PDA

View Full Version : D90 Official Specs

XaiLo
08-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Here ya go... Nikon kickin arse and takin names.
:D

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/d90/en/index.html

Rooz
08-27-2008, 03:00 PM
lol you been sleepin X ?
theres already a very active thread on this at the top of the page !

K1W1
08-27-2008, 03:13 PM
And on every photography web site in the world for the last 15 hours. :)

XaiLo
08-27-2008, 03:53 PM
I had to do it I tell ya... plus I just woke up :p

DonSchap
08-27-2008, 04:02 PM
(Handing XaiLo a cup of java ...) :rolleyes:

Classic96
08-27-2008, 04:11 PM
I have to say I'm actually looking at one of these bodies. I like the added MP and 3" LCD and honestly the HD video recording would be nice with my 2 year old around. He does some pretty crazy stuff. I was impressed with the video quality on Nikon's website.

XaiLo
08-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Classic96, at it's price point it's looking pretty good. And as a lightwieght backup it's looking darn good. video is a bonus, the main reason I held onto the S3 was because of the video feature.

mugsisme
08-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Classic96, at it's price point it's looking pretty good. And as a lightwieght backup it's looking darn good. video is a bonus, the main reason I held onto the S3 was because of the video feature.

I thought you wanted a D300 Xailo????

teko
08-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Live view and records 720p movie at 24fps!!

Preview by Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/digitalcameras/showdoc.aspx?i=3393

fionndruinne
08-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Very awesome. The $999 body only starting price point is impressive, and should make Canon hide in shame. That means I can maybe get some nice glass for my little D40, and in a year or so pick up a D90 body for a wicked price. I'm likin' it.

And to think of the awesome movies that could be made with a 50mm f/1.8 at, say, f2... or of course a 70-200mm.

aparmley
08-29-2008, 07:57 AM
I want to know if VR lenses will work with the D movie mode.

Aldor88
08-29-2008, 09:38 AM
I remember reading somewhere that VR will work, not 100% sure tho.

teko
08-29-2008, 11:56 AM
I want to know if VR lenses will work with the D movie mode.

The Next Big Blockbuster
[...] Additionally, the large size of the D90ís DX-format sensor, combined with the optical superiority and broad selection of NIKKOR lenses, provides shooters with the ability to capture amazing perspectives not possible with typical camcorders. D-Movie clips also benefit from Nikon VR image stabilization, which is automatically activated during recording to aid the low-light capability that trumps many other hybrid devices. [...]

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/digitalcameras/showdoc.aspx?i=3393

XaiLo
08-29-2008, 04:44 PM
I thought you wanted a D300 Xailo????

I actually wanted a D3, but let's just say by my next birthday me and Nikon are going to be life long friends.

Rooz
08-29-2008, 04:49 PM
given you're only 1.17% of the way there, i assume your next birthday is 30th august...2013. :D

XaiLo
08-30-2008, 09:33 PM
given you're only 1.17% of the way there, i assume your next birthday is 30th august...2013. :D

lmao it's in 2020 :p

fionndruinne
08-31-2008, 12:30 AM
Heheh. You should recalculate that percentage counter. It will do wonders for your well-being.

XaiLo
08-31-2008, 12:12 PM
Heheh. You should recalculate that percentage counter. It will do wonders for your well-being.

I've got to get my kid and her mother to keep their hands out of the camera piggy bank. :eek:

Geoff Chandler
08-31-2008, 03:25 PM
? Does anyone know if it has sound in Movie mode?
Generally looks like a winner.
Might even condsider this as my next Camera.....

Visual Reality
08-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Yes, hence the mic shown in the pictures.

Geoff Chandler
08-31-2008, 03:45 PM
Cheers - I never spotted it - which is about right for me as I was specifically looking for it!!

mmp121
09-01-2008, 09:29 AM

Yes it does have sound. Unfortunately, from what I have read, its only mono sound. I wish Nikon would have at least given it stereo sound recording capability.

TheObiJuan
09-01-2008, 02:22 PM
I can't seem to find a reason NOT to buy this thing; I pre-ordered.
I'm gonna have to invest in some fun Nikon glass now. :D

Rasidel Slika
09-01-2008, 03:11 PM
I can't seem to find a reason NOT to buy this thing; I pre-ordered.
I'm gonna have to invest in some fun Nikon glass now. :D
I feel the same way. :)

only difference is, I haven't pre-ordered yet. :(

craigyc
09-01-2008, 03:20 PM
I have the money saved and im selling my d40 body to fund it but im thinking is it worth saving the extra £200 and going for the d300?

