PDA

View Full Version : Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G lens

shoey
09-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Looks good,

http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3802

almost tempted to swap now. I was waiting for an update to this.

K1W1
09-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Thats more money that Rooz's kids won't have in their inheritance.

http://www.dcresource.com/images/news/nikon_092208/AF-S_NIKKOR_50mm_f1.4G-tb.jpg

fionndruinne
09-21-2008, 11:07 PM
And starting out at less than Sigma's. Looks to trump that lens. Nikon wisely kept DX-format shooters in mind by giving it good portrait ability.

Now what I'd really like to see is an AF-S 35mm f/2 or 28mm f/2.8.

K1W1
09-21-2008, 11:28 PM
It's got provision for a lens hood as well. That will make some people happy.

From Nikon Australia

AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G Major Features

AF-S 50mm lens — a fast, single-focal-length lens with normal picture angle (when attached to a DX-format SLR, the picture angle is equivalent to a focal length of 75mm in FX/35mm format)

Large maximum aperture of f/1.4

Well-balanced design realises both high MTF performance and natural-looking picture blur

Newly developed optical system effectively corrects sagittal coma flare and chromatic aberration

Silent Wave Motor (SWM) ensures smooth, quiet AF operation

Two focus modes are available — M/A (manual-priority autofocus) and M (manual focus)

Focus ring does not rotate in AF operation

Natural blur effects thanks to nine-blade rounded diaphragm

Although all lens groups shift during focusing, the lens barrel length does not change

AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G Specifications

Focal length 50 mm

Maximum aperture f/1.4

Minimum aperture f/16

Lens construction 8 elements in 7 groups

Picture angle 46

Closest focusing distance 0.45 m/1.5 ft.

No. of diaphragm blades 9 (rounded)

Filter/attachment size 58mm

Diameter x length (extension from lens mount) Approx. 73.5 x 54 mm/2.9 x 2.1 in.

Weight Approx. 280 g/9.9 oz.

Supplied accessories 58mm snap-on front lens cap LC-58, Rear lens cap LF-1, Bayonet hood Flexible lens pouch CL-1013

Rooz
09-22-2008, 06:34 AM
thats a definate pre-order for my xmas present. very, very happy with this. :)

also of particular note is that this is not just an af-s update, there are also new rounded aperture blades to address the tricky bokeh you get sometimes with the nifty fifty.

looks great. lets hope its one of many more over the next 12 months. :)

VTEC_EATER
09-22-2008, 10:22 AM
It's got provision for a lens hood as well. That will make some people happy.

Holy Crap! I didn't even notice that at first. That is an awesome addition. I hate using my screw in lens hood on the F/1.8.

Sounds to be a completely new lens. No more lens design from 30 years ago in this 50mm lens. Looks to be a great lens. I am very excited to see what is around the corner. If Nikon plans on revamping their classic lenses in any way like they are revamping their camera bodies, I would expect a whole new lens line up of AF-S primes within the next couple years.

Lets just hope they can keep up with demand.

JTL
09-22-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm already fantasizing that I'm shooting it...just like when you meet a new hottie and start fantasizing about...wait...this is a family friendly site...:D:D:D

Actaeon
09-22-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm already fantasizing that I'm shooting it...just like when you meet a new hottie and start fantasizing about...wait...this is a family friendly site...:D:D:D

I bet you're glad you didn't get that Sigma after all :). This is cheaper and its a Nikkor!

When are you picking this up? Once I see some results, I may be offloading my current f/1.4D :).

Jonathan

VTEC_EATER
09-22-2008, 04:27 PM
IOnce I see some results, I may be offloading my current f/1.4D :).

Jonathan

Just the anticipation of this lens is why I never purchased the F/1.4. I knew AF-S was bound to happen, so I have just made due with the 1.8 for the past year. Spending the extra $200 for the regular F/1.4 was just not worth it in my mind. This one may be a bit pricey, but I think it will be well worth it.

However, one thing for some people to remember is that the G type lens will not work in reverse for macro possibilities (unless you like shooting wide open). I know some people really like flipping these 50mm lenses backwards and throwing on some jerry-rigged extension tubes, but that's just not possible with this new lens. I suppose you could always just use the 1.8 version, or go with an older AI-S version for cheap. Or get a proper micro lens...

Just thought I would state the obvious in case anyone missed that.

Screenclutter
09-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Hmm, what to do with my current 50mm 1.4, I bought it a year ago.

Rooz
09-22-2008, 09:04 PM
the new lens is a G type lens which means it wont work on alot of older bodies so i suspect the used market for the existing 50/1.4 will be strong.

rawpaw18
09-23-2008, 04:12 AM
SC

Through it up on Ebay before less informed people hear about the update, the sooner you do it the more you will make on the resell. IMO

JTL
09-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Hey, Rich...I noticed the Sarah "Drill, baby drill" quote in you sig and couldn't help wondering if that's the same advice she gave her daughter's boyfriend! Sorry...couldn't resist! :D:p:D

rawpaw18
09-24-2008, 04:15 AM
LOL, Might have been where she heard it first.