PDA

View Full Version : i need a new camera bag, recommendations?

Turo
09-03-2008, 09:16 PM
I need a new bag to hold 1 body with a 70-200 VR lens (don't own one yet, but will be my next big purchase), about 3 other lenses, and about 2 flashes. It must be a backpack, and it must be small enough to be a carry-on on an airplane.

Weather cover would be a plus, since I tend to go on hikes every now and then. Comfort would also be a bonus, since I will be carrying it for a while. Oh, and I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible.

Right now I am looking at the lowepro computrekker aw:

http://products.lowepro.com/product/CompuTrekker-AW,1924,16.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-CompuTrekker-Camera-Backpack-Black/dp/B0000AQJ7J/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220498020&sr=8-1

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Fiasco
09-03-2008, 09:34 PM
I swear by Lowepro bags... that computrekker looks like a good idea for what you're looking for.

DownByFive
09-03-2008, 10:40 PM
I've got a Computrekker AW and it works great. My main gripe with it is the tripod holder on the front is practically useless and there aren't mesh pockets on the sides, but hey, you can't have it all. I've also found that the compartments tend to be a little too soft, as my D300 (and previously, my D70), would gradually compress the side and bottom walls and slide down into the pack after a bit of walking...so I solved that problem by keeping a lens in the center-bottom (does that make sense?). Oh, and 15.4 inch laptops fit, but they can be tight, so if you think that might be an issue, take it to a store and try it out first. I don't want to sound negative though...like I said, it works great, but I find it's more useful to hear about a products flaws than it's charms.

Turo
09-03-2008, 11:04 PM
That helps a lot, thanks! I did notice it had a laptop holder, but I don't plan on carrying my laptop, so that's not a problem. How's the quality of it? Worth the ~$150?

DonSchap
09-03-2008, 11:59 PM
I chose the NatureTrekker II AW, myself ...

it lacks the back pocket depth for the laptop ... but, there is still room in the pocket for a flat folder or something up to about 1/4" thick. I keep my gray card and color checker in there.

It also sports a All-Weather cover which pulls out from the bottom ...

and mine came with a handy "Day Pack" ... when you don't need all those lenses.

anco85
09-04-2008, 05:39 AM
I've got a crumpler "This and That" bag. It's fantastic as it has a hand held camera bag inside the actual bag, space for a mini tripod inside the bag, space for food, clothes and small items that you may need. Also has a small pouch on the outside to keep documents in(very handy in my line of work)

The camera bag isn't all that big, but can easily fit my D80, SB600, 50mm 1.8 and Canon S3is with Lensmate barrel on it and still have space left for another flash.

The best part of all....it's Nikon branded, weatherproof and near impossible to get into without the carrier knowing about it

http://www.photographyblog.com/images/products/nikon_crumpler_bags_1.jpg

cincyimages
09-04-2008, 08:58 AM
This is what I have an I love it. It also holds a laptop:

Fastpack 250
http://products.lowepro.com//CatalogImages/18-2086-IMG1_LRG.jpeg

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-250,2086,14.htm

ColColt
09-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Highly recommended is the Tamrac Pro 12. I got mine at Amazon for $135 and it'll hold two (if necessary) DSLR's with attached lens, several more lens, flash, pockets for backup batteries for camera and flash, lens hoods, cleaning gear, fishing equiptment and a lot more!!:)

http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-5612-Pro-Camera-Black/dp/B00004X10B/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1220542686&sr=1-1

Dread Pirate Roberts
09-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Because I don't have a laptop I didn't want a computreker and the shop didn't have much else in the size range aparts from a Tamrac Expedition 5.

http://www.cnet.com.au/digitalcameras/accessories/0,239036165,339285819,00.htm

It's a midsize backpack with heaps of pockets and adjustable compartments inside. It was $150 AUD so probably under $100 US given how much dearer our photog shops usually are.

It doesn't have a separate waterproof cover. Tamrac claim it's waterproof as is. It's been in heavy driving rain and the rain really didn't get in (but I was nervous the whole time).

If you stack the heavy stuff toward the top then it does try and topple backwards off your shoulders a bit. With the weight at the bottom it's ok.

Worth looking at alongside the Lowepro equivalent but see if you can fill them and test them on your back.

