PDA

View Full Version : Flash Compensation

ColColt
08-31-2008, 12:52 PM
I have my D80 set up for Exposure Compensation to -0.3 and set the Flash Compensation(both on camera) for +0.3. The problem is, I'm not getting the +0.3 for the flash. I'll preview a shot and it states in the EXIF data that the compensation is -0.3 instead and the photo looks it. This +0.3 value is seen in the top LCD panel when I push the flash button on the side and also in the viewfinder yet in the EXIF data after the shot is made, it's -0.3. I've tried changing to that value of +0.3 in the SB-600 and it still shows -0.3 in the EXIF data. What gives?

Visual Reality
08-31-2008, 02:28 PM
That's because you're viewing the EV. The EXIF won't tell you FEV.

ColColt
08-31-2008, 03:28 PM
That's because you're viewing the EV. The EXIF won't tell you FEV.

It should. If you change exposure compensation for flash, it should show what you've changed it to in the EXIF. I wouldn't swear to it but, I feel 80% sure I've seen it before. Even if it doesn't, the photo previewed should show a difference when it's changed and it doesn't compared to a setting of 0. If I change the value on the SB-600 it will but, what's puzzling is why the EXIF value will show whatever I've changed on the camera for exposure compensation regardless of what I set the flash comp to. It always shows the exposure value compensation ignoring what I've set for flash.

Visual Reality
08-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Try changing the flash compensation by more than .3...there is such a small difference you may not even notice it. Try going a full 1 or 2 stops.

ColColt
08-31-2008, 06:24 PM
You were right. I changed it on camera to +.07 and viewing two of the same photos side by side, one with no compensation for flash and the other with the +0.7 you could see a visible difference and as you said there's no provisions for showing flash compensation. I could have sworn I'd seen that before. Thanks for the suggestion-I'll let it set at +0.3 and just be concerned about taking pictures. We learn as we go.