PDA

View Full Version : **Nikon/Photoshop NEF Conversion Software?**

Synapse
09-25-2008, 01:28 AM
Hello-

I recently bought a D300 Nikon. I want to use the NEF(RAW) capabilities. I have Photoshop CS2 and the free-ware "Nikon Transfer". CS2 has no RAW conversion capability but I can convert using the Nikon Transfer software.

I understand that Nikon Transfer converts as Nikon CaptureNX2(same conversion program), you just don't have the fine tuning, editing, ability as NX2.

My question. If I use the Nikon Transfer software to make the conversion, can I then import the image to CS2 and make all further image editing?

I'm under the impression that the image has to be converted(to .jpg or .tiff) then it can be edited by CS2? In this sense, Capture NX2 would do me no benefit over Nikon Transfer for conversion purposes if I were to follow with CS2 editing?

I own CS2 and want to use it. I understand the CS3 RAW converter is not as good as Nikon Transfer or NX2. Can I convert in Nikon Transfer, import to CS2 for editing and get optimal results? If not, how? :confused:

Thanks for any comments/suggestions...:D

Dread Pirate Roberts
09-25-2008, 03:30 AM
I thought capture NX came free with the D300 or was that only a special offer 8 months ago?

I don't use Ntransfer so can't be definative.

I use capture NX to do a quick and dirty batch conversion to jpegs. I then look at each image as a jpeg and work out which are the best ones to open in capture nx and fine tune exposure manually. I then save to 8 bit Tiff (since I've allready tweaked exposure in NX) and open in CS3 for further changes.

I gather the problem with opening raw directly in photochop is that it doesn't apply the camera presets to the raw data so you have to fine tune the image from scratch. As I understand it thats the only reason people don't like it as a raw converter.

CS2 won't open nefs.

As I understand it if you use transfer to convert nef to 16 BIT tiff then open the tiff in CS2 you won't lose any image quality.

NB Don't use 8 bit tiffs if you're adjusting exposure after.

Sorry for the long answer but it's a long question.:)

Rooz
09-25-2008, 03:49 AM
nikon transfer to download your files which will automatically open ViewNX.
use viewNX to view all your NEFS at full size to check for quality
delete the crap

select the rest and convert using viewNX

i often use ViewNX to make WB and exposure adjustments if i screw up the whole set. easy peasy.

Visual Reality
09-25-2008, 03:59 AM
I own CS2 and want to use it. I understand the CS3 RAW converter is not as good as Nikon Transfer or NX2.
Not true. All of my work is put into Bridge CS3 and converted to DNG (Digital Negatives) and I have no problems. Adobe ACR is far more powerful than anything else out there at the moment.

I use capture NX to do a quick and dirty batch conversion to jpegs. I then look at each image as a jpeg and work out which are the best ones to open in capture nx and fine tune exposure manually. I then save to 8 bit Tiff (since I've allready tweaked exposure in NX) and open in CS3 for further changes.
I wouldn't do it that way personally - if you are just working with JPEGs why are you shooting raw? I could understand if you wanted a master copy, but you are changing exposure of the JPEG after the fact instead of the raw data which is not the best way to go. Please correct me if I'm not understanding the way you worded your post.

I gather the problem with opening raw directly in photochop is that it doesn't apply the camera presets to the raw data so you have to fine tune the image from scratch. As I understand it thats the only reason people don't like it as a raw converter.
No, that's the reason that I do like it very much as my RAW tool of choice. I take all of my pictures with a neutral profile since I don't want the camera sharpening or boosting the saturation in any of my pics - that's what my ACR controls are for. It does a fine job, better than any in-camera control could hope to do.

CS2 won't open nefs.
If you have CS2 I think you need to look at the Adobe DNG Converter - this will take all of your raw files and make them into Digital Negatives. The files lose nothing but some file size since its a more efficient format. You can then work with them in ACR - the only thing I'm not sure about is the latest version that works with CS2.

Synapse
09-25-2008, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone,

Visual Reality-
Please excuse my newbe ignorance but what is Adobe ACR? :confused:

e_dawg
09-25-2008, 06:46 AM
Huh? CS2 can't use NEF files even with the latest version of ACR? I use CS3 so I don't know the details surrounding CS2, but I find it hard to believe you can't just use a more recent version of ACR or DNG converter to allow you to use CS2 even if you have to convert to TIFFs first before opening them in CS2.

ACR is Adobe Camera Raw, and it is able to read and convert virtually any RAW file. Newer cameras are supported within a month of their launch by downloading the latest version.

Visual Reality
09-25-2008, 02:25 PM
NEF files can be used - as long as they are converted first with the Adobe DNG Converter. Run them through there and you're golden. You will lose in-camera settings such as sharpening and saturation since Capture NX is the only thing that can read that data. If you're like me though, the reason I'm putting them into PS in the first place is so I can have the flexibility of ACR.

In CS3 you don't have to convert, as it can open NEF files. I convert anyway since it chops a bit off the file sizes and when dealing with thousands of images it makes a difference. It also eliminates "sidecar" files since all the data is stored right in the DNG file.

XaiLo
09-25-2008, 04:08 PM
The problem is Adobe stopped supporting CS2 directly so if your camera was manurfactuered after that time (ACR 3.7) was the last release for CS2)... it will not be supported directly. Available option: Convert to DNG using standalone DNG converter version that supports your camera. All free from Adobe. Then proceed to process in CS2. All done! :)

Dread Pirate Roberts
09-26-2008, 01:02 AM
I wouldn't do it that way personally - if you are just working with JPEGs why are you shooting raw? I could understand if you wanted a master copy, but you are changing exposure of the JPEG after the fact instead of the raw data which is not the best way to go. Please correct me if I'm not understanding the way you worded your post.

My bad explanation.
I only use the initial jpeg to select my favourite shots.
I then use the original nef for that shot. Opening the neff in NX and adjusting exposure of the nef before saving to an 8 bit tiff.

Yeah it's very roundabout but it works for me at least till I can further improve my workflow.