PDA

View Full Version : getting a macro lens and tubes... :)

ssil2000
08-30-2008, 05:29 PM
I think I am decided on teh tammy 90 2.8 and the kenko extension tube set, any other suggestions to sway me before i buy? :)

Sergio

Rooz
08-30-2008, 09:04 PM
cant go wrong with that setup. you'll love the tammy, its a great little lens.

ssil2000
09-01-2008, 11:26 PM
in typical me fashion i am starting to question my purchase, i am definitely getting the tubes, but would i be better of getting an 85 1.8 instead of the tammy? i realise the 85 is no a macro lens, however will it be more versitile? and with the tubes it should still focus reasonably close?

i am still ready to pull the trigger on the tammy but i just thought i should ask the question first!

thanks guys!!

Sergio

Rooz
09-01-2008, 11:29 PM
definately not. the tammy is the one to get.
its also a superb portrait lens.

ssil2000
09-01-2008, 11:33 PM
yes sir! tammy it is!

Rooz
09-01-2008, 11:41 PM
lol just to clarify why...the tammy is sharper, has much better contrast, better colour and you wont have any focal plane issues shooting macro as you would with tubes and the 85/1.8.

the only think you miss is the 1.8 aperture, the slower AF and the nice build quality of the nikkor.

i rarely recommend any non-nikkors nowadays but there is a reason the tammy is a "legendary" macro lens. its just awesome. the only other lens i'd consider is the sigma 150mm but its much much heavier and not as versatile. and of course the nikkor but its pricey.

you'll find you use the tammy alot for non-macro aswell. i use the 105VR maybe 70% of the time for portraits and short tele, so its not just a macro lens. both of them smoke the 85/1.8. and i've owned all 4 at some point or another !

ssil2000
09-01-2008, 11:51 PM
yea, i actually read a few reviews saying that the tammy is no slouch for potraits so yea i miss a few stops of light but it is important to be able to get close to the subject i have missed some awesome shots because i havent been close enough... now would you use all 3 tubes on teh tammy or which one or combo would you reccomend?

Dread Pirate Roberts
09-02-2008, 08:22 PM
I know it's a rambling post but if you can help I'd like some thoughts.

Ok Mr procrastination is also getting a macro lens at long last. Stuff the poor state of the dollar and concerns for the economy:p

As I see it all at B&H:
Tamron 90mm F2.8 around $450 USD
Sigma 150mm F2.8 around $670 USD
Nikkor 105 F2.8 around $750 USD

The Tamron would do the job for general macro, how close does it actually focus at 1:1 for a scare the bugs away factor.

The Sigma, Rooz proved thats a good focal length for scaring bugs. At 1:1 roughly how far is the lens from the target?

Rooz, has the Nikkor at the moment but I notice him using it with his 1.7 TC for some bug shots. Better colours, contrast why does he use it? Out of curiousity about what is the working distance from the front of the Nikkor at 1:1.

I like the Nikkor myself but simply cause I like Nikon, I'd like to be able to grab bug shots but truthfully mostly I'll be grabbing plants and misc stuff. Is the Tammie a steal at it's price, is the Nikkor a lot or just slightly better and it costs 80% more to get that incremental improvement?

Thanks in advance

ssil2000
09-02-2008, 10:08 PM
I am going for the tamron for a couple of reasons, reputation being a big one and the compactness makes it a lot easier to carry around and finally its price (oh and most importantly rooz reccomendation). off ebay you can get it for 400AUD to your door, it allows me to look at a 35f2 as my next purchase as opposed to spending 1000 on 1 lens and not be able to look at another lens for a lot longer.

ssil2000
09-03-2008, 04:15 AM
calling mr rooz... I think your expert opinion is required in this thread... Please help us poor adelaidians out!! ;)

Rooz
09-03-2008, 04:25 AM
Rooz, has the Nikkor at the moment but I notice him using it with his 1.7 TC for some bug shots. Better colours, contrast why does he use it? Out of curiousity about what is the working distance from the front of the Nikkor at 1:1.

I like the Nikkor myself but simply cause I like Nikon, I'd like to be able to grab bug shots but truthfully mostly I'll be grabbing plants and misc stuff. Is the Tammie a steal at it's price, is the Nikkor a lot or just slightly better and it costs 80% more to get that incremental improvement?

Thanks in advance

i use the TC purely for the extra reach. there are some IQ sacrifices but better to get the shot and cop the loss than not get it at all. i miss the sigma terribly for bug shooting, the nikkor just isnt long enuf and not having a tripoid mount is a real comprimise in stability. but...thats why i'm waiting on the 200/4 nikkor micro. :)

if you have the cash and can lash out on some luxury VR and af-s then sure, the nikkor is the one. but its price difference does not translate into performance difference. on a budget and for flexibility i'd get the tamron every time. i will also add here that at MFD, both the tamron and sigma outperform the nikkor in every way apart from AF. the further back you get the more the nikkor shines. and as a short tele, the 105VR is simply superb.

would you use all 3 tubes on teh tammy or which one or combo would you reccomend?

just depends on you subject. i usually use all 3. for bugs thats hard cos you have to get REAL close for 3 tubes. but if you get a cooperative jumper, they're pretty patient so you can use 3 tubes pretty easy.

you're making the right decision. especially from a bang for buck pov. :)

ssil2000
09-03-2008, 04:36 AM
ur a legend mate!

Dread Pirate Roberts
09-03-2008, 11:08 PM
We've placed our orders. I'd guess we got them before the depreciating/plummetting Aus dollar affected their pricelist. But then again maybe I'm just convincing myself of that.

Thanks for the help making our decisions.

I so can't wait.

achuang
09-04-2008, 12:37 AM
And now the wait begins, I hate waiting for things to come in the post. So the tamrons are on order for both of you? I'm still tossing up between selling my 60mm macro and 85mm and replace with 105VR, but wondering whether 105 may be a bit long for my needs. The AF-S and VR would be welcome though.

ssil2000
09-04-2008, 02:14 AM
bring on the macro! watch our rooz! hehe (yea right!)

Dread Pirate Roberts
09-10-2008, 10:11 PM
This bloke uses the same lens we just bought Ssil.
http://www.pbase.com/gilazouri/macro

I don't think we can blame the lens if we're not perfect with our own shots:D

We'll you at least, fortunately I haven't got extension tubes so I can still blame their lack:)