PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D80: Lens stuck to body

aparmley
09-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Well, I put on my Sigma 10-20 this afternoon to see what the best arrangement would be for this new lowepro shoulder bag I bought and now I can't get it off. I've changed lenses thousands of times, so its not like I don't know how to do it. I've changed lenses that "stick" plenty of times. So, I'm at loss right now on what to do. I got so aggravated that I began seriously thinking about my tool box. It was at that point I decided I should calm down a little bit.

Anyone have any ideas that don't include me shipping this to a Nikon service center?

K1W1
09-12-2008, 04:24 PM
A pipe wrench?

Did the lens click into place? I may be worth trying to tighten it a little before you try to undo it in case it isn't locked in properly.

DonSchap
09-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I know Nikon puts their contacts along the mounting ring, is it possible one may have come free and it is binding the ring, now? Check for lens operation and see if something may NOT be working correctly.

Otherwise, you many just have a new P&S Wide-angle camera. You will need a telephoto adapter, after that. ;)

Aw, what the heck, the D90 just came out ... make movies!

aparmley
09-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Just to clarify - Lens/Camera are working flawlessly. The only problem is the lens will not come off. LMAO

Its locked into place alright - real good too.

Yet, even another example of why our local stores suck. I called to see if they could do anything for me, if they work on cameras/lenses. After they asked me the standard "are you a retard" questions they said, sure bring it in and we'll work on it. So, I bring it in and about 3 people all do the same thing, depress lens release button, try to remove the lens, "man, thats strange." Click click, well everything appears to be working, so you didn't put the lens on wrong. Thats odd. then they told me they could send it to NSC for me. I told them if they could give me a D700 loaner while my D80 was at NSC, they said nope. so I left. But, its a 45 minute drive for me, if they were just going to do exactly what I've already tried, I'd think they'd say, well all we can do is try to take the lens of like you normally would, if that doesn't work we can't help you.

Don - The D90 is nice for sure, but I want the D700. By the time I've finished saving for the D700 the D(8)00 will be out and it'll shoot 1080p.

Rooz
09-12-2008, 07:16 PM
wow...never heard of that b4. thats bloody wierd !

i wouldnt have a clue how to fix that mate. maybe to get some leverage on it you could wrap a cloth around the lens then use some kind of wrench to turn it while someone is pressing the release button.

i guess you'll be posting a few WA shots until then. lol

Spookonthe8ball
09-12-2008, 08:01 PM
It sound to me like when you push the release button, it isn't releasing the locking mechanism. Either the lens or camera has got to give. I think I would send that one to Nikon for repair. If it was a jar lid, the solution is to warm the lid causing it to expand a bit and release. Since it involves such delicate equipment, I'd let Nikon figure it out.
Spook

Aldor88
09-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Otherwise, you many just have a new P&S Wide-angle camera. You will need a telephoto adapter, after that.

Aw, what the heck, the D90 just came out ... make movies! Haha made me laugh :D

I'd send it to Nikon if it really is that tight.

Dread Pirate Roberts
09-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Keep out of your toolbox, it'll just increase the price of any subsequent repair.

aparmley
09-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Oh ya, I'm putting enough pressure on it myself the the lens feels like its going to come apart. I don't need any more force - if I introduce any more force, something will give and DPR is right, $$.

I'm sending it to NCS.

In the mean time. . . hmmm, it'd be a shame to go DSLRless this whole time. Any ideas?

hokeyguy
09-13-2008, 09:49 AM
It sound to me like when you push the release button, it isn't releasing the locking mechanism.

This is where I'll put my money.

aparmley
09-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Me to Mr. Hokey.

I'm a little torn on what to do at this point in time. I liked that my wife talked me out of the D90 because I really don't want another DX body. I'm dying for FX, specifically the D700 variety. My wheels are already turning, Circuitcity has a 18months of 0 %, 3200/18 = 177 / 2 = ~90 a paycheck. I did more than double that in less time for my wifes ring. . . it only seems fair? LMAO. . . . (watching for lightening bolt)

K1W1
09-13-2008, 04:53 PM
(watching for lightening bolt)

I just saw what appeared to be a nuclear explosion over the north eastern horizon. Did your wife just read something? :D:D

Rooz
09-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Me to Mr. Hokey.