Rasidel Slika
09-01-2008, 03:22 PM
I have the money saved and im selling my d40 body to fund it but im thinking is it worth saving the extra £200 and going for the d300?
if you are looking to buy your primary camera, I would have to suggest to go with the D300.

cvicisso
09-01-2008, 05:37 PM
if you are looking to buy your primary camera, I would have to suggest to go with the D300.It also depends on the primary purpose of your primary camera. If you'll be shooting action/sports for money - D300 at a minimum for sure. But if your primary camera will be used for vacationing, taking great pictures of family and friends, or you wish to carry just ONE device to Disney World instead of a camera and a camcorder - I think the D90 has a distinct advantage over its bigger brother.

Rasidel Slika
09-01-2008, 05:39 PM
It also depends on the primary purpose of your primary camera. If you'll be shooting action/sports for money - D300 at a minimum for sure. But if your primary camera will be used for vacationing, taking great pictures of family and friends, or you wish to carry just ONE device to Disney World instead of a camera and a camcorder - I think the D90 has a distinct advantage over its bigger brother.
I totally agree. I said what I did since he mentioned he was also considering saving up for the D300. I am thinking, if he was only looking for a vacationing / casual camera, he would not have even considered the D300. Just a hunch.

Rooz
09-01-2008, 06:01 PM
the d90 is a perfect backup for a pro or a perfect single body for an enthusiast. its win-win imo. originally i was looking at a D3 next year to marry to the d300. then the d700 came out and i switched my thinking to d300/ d700 as my dx/fx setup.

**if** i had my time again after all these releases and i bought now then i'd be looking at the d700 and d90. movie mode has changed everything, much more so than LV ever did. so now the d700 is on ice for me and i'll think about the next gen d800, (which will have movie mode), in a couple of years and just do without FX until then. the only issue i see with that is the ability to have the same battery, grip, menus, button locations etc (d300/d700), is very enticing indeed.

all that being said...i give up predicting what my setup will look like in years to come cos technology changes too fast.

the main advantages of the d300 over the d90 is not just about sports. its also about metering, 51AF points, customisable buttons and build. thats significant enuf if you're a real enthusiast. but as a "starter", who has a little more cash and wants to step up from the xsi level, the d90 is absoutely perfect.

Rasidel Slika
09-01-2008, 06:10 PM
the next gen d800, (which will have movie mode)
you really think so?

Rooz
09-01-2008, 08:54 PM
every dslr released now from will have video imo.
its a game changer.

Rasidel Slika
09-01-2008, 08:55 PM
^^ I'm all for it but there are many "purists" who are unhappy about it.

But, I would be surprised to see video in the high-end pro cams.

accord2003
09-01-2008, 09:22 PM

it depends. I believe paparazzi photographer uses high end pro cams. I can imagine they would love the ability to capture a video of a celeb. I am just guessing.

Rooz
09-01-2008, 09:54 PM
the purists can go f*#k themselves and go back to film then. :)

cvicisso
09-01-2008, 10:06 PM

Those same purists railed against digital and then live view. Let them rage against the machine again. It's natural to want to cling to what's familiar - however futile. Their suffering is beautiful in its own way- like moths in a flame. It's something they must do - despite their requisite and inevitable destruction. Not everyone 'gets it.' True leaders (like Nkon) can see beyond the chaos and will guide us through. There will always be dinosaurs - and their doom will always be certain. Enjoy the show.

Rasidel Slika
09-01-2008, 10:06 PM
I feel the same way :D

Rasidel Slika
09-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Those same purists railed against digital and then live view. Let them rage against the machine again. It's natural to want to cling to what's familiar - however futile. Their suffering is beautiful in its own way- like moths in a flame. It's something they must do - despite their requisite and inevitable destruction. Not everyone 'gets it.' True leaders (like Nkon) can see beyond the chaos and will guide us through. There will always be dinosaurs - and their doom will always be certain. Enjoy the show.
haha.. gold.

especially enjoyed the "rage against the machine" and "moths in a flame" analogies. :)

craigyc
09-02-2008, 06:49 AM
It also depends on the primary purpose of your primary camera. If you'll be shooting action/sports for money - D300 at a minimum for sure. But if your primary camera will be used for vacationing, taking great pictures of family and friends, or you wish to carry just ONE device to Disney World instead of a camera and a camcorder - I think the D90 has a distinct advantage over its bigger brother.

