PDA

View Full Version : Need tips on shootin' moon

bass7858
09-16-2008, 06:16 PM
my background is i am novice learnin in spare time, which is not much.
last nite in central florida we had an excellent brite full moon. about 9 pm i decided to try and shoot some pics as i have seen some excellent moon shots on this forum.
camera is d40x. lens i chose was 70-300 4.5/5.6 i did something i have never done b4. i have a hard enuff time in pp shooting jpeg....musta lost my head last nite because i got a wild hair last nite and shot raw. like the controls i have shooting raw. have capture nx2 and elements. both can work raw.
as i said the moon was brite, and very nice cloud formations with moonlight reflecting off of them.
prob was....if i exposed enuff to capture the clouds reflecting moonlight the moon itself is way over exposed with no detail. if i shot to expoxe the moon clearly i ost the cloud detail. same in pp, if i adjusted exposure for the moon lost the clouds.
is there a certain type filter i should use? is there a sweet spot as far focal lenght or fstop for this lense? i had mounted on a tripod and vr turned off.
or should i just wait for a nite when the moon is not quite so brite.
any tips would be greatly appreciated
donnie

toriaj
09-16-2008, 09:29 PM
You're right, you really can't get the clouds and the moon in the same pic, if you want them both to be properly exposed. So you would need to take two separate images, one for clouds, one for moon, then combine them in PP, either as an HDR or pasting one image into the other. I think Elements can combine them, but not as HDR.