I'm a little torn on what to do at this point in time. I liked that my wife talked me out of the D90 because I really don't want another DX body. I'm dying for FX, specifically the D700 variety. My wheels are already turning, Circuitcity has a 18months of 0 %, 3200/18 = 177 / 2 = ~90 a paycheck. I did more than double that in less time for my wifes ring. . . it only seems fair? LMAO. . . . (watching for lightening bolt)

i reckon by xmas the d700 will be $500 cheaper

Visual Reality
09-13-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm guessing you are basing that off of Nikon's reaction to the Sony A900 and the Canon 5D successor? If so you may be right, since there is no way it would fall that much naturally.

DonSchap
09-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Are you saying there's something unnatural about the A900?

I am still ... still trying to figure out how to swing this without upsetting the apple cart. It may be the cheapest 24.6 MP class Full Frame out there, but it still runs around $4500 with flash, grip camera, ext. "drop" warranty and extra battery, no less.

Good luck! When you do figure it out ... let me know how to do such a thing. Thanks! :)

aparmley
09-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Hell Mate - I'll have my D80 back by November. Silly man. you're no help!

DonSchap
09-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Andy, what? No back up? C'mon ... 1st rule, getta backup. Okay, not a D40 ... how about a D300? Won't it do? $1389 at BH ... uh, a little used. Less than half of that D700. You could always ... sell it?

I'm not a Nikon guy, but it seemed ... usable.

aparmley
09-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Nikon service wants $190.00 to fix my camera body.

Its frustrating because the warranty is 12 months, its been 16 months and I feel that this button has failed under normal wear and tear conditions. Its never been mishandled, at all. I've dropped my Canon bodys, but because of Nikon's Superior ergonomics, I've yet to drop my D80. This is clearly a manufacturing defect. Its probably because the Sigma got stuck. If I shipped them the 12-24 It'd probably be on its way back, fixed free of charge.

Oh well, losing the camera is a $500 loss right now, losing the lens is another $400 = $900 loss total. $200 expense still puts me 700 to the plus side. gulp (submit)

tekriter
09-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Nikon service wants $190.00 to fix my camera body.

Its frustrating because the warranty is 12 months, its been 16 months and I feel that this button has failed under normal wear and tear conditions. Its never been mishandled, at all. I've dropped my Canon bodys, but because of Nikon's Superior ergonomics, I've yet to drop my D80. This is clearly a manufacturing defect. Its probably because the Sigma got stuck. If I shipped them the 12-24 It'd probably be on its way back, fixed free of charge.

Oh well, losing the camera is a $500 loss right now, losing the lens is another $400 = $900 loss total. $200 expense still puts me 700 to the plus side. gulp (submit)

AP - how long to do the repair?

ColColt
09-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Have you considered a bit of WD-40 to aid in removal? No, don't spray it but spray a little on a Q-tip and dip it around to the CPU contacts on the body, let sit a minute and try it. Hold where the liquid won't get inside the glass, naturally. What do you have to loose at this point. My Dad swore WD-40 would fix anything.:)

JTL
09-23-2008, 02:37 PM
i reckon by xmas the d700 will be $500 cheaperI know you're right...it's inevitable...but I sure will be a little pissed! :D:D:D

I know...it's all Canon's fault! :D:D:D

Andy...when the D700 hits the $2400/$2500 mark, do not even think about it...do not hesitate to get it...it is that good...your wife will thank you after she sees all the amazing pictures you take of her!

DonSchap
09-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Have you considered a bit of WD-40 to aid in removal? No, don't spray it but spray a little on a Q-tip and dip it around to the CPU contacts on the body, let sit a minute and try it. Hold where the liquid won't get inside the glass, naturally. What do you have to loose at this point. My Dad swore WD-40 would fix anything.:)

Oil, graphite and lenses ... hmmm, sounds like a bad mix. :eek:

XaiLo
09-23-2008, 04:17 PM
sorry aparmley, best I can think of is to rent, unless you want to buy a cheap P&S.

aparmley
09-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Oh, but don't you know. . . .

