PDA

View Full Version : I finally made a gallery

Actaeon
08-31-2008, 11:27 PM
I finally created a photo gallery on my website...

I'd love to hear any comments and critiques you all may have.

The stuff in the gallery really varies!

All of these were taken with either a Panasonic P&S (DMC-TZ5), Canon P&S (SD-300), D40, D300 or D700. The EXIF data is on the bottom of each picture.

Picture dates range from almost 2 years ago when I first started taking pictures using an SD300 to less than a week ago using the D700.

Some have some various post processing, while some others have none.

My favorite works are in those in "Photography", but feel free to view the rest. The other galleries may not be "photographically correct", the most creative way, or the best exposure possible, but I liked them enough to upload.

http://pics.actaeonlf.com

Thanks!
Jonathan

Rooz
08-31-2008, 11:50 PM
nice work mate. i like your recent stuff alot.
you can always upload to flickr aswell btw. (free), alot of us upload there and its easy to link single images to the pic of the day thread, (and easy for viewers to look at the exif).

:)

Turo
09-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Looks great! Are you doing your own web developing, or using some sort of template? I ask because I think many f your images may look better against a black background, but that is just a personal choice.

Another approach you can take is like Rooz mentioned, use flickr for web hosting. Then, to include the pictures in your website you can use flickrslidr, it embeds the pictures from your flickr sets into your website using a nice little user interface (uses flash I think?). The nice thing about it is that it updates itself according to your flickr, so if you add more pictures to your flickr account, they show up on your flickrslidr automatically, no need to update html code!

Here is an example of one I have on my website for my wakeboarding pictures:
http://ww2.cs.fsu.edu/~donate/Arturo_Donates_Homepage/Photo1.html

But the current setup you have looks great also! Very simple and loads up instantaneously on my computer. I would change the background to a darker color though, to make the pics stand out more.

phys
09-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Hey looks great, i love the look of the guy's face in the last picture of your beloved ones, don't quite know what was going on but captured a moment allright!
You are a lucky man and is that an engagement ring i see?

Actaeon
09-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Thanks Rooz and Turo...

I really like that slick interface of Flickr. One "problem" I have with it is that its based on Flash, and my iPhone browser can't view the content.

I also figure since I pay for the bandwidth and hosting, I might as well use some of it too :). It was quite cheap... 80 bucks for 3 years I believe and that includes keeping the domain with 10GB of storage and 300GB of bandwidth per month... not bad if I say so myself. Its great for hosting other stuff too.

If I already didn't setup the subdomain with the application, I probably would have given Flickr a try, but I'll try to work with what I've got. One thing I do like about Flickr is the comments from other registered users. I think I'd get alot more feedback there.

However, in sticking with what I've got, I actually use an application that does all of the work for me on the domain. To upload a picture, I just log in, upload my picture from my computer to the album of my choosing, and its there and ready. From there I can provide some details about the picture and reorder them in the album as I please. I do have a few minor quibbles (I have no idea how to set which picture I want as a thumbnail in an album besides uploading it as the first item in the album), but that is something I hope to figure out later. This application gives me some flexibility on how I want it laid out (thumbnail size, how many pics per column, per row, how many rows, columns, etc), so I like that.

Taking some of your feedback into consideration, I moved away from the "white theme" and went with a "black theme" with a flashier lay out. It took me a while to find a theme I liked, then it took a little bit of work to get it setup (my first time messing with this stuff). But after working on it for a couple of hours last night, I think its "done".

Unfortunately it takes a little bit longer to load than before, but it looks a bit nice and fancier in my opinion. I don't think its quite as elegant as Turo's layout (which is quite beautiful), but my phone won't do Flash Support :(. It would make it difficult showing some of my pictures when I'm not on a computer. The non-flash layout give me a nice benefit which is one of my favorite things about "Gallery".

Please let me know what you think about the new layout, design, and functionality. It is quite a bit changed from the last theme.

Thanks Phys, I am indeed a very lucky man!

The man with the funny expression is her father. He just happened to have a funny face as he was looking over to see whats going on, and the picture was just taken at the right time to capture it. We both get a kick out of his facial expression. Like they say, a picture of worth a thousand words!

It is not an engagement ring, but a gift from a while back (Christmas 06). We are both a bit too young to get married at this time (we are both in our Early 20s, and we both look quite a bit younger than that). Every once and a while we talk about "the future", but it'll be a little while before an engagement happens. We just hit our 2 year anniversary today, so maybe in another 2 or so years (give or take a little) it might be a possibility. No rush for either of us, we are happy with where we are. She is still finishing up school and I am still focusing on my career.

Thanks again for all feedback! I appreciate any C&C on the gallery or the photographs.

Jonathan

Turo
09-02-2008, 09:24 AM
I like the darker theme much better, looks great!