PDA

View Full Version : My D80 is falling apart... :(

Fiasco
09-14-2008, 11:21 PM
I only bought it in January, but my main D80, the one that recently was fixed by Nikon for the hot-pixel issue a couple of months back, is starting to fall apart on me.

First it started stalling during shoots. By stalling I mean that the camera would just get "stuck" and no longer focus when I pressed down on the shutter. I had to turn it off and back on again repeatedly. It's kind of random the frequency of this actually happening, one shoot it was on practically every shot I took I would have to turn it off and back on again, and today it was maybe 5 or six times during a 2 hour shoot I had to "re-boot". I have no idea what causes this. Maybe my shutter is dying, who knows. I have put about 15,000 clicks on it so far.

On top of that, the rubber on the D80 is peeling off. Now this may just be due to the absurd heat and humidity we've experienced this summer, but again, I chalk it up to the camera showing it's wear, I use it everyday, sometimes on back-to-back shoots, so it was bound to start getting some wear-n-tear eventually. A lot sooner than I anticipated though.

I did have an upgrade planned, but not for a few months, I was thinking around Christmas time I would get myself a D300. Hopefully my D80 lasts until then.

Any ideas about the shutter/focus stalling problem?

Rooz
09-14-2008, 11:50 PM
that's absurd. it should all be covered under warranty so it shouldnt cost you a cent. sounds like you got a real lemon. my d80 had over 25k on it when i sold it without a hitch.

Actaeon
09-15-2008, 12:16 AM
That doesn't sound right. I'd call Nikon about it. Meanwhile, I'd also suggest keeping a log of when these failures occur from now on as it may help when their Rep asks you how often it does it, you have some pretty good "data" behind your claims.

aparmley
09-15-2008, 04:45 AM
You want our D80s to split a cab to Nikon Service NY? Mines' heading out today - lens is stuck mounted on the body, won't come off.

Fiasco
09-15-2008, 07:04 AM
You want our D80s to split a cab to Nikon Service NY? Mines' heading out today - lens is stuck mounted on the body, won't come off.

Ouch, that would really suck!! Which lens?

D70FAN
09-15-2008, 07:28 AM
Didn't have much luck with the D80, as it liked the Nikkor lenses, but never seemed to bond with the Sigmas (which are my main lenses) so I sold it and went back to the D70.

D700 next... after I see how it works with the Sigmas.;)

cdifoto
09-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Warranty ain't up yet. Make the most of it.

500mL
09-15-2008, 09:19 AM
There's a place to bring it to in Union Square if you need it checked out especially that your D80 is still covered. Check out Phototech on 13th and 4th Ave.

aparmley
09-15-2008, 07:43 PM
the Siggy 10-20.

Good to see you're around George. My D80 loved my Sigma, until friday. It was always had a tight grip on my 35 and 85mm primes.

Fiasco
09-15-2008, 07:53 PM
the Siggy 10-20.

Good to see you're around George. My D80 loved my Sigma, until friday. It was always had a tight grip on my 35 and 85mm primes.

I am getting a Sigma 10-20mm very soon, that's discouraging to hear... Is there something wrong with the mount on it?

Fiasco
09-15-2008, 07:55 PM
There's a place to bring it to in Union Square if you need it checked out especially that your D80 is still covered. Check out Phototech on 13th and 4th Ave.

I'm going to take it over there sometime this week, thanks for the info.

Fiasco
09-16-2008, 09:31 PM
I took my D80 to Phototech and they said they can't do anything since "there is nothing wrong with the camera". I guess the camera only acts up when it's in my hands. As far as the peeling they called it normal wear and tear.

I've got a full weekend of shoots lined up, and I don't think my camera will get through it. I hate canceling shoots, it gives me a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach for some reason.

Lesson learned, never lend your backup camera body to a traveling friend.

I'm going to have to pick up a backup body before the weekend... probably a Fuji S2 or S3 Pro. But I don't know if either of those will be able to slave-trigger my SB-600 flashes...

Geoff Chandler
09-17-2008, 01:12 PM
OH FLIP!!!
I am literally just about to send my D80 back for Hot Pixals fix.!!!
I was hesitant as I was concerned it might come back with other problems -
SO:
I shall keep a record from the outset of everything - just in case!!
It is initially going to Jessops where I bought it - I have the 3 year cover.

Hey HO - lets see how that goes? - also - Just my luck - the day after I send it away - we are going to Borough Market in London where I have been waiting to take the camera for ages!!!

I have 2 Sigma lenses and I sort of echo what George says - I found the exposure inconstant with Matrix and Sigmas - (so) I use centre weighted generally with them and find the Matrix is fine with my Tamron.

aparmley
09-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Tineyi - dude, phototech is giving you a bunch of bull. take it over to NCS.

I've looked at your work - you're doing amazing things with that D80 man. I hope you're getting paid for that work, if so, join the Nikon professional whatcyamacallit - I believe they'll give you priority support/service.

Anyway, you do need an update. I'd look at the D700 man. Based on the work you do and your interests, its right up your alley. Hell, I'd come assist you if I was close and help you earn the extra greenage needed for D700.

Best of luck to you. NCS should have my camera tomorrow or the day after.

Fiasco
09-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Tineyi - dude, phototech is giving you a bunch of bull. take it over to NCS.

I've looked at your work - you're doing amazing things with that D80 man. I hope you're getting paid for that work, if so, join the Nikon professional whatcyamacallit - I believe they'll give you priority support/service.

Anyway, you do need an update. I'd look at the D700 man. Based on the work you do and your interests, its right up your alley. Hell, I'd come assist you if I was close and help you earn the extra greenage needed for D700.

Best of luck to you. NCS should have my camera tomorrow or the day after.

Thanks man, I am always working to improve! I do get paid for some of the stuff that I shoot, and some shoots I do as trade shoots. Given that I'm always learning, I find that for-trade shoots are the best way to experiment with ideas.

I don't think I'm ready to put $3,000.00 down on the D700 just yet. But I have it on my radar for later on down the line. I have been planning on getting a D300 for a while now, but I was waiting to see what the D90 would be like. Now that the D90 is here, albeit only in camera/lens kit packages for now, I have evaluated it and still prefer the D300.

A friend of mine has offered to let me use his 5D body and a few lenses for this weekend so I think I'm covered in case the D80 acts up again. I'm beginning to think that the D80 is just having a hard time dealing with low-light. Most of my studio shoots are done in low-light using strobes.