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3247/2860410739_f49264a772.jpg

:D

Picked up last monday. I can't afford the D700. Thats like 4 months rent. Are you crazy! Well, I could afford it - but I'm a part of a bigger "TEAM" now guys, don't you get that! (WOS)

wife cough over cough shoulder cough cough! :D

K1W1
09-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Well, I could afford it - but I'm a part of a bigger "TEAM" now guys, don't you get that! (WOS)

wife cough over cough shoulder cough cough! :D

NAS or divorce.
There are many who would pick divorce. :D:D

DonSchap
09-23-2008, 07:55 PM
You have that right. If she's not onboard with your photography ... it's time to find a new crew mate! LOL ;)

In for a penny, in for $3000! Right?

@ AP ... the SONY α900 is a flat $3000 for the camera, alone! You still need its own separate vertical grip (VG-C90AM)($379), another battery (NP-FM500H)($69) and a brand new flash (HVL-F58AM)($500) to make it work the way it is supposed to. And then ... a four year drop-sa-daisy warranty (to cover it all) ($349).

Okay, total that ... just to have something the lenses can mount on ... and then talk to me about rent ... :(

BTW: Who successfully suggested you get the D90?

And BTW, again: My α700 is going back to SONY for repair ... crap, we're not going to have anything to jaw about, except your upcoming movie-making, eh?

ColColt
09-24-2008, 05:41 AM
Oil, graphite and lenses ... hmmm, sounds like a bad mix. :eek:

Naw-I forgot to mention to use some duct tape wrapped around the lens to aid in a better grip after judicious use of the WD-40. If duct tape and WD-40 won't fix it, nothing will.

Achtung-The forgoing message was merely a joke.:)

DonSchap
09-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Andy ... any word on your D80 and its lens orifice constipation? :eek:

stuka!
06-08-2009, 01:57 AM
I am having the same problem with a Sigma 35-135 lens on my Nikon D-100. Lens is stuck on, looks normal from the outside (not crooked). Lens release button does unlock the lens, and it will turn a couple of millimeters before a hard stop which seems to indicate something metal is in the way. Turning the lens the little bit it does turn requires more effort than usual, it seems on tighter than normal. The aperture is closed down and opens up if the aperture ring is turned, as if the aperture preview button were stuck down (which it isn't).

XaiLo
06-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Send it in to Nikon Customer Service!

stuka!
06-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Send it in to Nikon Customer Service!

Oh, yes, and pay them double what the camera is worth to fix it. Thanks...

K1W1
06-08-2009, 11:50 PM

In that case grab a big pair of multi grips squeeze hard and twist. When you hear the cracking noises you know you camera and lens will be worth nothing so sending it to Nikon will cost you twice nothing and you will be happy to pay the bill.

jcon
06-09-2009, 12:16 AM

Wow, talk about rude. Maybe people shouldnt be trying to help you if thats how you respond to their help.

stuka!
06-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Wow, talk about rude. Maybe people shouldnt be trying to help you if thats how you respond to their help.

What help? Rudeness is in the eyes of the beholder, friend. Sending the camera in to Nikon is an obvious but expensive option, but not necessarily the only one by any means and obviously one I was trying to avoid if possible by inquiring here. Many other technical forums are peopled with good and often knowledgeable folks and sometimes repairmen and technicians as well, who are often happy and willing to share tips from their own experience, say, of having to partially disassemble a piece of equipment, or to point to service manuals and instructions on the net or elsewhere. If that sort of expertise or knowledge is lacking in this forum, fair enough. An admission of this shortcoming or a clarification of the prohibitively technical or difficult nature of the procedures involved, if that be the case, along with the suggestion to send the camera to NSC would seem a mite less snide. But feel free to ignore my inquiry if you don't know jack about what I'm asking, and to keep your carping and sniping to yourself.

