PDA

View Full Version : Help with Sunset Picture.

THANG0359
09-06-2008, 10:05 PM
I just took this sunset shot today and after i uploaded my pictures i noticed that some of the sun's pictures looks distorted, flared or something, I don't know the terminology. Please see picture. What can I do to avoid this in the future? is there a filter i should invest in to take sunset shots??

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3228/2834565581_8ef6628e57_b.jpg

thanks,
La

ssil2000
09-07-2008, 02:59 AM
looks like you overexposed the sun (pretty easy to do.. its the sun) what shutter speed did you use? faster shutter speed or let the sun drop a touch more and it will become a bit softer.
i could be wrong but thats what i can draw from my little experience :)

Rooz
09-07-2008, 03:08 AM
not really a good idea to be aiming at the sun. you will notice that most sunset pics have the sun already set when they are taking the shot to avoid that problem.

THANG0359
09-07-2008, 09:42 PM
I will give it another shot when the sun goes down.. but i've searched sunset in flickr and have seen a bunch of photos where the sun is at that level.. maybe because those shots have clouds blocking it some.. I don't know.. anyhow.. thanks for the suggestions....

Dread Pirate Roberts
09-08-2008, 02:36 AM
Drop your exposure a couple stops to bring out some interest in the clouds. The ground is going to go even darker but nothing you can do about that.

Re filter you need a graduated neutral density filter so you can darken the sky without darkening the ground if you want to get it right in cam.

Otherwise take several exposures and combine them in post, this is called HDR photography - this site ha s agood guide by Prospero.

Remember the cam is shooting to get an average light level of neutral gray unless you force it to do what you want.

Oh and shoot in raw or set your white balance to cloudy - at least that's what seams to work for me.

toriaj
09-08-2008, 05:07 PM
I shoot the sun on a regular basis, I don't worry about damaging the camera. I have had "flare" like this quite often. It seems to be from overexposing the sun, it's some kind of overload from what I can tell. I couldn't find your shot on flickr to look at the settings, but in general maybe you could try a larger aperture/higher ISO and go with a shorter shutter speed.

Aldor88
09-09-2008, 10:09 AM
I read somewhere that it's called blooming and is coused by having a too high shutterspeed.

THANG0359
09-09-2008, 11:12 AM
If i leave my shutter open for longer than i did, wouldn't the blooming be even worst. But i haven't had an opportunity to try another sunset shot. It's quite a walk to the place where i took this shot.
but anyhow here is the exif information.

here's the EXIF information.

Make = NIKON CORPORATION
Model = NIKON D50
Orientation = top/left
X Resolution = 240
Y Resolution = 240
Resolution Unit = inch
Software = Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Date Time = 2008-09-09 10:10:04
Exif IFD Pointer = Offset: 216

[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/1600"
F Number = F5.6
Exposure Program = Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2008-09-06 19:05:26
Date Time Digitized = 2008-09-06 19:05:26
Shutter Speed Value = 10.64 TV
Aperture Value = 4.97 AV
Exposure Bias Value = 0EV
Max Aperture Value = F5.66
Metering Mode = Pattern
Light Source = Fine weather
Flash = Off
Focal Length = 55mm
Subsec Time =
Subsec Time Original =
Subsec Time Digitized =
Color Space = Uncalibrated
Exif Image Width = 3008
Exif Image Height = 2000
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
File Source = DSC
Scene Type = A directly photographed image
CFA Pattern = [B,G],
[G,R]
Custom Rendered = Normal process
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Manual white balance
Digital Zoom Ratio = 1x
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 82mm
Scene Capture Type = Normal
Gain Control = None
Contrast = Soft
Saturation = Normal
Sharpness = Normal
Subject Distance Range = unknown

[Thumbnail Info]
Compression = JPEG Compressed (Thumbnail)
X Resolution = 72
Y Resolution = 72
Resolution Unit = inch
JPEG Interchange Format = Offset: 862
JPEG Interchange Format Length = Length: 1683

[Thumbnail]
Thumbnail = 160 x 106

thanks all

toriaj
09-10-2008, 07:46 PM
If i leave my shutter open for longer than i did, wouldn't the blooming be even worst.

I'd guess so, that's exactly why I was recommending a shorter shutter speed. Upon looking at your settings though, you did use quite a short shutter speed. You could try raising the ISO to get a shorter speed, but that will introduce noise ... maybe it was just related to the specific angle and strength of the light? Try more of these shots and see if it keeps showing up.

Visual Reality
09-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Looks like photosite flooding...like others said, extreme overexposure.