PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone backup online?

herc182
10-02-2008, 12:06 PM
I was just reading through Pop Photography and realised that its not such a stupid idea to have a back up online.

Reason being that I back up onto an external HDD, but what if there is a fire, fault with HDD or someone steals it?

I was looking at http://www.carbonite.com/ and they have good reviews. Might backup all my photos and docs onto there and then I can also access them anywhere with an internet connection. I realised I have EVERYTHING electronically so if for some reason things were to go tits up, I could always fall back on that.

Comments?

jcon
10-02-2008, 12:30 PM
I personally dont. I back-up to an external HD, and also to a DVD. Keep the DVD somewhere the external HD isnt.. that way if there is a fire... both back-ups wont be lost.

I dont trust online back-ups myself. What happens if they go out of business, or have equipment problems? I trust myself alot more than I do online sites.

Just my own preferences I guess.

Classic96
10-02-2008, 03:34 PM
I also back up to a HD. I use a 1tb WD Mybook external and 2 internal drives all mirrored. However I do have a complete backup of all sellable photos on my SmugMug site. I can download those at anytime to recover lost files.

K1W1
10-03-2008, 02:12 AM
I effectively use Flickr for online backups of photos. Not every photo is there but there are enough that if something happens at this end the memories will be retained.

herc182
10-03-2008, 02:50 AM
I effectively use Flickr for online backups of photos. Not every photo is there but there are enough that if something happens at this end the memories will be retained.

Well I have the better ones on there but a load that I wouldnt upload (like ones of my family).

Anyway, its all backed up on a External HDD but its in the event something happens to that! Since I am moving to Hungary, I have become a bit too edgy if something were to happen!

GaryS
10-03-2008, 12:04 PM
I backup my photos and a few other key folders online, using a product called JungleDisk together with Amazon's S3 service. Jungledisk is the software you install, and Amazon runs the cloud servers that store your data.

Jungledisk is nice, as it does incremental updates of my photos every night (new ones are pushed to the cloud), and it does version history to keep old or deleted versions around.

www.jungledisk.com if you want to check it out.

Camerajunkie
10-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Hell, even my kids know that if there is a fire they have to get themselves out as I'll be going for the laptop and EHD. :D

K1W1
10-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Well I have the better ones on there but a load that I wouldnt upload (like ones of my family).

You can make photos private and remove them from the search engine.

Visual Reality
10-03-2008, 04:31 PM
In 6 months time I have already accrued 20GB of photos (many of which haven't been sorted through, the final total will be less) so online backup simply isn't feasable.

TNB
10-03-2008, 04:51 PM
In 6 months time I have already accrued 20GB of photos (many of which haven't been sorted through, the final total will be less) so online backup simply isn't feasable.
Only 20GB? Are you shooting .jpg or raw? If you are shooting raw, it appears that you should go take more photos. ;)

Visual Reality
10-03-2008, 05:09 PM
NEF all the way baby (then converted to DNG).

I don't shoot that often, really :(

re.ac.tor
10-04-2008, 09:41 PM
I tried carbonite for a short period and did not like it. It seemed like my hard drive was spinning all the time and it did slow my machine down.

Don't take my word for it though, they have a free trial period and you can unload their software if you don't like it.

re.ac.tor

Visual Reality
10-04-2008, 09:58 PM
It seemed like my hard drive was spinning all the time and it did slow my machine down.
HDD's are always spinning unless you have power saving features that stop them ;). I know what you meant though, and it sounds like this is why:

Carbonite installs a small software program on your computer that works quietly in the background looking for new and changed files to back up.

It is this constant searching that works your disks overtime. However, they further go on to say:

When you’re using your computer, Carbonite goes to sleep so it will never slow down your computer or internet connection.