PDA

View Full Version : Instant jpeg from RAW

K1W1
09-26-2008, 02:36 AM
I came across this (http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/archives/2027) on Scott Kelby's blog.

Basically it's a little utility that sits inside Windows Explorer (or the Mac equivalent - Finder?) which allows you to instantly extract the embedded jpeg from within RAW files to a new directory. One neat feature is that you can also nominate the pixel size of the extracted file if you wish. I've downloaded and installed it and it's kind of neat because it basically saves you having to shoot RAW+jpeg now you can do RAW only and extract the jpeg later if you want.
Best of all is the price - FREE! Can't argue with that. :D

herc182
09-26-2008, 02:44 AM
great link K1W1. going to download it now...

I also found a good link yesterday. If you upload the same photos to different websites you can use this FREE software.

Have not tried it yet but sounds really useful:

http://www.pixelpipe.com/

herc182
09-26-2008, 02:47 AM
Am I being slow here? I installed the software but cant find the option anywhere to convert to jpeg (and yes they are RAW files I am trying to convert!!)

herc182
09-26-2008, 02:57 AM
I assume that you realise that you have just violated the user agreement you accepted when you downloaded.
This is free software. The only thing the developers have done is asked for your email so they can send you information which you can opt out of receiving at any time after the first message.
These guys have gone to a lot of effort to develop a free product to give something back to the photographic community that supports their paid products at least allow them some benefit.
They did not have to offer the product for free and they wouldn't have if everybody was like you.

my bad...deleted the link

K1W1
09-26-2008, 03:13 AM
Am I being slow here? I installed the software but cant find the option anywhere to convert to jpeg (and yes they are RAW files I am trying to convert!!)

Ah!
Snap, same here.

Go to Windows Explorer and right click on a .NEF image and see what menu options you have. :)

I also downloaded the PDF user manual that is available.

herc182
09-26-2008, 03:31 AM
Ah!
Snap, same here.

Go to Windows Explorer and right click on a .NEF image and see what menu options you have. :)

I also downloaded the PDF user manual that is available.

Damn it! I still dont have any options....Will have to look at it later.

How annoying :)

Where did you get the PDF?

Thanks

K1W1
09-26-2008, 04:05 AM
The link is on the email that you should have got when you registered.

herc182
09-26-2008, 04:57 AM
ah i see...i really need to read things more often...

e_dawg
09-26-2008, 07:13 AM
Neat. I just found out about RAWs having embedded JPEGs a few weeks ago too. Heard that you can extract the JPEG with "dcraw -e". Haven't tried this utility yet, but I guess it is a more user-friendly method (GUI based?) than using dcraw on the command line?

cdifoto
09-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Nice. Extracts wicked fast.

THANG0359
09-26-2008, 09:58 AM
The file size of the jpegs seems awfully smaller than the ones I extract using picture project.. I've tested some and they're in the mid 600kb range. Has anyone else noticed this??.. Is it a lower quality jpeg just for viewing?

cdifoto
09-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Size depends on the camera. For my 10D, it'll extract a JPEG at the size you set in custom functions. For my 1D II, it'll extract the preview JPEG.

It's not a RAW converter to give you the full JPEG for working.