I don't really shoot sports but seeing as a new D90 is £700 here and i can get a refurb D300 for £800 then there isn't much in it! Is the D90 that much smaller than the D300?

Maybe the D300 would allow me to grow in to it and have it for many years without the need to upgrade. I will have to research a bit more as its a big spend!

Visual Reality
09-02-2008, 10:07 AM
craigyc, the difference in weight between the D80 and D300 is 250g.

D80 - 575g
D300 - 825g

It is a very noticeable difference, but its easy to get used to, especially with how nice the D200/D300 bodies feel in your hands with their tight rubbery grips.

craigyc
09-02-2008, 10:37 AM
That is a pretty large difference but then again it is a much sturdier cam with a magnesium alloy frame! I notice you got your D300! How are you finding it?

Is the D300 still able to be taken on holiday comfortably? I usually take a shoulder bag with me anyway for walking around with.

Visual Reality
09-02-2008, 11:19 AM
I use a Lowepro Voyager C strap - best one on the market IMO. I use it over the shoulder - on the left of my neck with the camera sitting around my right hip. The strap is contoured so you can angle it this way. It makes the camera feel half as big as it is, well worth the investment.

Its very easy to reach down, grab the camera, pull it up and fire away. Very quick on the draw...just be careful not to bang it on things while it's down there ;)

Much much better than putting it around your neck, in my experience.

cvicisso
09-02-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't really shoot sports but seeing as a new D90 is £700 here and i can get a refurb D300 for £800 then there isn't much in it! Is the D90 that much smaller than the D300?

Maybe the D300 would allow me to grow in to it and have it for many years without the need to upgrade. I will have to research a bit more as its a big spend!There are good arguments for either choice - and you really can't go wrong whichever one you end up with. As much as I carry on and on about weather-sealing, I actually surprised myself by 'committing' to the D90 instead of the D300. But I've gotten braver and braver with my non-sealed D70 with no ill effects yet, and I just can't ignore that video mode!! Regarding the size difference, my D70 already feels like I'm carrying a sledgehammer around, but I've gotten used to it just like I'm sure I'd get used to a D300 or D700 or D3 or whatever. If it doesn't fit in your pocket, they're all too big to be convenient anyway, so the size differences aren't as important to me. Regarding the other extra features of the D300 - which are very impressive - honestly, they would be largely lost on me. I'm just not at that level yet, and a D90 is a much more suitable choice for me personally. And besides, I've seen people do some amazing stuff with the D70-D80 line, so I'm sure that I'll get plenty of mileage from it. YMMV. :D

Does the refurb D300 have the same warranty as a new one?

Let us know which way you go!

XaiLo
09-02-2008, 02:09 PM

hey, hey, hey!!! It's not their fault that they have it all wrong... well, actually it is so "f*#k" em. And the camera they road in on. :p lmao

Aldor88
09-03-2008, 07:50 AM
The 18-105VR reviewed by SLRgear http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1221/cat/13

Not bad

craigyc
09-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Cvicisso -

The refurb only comes with a 3 month warranty which is a downside. I'm still not decided between the 2 but im leaning towards the d300 at the moment just because I know I will not have to upgrade the body for a long time as im not looking to go full frame anytime soon. It may seem like overkill at the moment but I just don't know where my photography is going to be in a few years!

cvicisso
09-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Cvicisso -

The refurb only comes with a 3 month warranty which is a downside. I'm still not decided between the 2 but im leaning towards the d300 at the moment just because I know I will not have to upgrade the body for a long time as im not looking to go full frame anytime soon. It may seem like overkill at the moment but I just don't know where my photography is going to be in a few years!What is it specifically that the D300 has that you feel you would need to upgrade to? If you don't want to 'upgrade' for a few years, and the body breaks without a warranty - that's something to think very seriously about. For me personally, I estimate I would just be catching up to the extra capabilities of a brand new (fully warrantied) D300 by the time the warranty expired. But only three months? No way. I'd still be reading the manual and asking Rooz how to work the thing at that point. ;)

I'm in the military and a long time ago (seems like forever) I went to a school where they taught us how to shoot stuff with rifles... from very, very far away. The first thing they taught us on day one was that the rifle we were issued was much more accurate/capable than we were (at that point). It would take us a long time before our skills equaled those of the rifle and before the rifle therefore became the limiting factor in making a kill. They of course had to prove it to us, and it was an enlightening experience. "No matter how good I think I am, I know now that if I miss, it's not because of the rifle - it's because of me."