XaiLo
06-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Well, I put on my Sigma 10-20 this afternoon to see what the best arrangement would be for this new lowepro shoulder bag I bought and now I can't get it off. I've changed lenses thousands of times, so its not like I don't know how to do it. I've changed lenses that "stick" plenty of times. So, I'm at loss right now on what to do. I got so aggravated that I began seriously thinking about my tool box. It was at that point I decided I should calm down a little bit.

Anyone have any ideas that don't include me shipping this to a Nikon service center?

Forgive me for not knowing the extent of your mechanical and technical abilities... I was under the impression that you were looking for a solution as opposed to step by step instructions on how to dissasemble and repair a D100. And believe it or not there are some people who do not consider sending an item in for repair... they are stuck on buy mode only. While you claim "Sending the camera in to Nikon is an obvious but expensive option" I don't recall reading any where in your post sending camera in for repair is not an option.

Now that I understand what it is that you are half way asking... Google D100 service repair manual... if that does not work call Nikon and ask them for the parts diagram... Then start taking the D100 apart... buy another digital camera to record every step. Make sure it's digital because film would be cost prohibitive... continue to break down the camara until you reach the lens locking mechanism... if it's working fine call Sigma and tell them how their lens ruined your day... then send the lens to Sigma for repair.

Funny I deemed the previous paragraph pretty self evident. At least this is what I did! One other thing was obvious to me, my back ground in mechanical drafting and mechanics lead me to believe if you were asking a question is such general terms... that had already been drawn out to a logical conclusion? Then it probably wouldn't be a good idea to unleash you into the depths of the D100 with a power tool belt. Please note how specific the original poster was about his needs. You have a nice day. I know I will and no I really don't think I'm impressed to assist you any further.

jcon
06-09-2009, 09:42 AM
What help? Rudeness is in the eyes of the beholder, friend. Sending the camera in to Nikon is an obvious but expensive option, but not necessarily the only one by any means and obviously one I was trying to avoid if possible by inquiring here. Many other technical forums are peopled with good and often knowledgeable folks and sometimes repairmen and technicians as well, who are often happy and willing to share tips from their own experience, say, of having to partially disassemble a piece of equipment, or to point to service manuals and instructions on the net or elsewhere. If that sort of expertise or knowledge is lacking in this forum, fair enough. An admission of this shortcoming or a clarification of the prohibitively technical or difficult nature of the procedures involved, if that be the case, along with the suggestion to send the camera to NSC would seem a mite less snide. But feel free to ignore my inquiry if you don't know jack about what I'm asking, and to keep your carping and sniping to yourself.

First off, dont call me your friend. Secondly, if you know of forums where people are more savvy with technical issues and are more willing to give you wonderful ideas, why the hell are you here?

It also looks like im not the only person that "knows jack" about your problem, you dont seem to "know jack" either!:D

stuka!
06-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Forgive me for not knowing the extent of your mechanical and technical abilities... I was under the impression that you were looking for a solution as opposed to step by step instructions on how to dissasemble and repair a D100. And believe it or not there are some people who do not consider sending an item in for repair... they are stuck on buy mode only. While you claim "Sending the camera in to Nikon is an obvious but expensive option" I don't recall reading any where in your post sending camera in for repair is not an option.

Now that I understand what it is that you are half way asking... Google D100 service repair manual... if that does not work call Nikon and ask them for the parts diagram... Then start taking the D100 apart... buy another digital camera to record every step. Make sure it's digital because film would be cost prohibitive... continue to break down the camara until you reach the lens locking mechanism... if it's working fine call Sigma and tell them how their lens ruined your day... then send the lens to Sigma for repair.

Funny I deemed the previous paragraph pretty self evident. At least this is what I did! One other thing was obvious to me, my back ground in mechanical drafting and mechanics lead me to believe if you were asking a question is such general terms... that had already been drawn out to a logical conclusion? Then it probably wouldn't be a good idea to unleash you into the depths of the D100 with a power tool belt. Please note how specific the original poster was about his needs. You have a nice day. I know I will and no I really don't think I'm impressed to assist you any further.

