PDA

View Full Version : Annoying problem with forums

01-19-2005, 01:18 PM
This doesn't happen all the the time, but when it does its particularly annoying.

When I am not logged on and I click to reply to a post, the logon window shows up so I logon unchecking the remember me box. From there everything is fine, if I make a small post, there is no problem. But if I make a long one, there will always be an error appearing and it asks me to logon(again) and then there is a message which says something like my message could not be found. So then I click back to my post and sometimes its still there, I just click post and it works, some other times, its not there and then it pisses me off cuz it wasn't one of those 3 lines post, it was something more like 10-15-20 lines...

Not sure if the problem is related to me or the forums...

Jeff Keller
01-19-2005, 01:56 PM
This doesn't happen all the the time, but when it does its particularly annoying.

When I am not logged on and I click to reply to a post, the logon window shows up so I logon unchecking the remember me box. From there everything is fine, if I make a small post, there is no problem. But if I make a long one, there will always be an error appearing and it asks me to logon(again) and then there is a message which says something like my message could not be found. So then I click back to my post and sometimes its still there, I just click post and it works, some other times, its not there and then it pisses me off cuz it wasn't one of those 3 lines post, it was something more like 10-15-20 lines...

Not sure if the problem is related to me or the forums...

Could you provide more details about your computer setup? Browser? Cookie/security settings?

01-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Sure, but it doesn't only happen at home.. but here are my settings at home.

Win XP, running with IE. In confidentiality, it is set to moderatly high; internet security to medium... I think that's all.

haikai
01-20-2005, 07:05 AM
this happens to me as well. i don't think it's necessarily a problem with your computer. i believe it has to do with the way these kinds of forums are set up because it has happened to me on other forums that use this same kind of forum template. it's probably for security reasons that the forum will automatically log you out if you have been "idle" for too long. of course, maybe i just have some strange browser setting on that i did not realize...

when i anticipate that i will be writing a long response, i will usually copy what i've written before submitting it so that i can easily paste it back again when it prompts me to re-log back in. of course, it still makes me hunt to get back to the right thread which is annoying, but i dunno what else can be done about it. :o

hai

Rex914
01-25-2005, 12:34 AM
If you don't use cookies, vBulletin falls back on its sessions system. Sessions are stored temporarily in the database in a heap. They stay active for as long as the administrator chooses (usually 15 minutes). If you don't show activity (browse, post, etc.), the system removes you automatically, and you have to log in again.

As the previous person said, always copy your post before posting, especially if you using the WYSIWYG editor which doesn't cache your message at all. It's happened to many times to me before. Spare yourself the pain and remember to copy the message, especially if it's long.