If you really think that the D90 will be the limiting factor for you in making great images in the time frame you expect to not upgrade, that the D300 will offer you the features you need (that the D90 lacks), you're willing to sacrifice that movie mode(!!!), and you are confident that the refurb D300 will hold together for that long (sans warranty) then by all means go big now and never look back.

K1W1
09-03-2008, 10:05 PM
you're willing to sacrifice that movie mode(!!!), and you are confident that the refurb D300 will hold together for that long (sans warranty) then by all means go big now and never look back.

They are very good points that you raise but one point you have missed is the physical construction. The D90 is an amateur camera (silver shutter release button) and the D300 is a pro build unit (black shutter release button). In terms of holding together you are comparing a Humvee with an Abrams tank which does add an extra level of complexity to the decision process.
As far as the refurb issue goes IMO it's a non event. I have never heard of anybody having any issues with Nikon refurb cameras. In most cases they are simply units that have been returned to stores after the wife has seen the credit card bill rather than because there was any actual problem with them and they are fully checked and reconditioned by Nikon before they are sent out again. Some people have argued that the refurb cameras have actually been more thoroughly checked and tested than brand new one.

downtrodden
09-04-2008, 02:17 AM
I have nothing of substance to add to this topic- but i just wanted to stop by and say- Have fun either way Nikonians. You guys have a great little camera line up over here and i'm *almost* envious of you... i've ven thought about jumping ship every now and then.

We will see what the 6D brings though.

XaiLo
09-04-2008, 08:21 AM
What's up downtrodden, glad you stopped by man. I expect to see you over here after the 6D is released we'll have a D700 with your name on it! ;)

craigyc
09-04-2008, 11:03 AM
I can actually get a new D300 for £800 with 12 month warranty so I think that is what I will go with. Of course I have yet to actually go into a shop and hold a D300 so I will hold off until then and also wait for the D90 reviews to come out before a concrete decision is made!

Just so glad I started off with the D40 and went the way of Nikon instead of choosing an 400/450d as my first SLR.

Aldor88
09-04-2008, 06:12 PM
D90 videos starting to pop up

http://www.vimeo.com/1663578

downtrodden
09-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Xailo: Thanks, but you may want to reserve a D300 for me. I'm not so sure i could swing jumping ship to the D700 AND buying some quality glass. But we will see what happens!

cvicisso
09-05-2008, 10:00 AM
They are very good points that you raise but one point you have missed is the physical construction. The D90 is an amateur camera (silver shutter release button) and the D300 is a pro build unit (black shutter release button). In terms of holding together you are comparing a Humvee with an Abrams tank which does add an extra level of complexity to the decision process.
As far as the refurb issue goes IMO it's a non event. I have never heard of anybody having any issues with Nikon refurb cameras. In most cases they are simply units that have been returned to stores after the wife has seen the credit card bill rather than because there was any actual problem with them and they are fully checked and reconditioned by Nikon before they are sent out again. Some people have argued that the refurb cameras have actually been more thoroughly checked and tested than brand new one.K1W1 - great points you make there! I didn't realize (or maybe just didn't think it through) about the refurbs being purchase returns that subsequently get completely tweaked by Nikon and resold as 'refurbs.' I guess refurb just makes me think of something that was messed up and got fixed, but I am glad that I was wrong about that! Thanks again for keeping me honest.

Craigyc - enjoy that D300! As you know - it's an incredible camera, and that sounds like a good deal you've found there. The place where I work has a photo-shop and they just picked up a couple of D300s which they let me fool around with briefly. Very cool.

Aldor88
09-06-2008, 06:37 AM
A thread about the D90 video mode, sisn't read that much yet. Seems to have some problems tho.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=145435&page=141
Some downloads on the linked page.

swpars
09-06-2008, 09:58 AM
http://vimeo.com/D90

Here's the D90 video channel on Vimeo. Some clips already up...

Aldor88
09-06-2008, 10:12 AM
The "jello effect" worries me a bit, looks pretty bad.

craigyc
09-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Yeah the video mode is not impressing me that much. The exposure is constantly adjusting and if there is lots of panning then the image warps. You see that alot in cheaper camcorders (I researched quite a bit when i bought my camcorder)

Obviously its only the 1st generation of video mode in DSLR's though.

