PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 55-200 VR

herc182
09-29-2008, 05:42 AM
Question:

I was using this lens (almost my favourite for contrast and sharpness straight out of the lens) on the weekend. I switched off VR as it was on a tripod. When I pressed to auto focus, when looking through the viewfinder, the lens juttered three times (and you could hear it clicking) then would autofocus.

Does that sound like its buggered?! Would be annoyed if that was the case :(

lorilu
09-29-2008, 08:23 AM
I have the same lens and it does the same thing. Quality of pictures not affected at all, but I took it in to a Nikon dealer when I was in the big city and they gave it a look for free. Everything else seems to be ok, so they said let it go until it stops working. It would definitely be a service issue and I'd be without the lens for awhile, so I thought I'd take a wait and see attitude. So far, so good, but it is disturbing to hear the noise, I agree.

herc182
09-29-2008, 09:24 AM
glad I am not the only one...its just a bit weird...

Think its the VR mechanism (even though it switched off).

lorilu
09-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Yes, I definitely think it's related to the VR. In fact, the guy at the shop said as long as I was shooting something fast-moving, turn the VR off. He didn't seem overly concerned about it, but he was definitely stumped as to why the lens was doing this.