PDA

View Full Version : OT: business software

jsnail
09-11-2008, 07:19 AM
Hello everyone! I'm in the process of starting up a pet photog business and I was hoping for some insight regarding finances. Just a little background: I will be the only photographer, I already own the equipment I plan on using, and this will be a second source of income (as little as it may be) as I already have a full-time job.

I don't currently have any dedicated software to track expenditures and income. My first thought is to simply create an excel spreedsheet, however its been many years since I really knew how to use it. I've simply forgotten how to exploit its full potential.

My second thought is to look into Money or Quicken. That way I could not only prepare a personal budget but also hopefully track my business finances.

For those of you with simple businesses, what are your thoughts on this matter?

As a side note, I was also wondering how you prepare invoices and tend to the issue of receipts. Do you use the computer to create these documents or do you stick to the old fashioned receipt books? It I were the client, I'd prefer a typed invoice/receipt. That seems the most professional and easiest to file. What do you think?

photoguy0430
09-11-2008, 09:02 AM
I've used Microsoft's Office Accounting Express. It does everything I need it to and probably a lot I'll never use. It's totally free and integrates well with other Microsoft products. Here's a link: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/accountingexpress/FX101729681033.aspx

jsnail
09-11-2008, 09:04 AM
thanks! I appreciate the link

rawpaw18
09-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Been using Quicken home and business for 6 years now, simple easy program.
Personal checking, biz checking, budgets, P&l's, customizable reports, invoices plus all the overkill stuff.

Dread Pirate Roberts
09-12-2008, 03:14 AM
I'd do it all on computer, what a hastle to use physical receipt books, keep the carbon copies etc. Plus properly printed invoices look so much more professional.

I just use word and excel but I have few transactions to deal with.

Tax is the big make or break thing at least here in Aus. Keep track of everything that is claimable against the business. Those expense records translate straight onto the bottom line.

jcon
09-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Quickbooks will work just fine for you. I started out with that myself, and upgraded to Peachtree when I could afford it

rawpaw18
09-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Who is that posting? Great to hear from you again Jason!

jcon
09-14-2008, 12:40 AM
:):):):p:p

jsnail
09-14-2008, 06:33 AM
I've not heard of peachtree...I'll have to look it up.

thanks everyone :)