bass7858
09-06-2008, 11:39 AM
i am an un-experienced photographer. i have a d40x. the sound of the d90 making video clips is very exciting....but if u read around u find out it is somewhat flawed.....no deal breakers to me though.
when i bought my 40x the wife also wanted a new point and shoot. salesman showed us a canon sx100. $200. he also told us it shot descent video which we really didnt pay a lot of attention to. but then she started shooting clips of the grandkids. WOW!! comparable if not better video AND audio to my panasonic gs320. in a WHOLE lot smaller and simpler to use package. it'll film as long a clip as u want to film. sips batteries. shoots good in low light. we found this out when she filmed "the lion king" theatrical presentation at disney world in a dark theatre with a professionaly lit stage.
only draw back is digital zoom only. and that does degrade the video. so we disabled the zoom video function and use tenny zoom:D clips transfer to the puter in an instant by plugging the sd into the card reader.
and although its not "the choice" movie maker does a good job of making clips and is VERY simple to use.
after reading the forums and reviews available the d90 doing video does make rise to a few questions.
24 fps (feet per second) the lil canon does 30 fps. i wonder if this will make some action video imperceptibly jerky? i know 30fps doesnt. the sample clips i've viewed seemed to be smooth.
5 min clip limit-???? if the camcorder tax is for real....why do the lil point and shoots not face the same tax?
auto focus- does not work in video mode. well, i realize u cant have your cake and eat it too....still again...the little guys do it.
on the plus side....being able to use just about any nikor lense u want for different effect/zoom or lack thereof is EXTREMELY interesting.
just and uneducated guys brain turnin to mush

Aldor88
09-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Yeah the video mode is not impressing me that much. The exposure is constantly adjusting and if there is lots of panning then the image warps. You see that alot in cheaper camcorders (I researched quite a bit when i bought my camcorder)

Obviously its only the 1st generation of video mode in DSLR's though.
You can lock the exposure so it doesent change.

K1W1
09-06-2008, 03:55 PM
24 fps (feet per second) the lil canon does 30 fps. i wonder if this will make some action video imperceptibly jerky? i know 30fps doesnt. the sample clips i've viewed seemed to be smooth.

Frames per second. I assume that's a typo. 24fps seems to be the HD standard.

5 min clip limit-???? if the camcorder tax is for real....why do the lil point and shoots not face the same tax?

So you don't burn out the live view sensor. Remember this is a DSLR not a P&S. The video use is placing a huge heat load on the sensor.

DigitalJ
09-06-2008, 08:55 PM
24 fps is not standard with HD. It is standard for film, however many video cameras now have this mode referred to as 24P. They will still carry the standard frame rates though which is 29.97 fps reffered to as 60i NTSC for the US or 25 fps PAL Europe.

Its obvious that this camera is in now way expected to replace a camcorder but can be used quite effectively for the occasional video. BTW I would doubt that point and shoot still camera could take better video than a 3 CCD video camera. Thats not to say the video from the still cannot look good but if the video camera is properly setup it would look at least the same but more likely better except maybe for low light situations. The ccd's on that camera are tiny.

Aldor88
09-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Screw the video, might play around with it but a bit too primitive/complicated for me.

The still features seem very nice, the high ISO alone is making me get this camera. After christmas tho, if i don't win on the lottery or smthing. Oh the joys of being a poor student, always something to look forward to ;)

Heres a review i found on the net.
http://deadsailorproductions.blogspot.com/
Not the best review, more like e preview tbh.

This iso3200 pic looks great tho O.O
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gPINPPqqez8/SMM03WAdZ8I/AAAAAAAAADw/H3Y5-X_fWzc/s1600-h/DSC_0143+copy.jpg

Rasidel Slika
09-10-2008, 02:38 AM
I was gonna ask, are there any STILL photo samples of this camera anywhere? lol\

looks nice, i want one.

K1W1
09-10-2008, 02:55 AM
I was gonna ask, are there any STILL photo samples of this camera anywhere? lol\

looks nice, i want one.

Do you ever look at the front page of this site and see what hard work Jeff puts in? This site is way more than a forum.

Link to DCResource D90 sample photo gallery. (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d90-review/gallery.shtml)

Rasidel Slika
09-10-2008, 03:09 AM
I was joking, I have seen samples. :)

did not see that front page tho, thanks.

dukpoki
09-10-2008, 12:36 PM

that's the most beautiful thing i read in any forum. it's so deep with meaning & full of vivid imagery. i'm no english teacher but if i was i'd be smiling like this--->:D.

cvicisso
09-13-2008, 02:05 PM
that's the most beautiful thing i read in any forum. it's so deep with meaning & full of vivid imagery. i'm no english teacher but if i was i'd be smiling like this--->:D.Thanks. :D If there was a <blush> emoticon, I would need to use it now!

rawpaw18
09-13-2008, 04:23 PM
I had to get a tissue.