Thank you for your belated, real answer, and I can see that it would be easy to underestimate the mechanical, technical, and mind-reading abilities of whoever shows up in this forum and also the ability of one to read the entire thread before posting, and to have already seen that sending the camera in to NSC is an option, or to have known same long beforehand. I'll surely have a nice day, and I'm delighted you'll do the same.

stuka!
06-09-2009, 11:06 AM
First off, dont call me your friend. Secondly, if you know of forums where people are more savvy with technical issues and are more willing to give you wonderful ideas, why the hell are you here?

You must have way too much time on your hands to sit here and quibble with me, friend -- time perhaps better spent learning how to use apostrophes, I reckon.

My question was specific to this particular make and model of Nikon digital camera. Mechanical ability and/or technical expertise in one specialized field does not guarantee technical expertise in another, vastly different specialized field. One would hope that would be obvious in any technical field.

It also looks like im not the only person that "knows jack" about your problem, you dont seem to "know jack" either!:D

I know jack enough to find a relevant thread in a (seemingly, as it were) relevant forum in which to ask my question. But thanks anyway for your opinion, however irrelevant, and you have a nice day, too, friend.

TheWengler
06-09-2009, 11:50 AM
feel free to ignore my inquiry

I think this is probably the best way to go.

jcon
06-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Agreed. I just removed something from the bottom of my shoe that deserved more time than this person.

XaiLo
06-09-2009, 02:36 PM

Agreed! ! !

stuka!
06-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Agreed. I just removed something from the bottom of my shoe that deserved more time than this person.

Hopefully you had printed this page (http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Apostrophes) or some other elementary spelling guide and gotten it stuck to your shoe. :cool:

stuka!
06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
... Google D100 service repair manual... if that does not work call Nikon and ask them for the parts diagram...

Found a service manual. Nikon seems to make very good ones. Thanks very much.

K1W1
06-09-2009, 04:10 PM
I love the symmetry of the OP's forum name.

Stuka, the German ground attack bomber during WWII known for it's accuracy and notable for it's wailing siren. A plane that was initially devastating but soon became extremely vulnerable to more nimble and better armed attack fighters.

stuka!
06-09-2009, 04:56 PM
I love the irrelevance of the sad attempts at insults over screen names. Rearmed with 37mm cannons and a rear gunner position, the Ju87G became the scourge of the Russian infantry as an extremely nimble and battle-worthy all-weather, day/night tank buster.

You must have a lot of time on your hands. You might want to go back to destroying your cameras with your multi-grips.

hokeyguy
06-13-2009, 09:31 AM
I love the irrelevance of the sad attempts at insults over grammar

fixed

So the result of the OP issue was the release button failing? I wonder how exactly.

aparmley
06-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Here I thought I was the original OP?

Glad to see this thread helped so many people. . . LMAO

For those of you that don't know, I ended up sending it to a NCS. A few reasons; 1. Because, at the end of the day, if you're going to pay some to fix this problem, it might as well be Nikon - for obvious reasons. 2. I have those most familiar with the camera give it a quality once over. Which leads into my 3rd reason, a camera which just returned from Nikon service makes and excellent used camera on the market - how many used cameras were just serviced by Nikon Service Centers?

No explanation of why the release button failed AND no, Nikon returned the Sigma in one piece!

Good day!

chuckms
04-22-2011, 01:50 AM
So how did you fix the problem
I did the same thing I cannot see through the camera and lens so I think teh lens may not have activated.
How did you fix it
I am thinking of taking the camera apart or the lens with a hack saw

Dread Pirate Roberts
04-22-2011, 05:23 AM
As he said in the post above, he sent it to a Nikon service centre

SONYNUT
06-21-2011, 12:10 AM
is the AF / manual switch on the front in manual mode..

i just noticed that it makes the AF drive pin go in and out on my d7000....probably the same on d80