Turo
09-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I've been looking at all the bags you all have been recommending and based on my needs and my budget, I have narrowed it down to the lowepro computrekker aw and the tamrac expedition 5.

lowepro: http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-CompuTrekker-Camera-Backpack-Black/dp/B0000AQJ7J/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220498020&sr=8-1

tamrac: http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-5575-Expedition-Backpack-Black/dp/B0007WRN6U/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220591234&sr=8-1

I am leaning towards the lowepro for 2 main reasons: first, its $50 USD less; second, the lowepro is a bit thinner in dimensions (4 inches less according to amazon product dimensions), and being able to carry it on a plane is CRUCIAL to me. I read one review for the lowepro where the person stated that he/she has never had trouble in the airport, but leaves the front pockets empt because if not the bag may not fit in overhead compartments!

anco85
09-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Turo, really, consider the Crumpler I posted. I paid $50 for mine brand new and it does everything you want and more

Dread Pirate Roberts
09-06-2008, 01:34 AM
I don't know how to word this but:
If the bag isn't as deep then it sits less far off you back and is more going to feel more balanced. My Tamrac is very deep (which holds a lot) but means the centre off mass is a bit far from my back leaving a pulling backwards feeling particularly if loaded mostly at the top off the bag.

Oh Aust photography stores really are dear as poison compared to your US stores. Since I only paid $150 here, I'm surprised the Tamrac is $200 in the USA.

K1W1
09-06-2008, 01:52 AM
Turo, really, consider the Crumpler I posted. I paid $50 for mine brand new and it does everything you want and more

Your bag does not appear on Crumplers web site any more which probably explains why you only paid $50 for it (superseded stock).
Generally Crumpler stuff is at the very top of the price range and you can't even buy a bag for a small point and shoot for $50 but IMO their stuff is worth every penny. It's absolutely bullet proof and has a lifetime warranty - period.

craigyc
09-06-2008, 05:08 AM
I agree with Kiwi, Crumplers are really worth the money with build quality and warranty. It seems they change their range quite alot aswell. I picked up a back pack that they dont make anymore for alot cheaper than new on ebay.

I have a few reviews of the Crumpler bags I own on my website.

bass7858
09-06-2008, 11:58 AM
if u have some local camera shops stop by, check out what they have in stock...then ask them if they have anything used. i did this at my local shop and got a fantasic deal on a tamrac!! looked brand new. will hold a large dslr with a BIG lense attached and secured and has 6-8 more fully velcro adjustable compartments.
in mine?
d40x with 70x300 attached/hood
18x55 vr capped
55x200 vr capped
50 1.8 capped
nikon battery charger with spare battery
several sets of nicads 4 flask
sb 600 in its case
spare sd cards
filters
remote
cleaning rags and brushes
everything basically
has nice strap array with a chest connector to help spread the weight
also has clips on shoulder straps. if u use a tamrac camera strap u can unclip it and attach the camera to the shoulder straps of the back back. u can adjust the hang and it works perfect.
best thing about this back pac?
i paid $20:D new it was $200. let someone else pay the depreciation
best deal i EVER got on ANYTHING

Turo
09-07-2008, 08:54 PM
anco, I have not been able to find the bag you mentioned, its not listed in their website.

DPR, that is a very good point, I did not think of that!

bass, that is one hell of a deal! If I were to find something like that I would jump on it!!!

Dread Pirate Roberts
09-08-2008, 05:35 AM
Showing my excessively empty bag. Note I have so much free space and the bag's is so deep I can slot some reading material in a pocket no probs.

The shot shows I've taken out about 1/2 the adjustible velcro dividers that come with the bag since I don't have many lenses etc. The bag is deeper than the D300 with quick release plate still attached even with an extra divider inserted underneath it too (so the QR plate doesn't wear the bag).

My external pockets hold batteries, business cards, notebooks, pens, plastic bags for rain and a thermal blanket, matches and knife I carry when bushwalking.

Internal pockets/sleaves shown on right are very thin and I use them for filters, train timetables etc. I can't think of much photography stuff that would fit in them, the filter only just fits:confused:

What I really miss is some way to attach water bottles and food for the kids yet have it completely seperate from the camera gear. I've taken to making my 6 and 8 yo carry their own water on long walks!

K1W1
09-08-2008, 05:51 AM
I've taken to making my 6 and 8 yo carry their own water on long walks!

Next time Anaconda or similar have a sale get them those little back pack water carriers (the Camelback imitations) that hold about 1.5L for around $20 each. They will love them because they can also wear them on bikes and just running around. Problem solved.