended output format (sRGB).

OTOH, it just occurred to me, isn't Picasa an online editor? If that's the case, your viewing the image in a browser, so you would almost have to be in sRGB all the time. Convert to sRGB BEFORE you upload, and see if that improves your result.

Visual Reality
10-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Non-color managed browser sounds like the culprit.

K1W1
10-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Non-color managed browser sounds like the culprit.

Try using Firefox 3 it's colour managed. Not sure about IE I never use it.

fionndruinne
10-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Picasa is not web-based. However I have my suspicions that it performs certain subtle changes upon an image when displayed through the program itself; kind of optimizing it... so maybe the edit I see in Picasa is not exactly what the rest of the image-display world sees. If that's the case, I'm going to have to wait on slower Lightroom a lot more. But I plan on testing sRGB next time I shoot (time being the decisive factor in when that is).