09-09-2008, 06:47 AM
...until the new iPods are released.

Just thought i'd mention that. :D:D:D

Turo
09-09-2008, 08:05 AM
But hey, who's counting, right? ;)

Aldor88
09-09-2008, 10:05 AM
I don't get the ipod buzz, really i don't. Thanks for letting us in on the big news ;)

JTL
09-09-2008, 01:53 PM
All I hear is people complaining about their iPods and iPhones...yet they sell like hotcakes. I don't get it. But, then again, Windows is total crap (IMO) and people have spent billions on it...oh well...

fionndruinne
09-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Zune, man.:)

K1W1
09-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Well it's now only 8 hours and 48 minutes till the end of the world, 10, 9, 8 ...

I think I will go out today and find a retailer who is prepared to take a personal cheque for a D3 and 70-200VR lens. :D:D

Visual Reality
09-09-2008, 05:41 PM
What's changed this time? Have they caught up to Creative's Zen yet, which was released years ago?

K1W1
09-09-2008, 05:50 PM
What's changed this time? Have they caught up to Creative's Zen yet, which was released years ago?

I have no idea. It just seemed like a good idea for a thread to use up some storage space on a Server somewhere. :D:D

bobc4d
09-09-2008, 06:36 PM
umm NZ is like 14 hours ahead plus that 5 hours means 19 hours for me in Texas ? gahh can't wait that long

K1W1
09-09-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm in OZ and the announcement was made at 10am September 9 in San Francisco. Go to Apples web site all the info is there now (I just looked).

Visual Reality
09-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Wait I thought they just released a new iPod recently? With the touch interface? I seriously don't pay much attention to Apple, but I swear that came shortly after the iPhone.

Rooz
09-10-2008, 04:01 AM
apparently it just came out.
http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Business/2008/09/10/6720506-sun.html
it looks like its just styled differently and has more memory.

hokeyguy
09-10-2008, 05:16 AM

This is what I have. Hooray to no proprietary shackles!

Visual Reality
09-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah, drag and drop Divx mpegs, avis, my high quality LAME encoded VBR mp3's, you name it. It takes it all without a hitch...and Apple users are STILL locked into iTunes and proprietary formats. I'm sorry, but I'd like to have a say in what types of media I use.

Turo
09-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Yeah, drag and drop Divx mpegs, avis, my high quality LAME encoded VBR mp3's, you name it. It takes it all without a hitch...and Apple users are STILL locked into iTunes and proprietary formats. I'm sorry, but I'd like to have a say in what types of media I use.

Ipods don't require itunes, there's a million music organizers out there that work with all ipod versions (in windows/osx/linux). If you look up ipod forums that;s usually the first thing they tell you to do, ditch itunes!

Visual Reality
09-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Can they play mpegs and avis downloaded straight off the internet? I know for a fact they cannot play VBR mp3's which is basically my entire collection (LAME 3.97 encoded via Exact Audio Copy, preset 1 or 2) so I couldn't even use one.

Unless there is a way around that, too?

Turo
09-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Can they play mpegs and avis downloaded straight off the internet? I know for a fact they cannot play VBR mp3's which is basically my entire collection (LAME 3.97 encoded via Exact Audio Copy, preset 1 or 2) so I couldn't even use one.

Unless there is a way around that, too?

Well, I have not tried it personally, but over on iLounge.com the ipod guys there recommend using LAME as the lossy format of choice (versions 3.97 and 3.98). Now I am not sure if they are using Exact Audio Copy, but they do have a sticky in the ipod section titled "Exact Audio Copy Guide", so I just assumed it would work. I have not tried it though, so I have no idea.

As far as the video, you got me there. I had a first gen nano back in the day, which is how I know about the software, but I never messed with video so I have no clue.

And in case you are curious, no I am not an ipod fanboy (even though I use macs a lot :eek:). I've actually had my eyes on a Creative Zen X-Fi for some time now :). Those things look NICE, but I think I am spending my money on a 70-200 f/2.8 first! :D

Visual Reality
09-10-2008, 08:39 PM
If I weren't buying a house soon...I would be too :(

bascom
09-16-2008, 02:05 PM
I don't understand why ipods are so popular when there are so many alternative brands. I have never owned an mp3 player but am shopping for my first one. From what I've read, Archos, Cowon, and Creative sell players that cost the same or less than ipods, have sound quality just as good as ipods or better (espec Cowon), or have more features (FM radio, recorder, and/or speaker). Sansa and Zune seem pretty good, too.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10040627-1.html

But have you heard new MacBooks may be coming next week at lower prices? Oh boy!

S_p_i_d_e_r
09-16-2008, 03:13 PM
I don't understand why ipods are so popular (...) Archos, Cowon, and Creative sell players that cost the same or less than ipods, have sound quality just as good as ipods or better (espec Cowon), or have more features (FM radio, recorder, and/or speaker). Sansa and Zune seem pretty good, too.

Yeah, sure. I have Sansa e250, which is built as well as iPods and better featured (FM radio, FM&mic recording, microSD slot). It sounds great and they've even thrown a decent pair of headphones to the package (iPod headphones suck). Creative's Zen is also a decent player sporting LARGE screen and SD slot - good combo for watching movies on the go.

But...

It's a Digital Camera Resource Page Forum, so let's quit this offtopic :)