PDA

View Full Version : New D300 On/Off switch very stiff

Visual Reality
09-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Is your switch really hard to turn on, and especially hard to flick over to turn the LCD backlight on? On my D80 I could do this no problem, with one hand. On my new D300 I can't get the switch over far enough to turn on the backlight unless I hold it with my other hand so I can move my right hand into a different position. Basically I can't use the switch worth a damn while I'm holding it with my right hand.

Is mine a defect or are they all like this?

JTL
09-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Seriously, dude, I have a blister on my right index finger from the on/off switch on the D700...it's even stiffer than the D300 if you can believe it! I've taken to using my thumb to turn it on and off...which is a little akward (for me, at least). First it was carpal-tunnel syndrome from the XT grip...now it's a permenently sore finger from the D700/D300...it seems that Canon and Nikon are out to hurt us! We should lay some hurt on them!!! :D:D:D

DownByFive
09-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Just about the only gripe I have with the D300 is the power switch...not only is it stiff, but it doesn't feel solid. My D70 had much smoother action and a more definitive "click" when turning on/off....but that's getting really nit-picky, and it now just serves as a reminder for me that not even Nikon can create a perfect camera...pretty close though...

Visual Reality
09-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Not only that, but there isn't a hotshoe cover piece in the box...damn it...why didn't they include them with these cameras?

Ok, done complaining :D

Actaeon
09-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Not only that, but there isn't a hotshoe cover piece in the box...damn it...why didn't they include them with these cameras?

Ok, done complaining :D

It should have came with one. I know the D40 I owned, and the D700 i currently use came with one.

I also think the D300 I unboxed and used for a little while had one as well...

I don't remember if the D80 had one... probably does though.

accord2003
09-04-2008, 09:17 PM
I didn't find the on/off switch on my D300 to be stiff. It has a smooth action during on and off. What I found stiff is the activation of the LCD light.

It is definitely different the D70s. As DownbyFive said, it is missing that "click" sound.

btw, mine didn't come with hotshoe cover too.

JTL
09-04-2008, 10:10 PM
I didn't find the shutter on my D300 to be stiff. It has a smooth action during on and off. What I found stiff is the activation of the LCD light.

It is definitely different the D70s. As DownbyFive said, it is missing that "click" sound.

btw, mine didn't come with hotshoe cover too.Not talkin 'bout the shutter button...talkin 'bout the on/off switch!

accord2003
09-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Not talkin 'bout the shutter button...talkin 'bout the on/off switch!

hehe.. sorry that was what i meant. i really have to sleep more.

ssil2000
09-04-2008, 10:42 PM
this just solidifies my case that the d300 is rubbish! hahahahaha

Rooz
09-04-2008, 10:53 PM
btw, mine didn't come with hotshoe cover too.

neither did mine. isnt that just outrageous ?

the whole camera screams of no comprimise but then they say "you know what we wanna save 4c per camera so we aint gonna supply the hotshoe cover." lol its just preposterous.

K1W1
09-04-2008, 10:57 PM
this just solidifies my case that the d300 is rubbish! hahahahaha

+1
Agreed
:D:D

Visual Reality
09-05-2008, 03:45 AM
Yeah definetely rubbish. I am absolutely not loving the camera and it hasn't solved any of the shortcomings I ran into with the D80.

Wait, what? Some kind of Canon Jedi mind tricks going on here. It fixes my issue with Auto ISO...only goes to 1/125 on the D80, 1/250 on D300. Useable ISO is doubled, bracketing increased from 3 frames to 9, endlessly customizable controls, much improved multi-selector and overall speed (including looking around photos), relevant photo data is now shown on 1 page vs 2, continuous shooting from 3fps to 6, better AF performance, live view for tripod work (no more contorting my body to see through the viewfinder!) improved ergonomics and a great rubbery grip to name a few of the reasons I made the switch.

Oh, and I have to use a 16GB CF card to get the same # of shots as 8GB in the D80. D300 reports 771 shots remaining in RAW mode.