PDA

View Full Version : NIKON D90 Renderings and Unofficial Specs

cincyimages
08-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Rumored official announcement on August 27th.

http://gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/08/nikond90.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/08/nikon3.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/08/nikon2.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/08/d90_1.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/08/Nikon_D901.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/08/8-12-08-d90bb.jpg

Specs (100% legit?):

Video recording
12.3 Megapixels
ISO 200-3.200 plus Lo1 (100) and Hi 1 (6.400)
3" 900.000 dots LCD
11 AF points
Live-View, AF contrast, Face detection
Matrix sensor for metering 420 pixels RGB
Powerful speaker (for video in review mode)
HDMI
GPS Option

AF-S DX 18-105 mm f/3,5-5,6G ED VR
15 elements/11 groups
1 aspherical
1 ED
1 Hybrid Asph.
Minimum focus: 0,45 m
Diaph. blades: 7

More information can be found at these links below:

http://gizmodo.com/5041567/first-official-nikon-d90-images-and-specs-leak

http://nikonrumors.com/2008/08/25/enjoy--official-d90-pictures.aspx

http://gizmodo.com/5034757/first-nikon-d90-shot-leaked-maybe

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&thread=29071245

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/25/seemingly-official-nikon-d90-pics-specs-surface/

craigyc
08-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Looks cool, I think the last pic is a bit suspect, looks like it could be a 18-55mm VR lens and not the 18-105.

I am seriously considering getting the D90 as i have the money saved but it seems like a bit of a gimmick with the face detection and voice recording. I can imagine this being desirable in a low end model like the D40 or the D60 but in a mid end model like the D80/D90 you would not expect them to have this as they are of no use and it seems a bit silly.

S_p_i_d_e_r
08-25-2008, 04:59 PM
DSLR prices are going down and now these cameras sell like hot cakes :) But many "photo-newbies" are surprised: "DSLR and no face detection?", "Such a high price tag and no movie recording?", "Zoom 3x only and macro from 30 centimeters?"* So customers' demand creates supply :)

* - Real life situations... Only yesterday I had a client exchanging Nikon D60+18-55VR for Sony DSC-H50 because Nikon's lack of zoom power and poor macro capability... :eek:

K1W1
08-25-2008, 05:05 PM
I they are the real specs (and I guess they are probably fairly accurate by now) I'm picking it will be another winner for Nikon.

It's amazing how quickly we (DSLR owners) have embraced the live view concept only two years ago there would have been howls of protest now the points of contention seem to be face detection and movie ability.

cincyimages
08-25-2008, 05:20 PM
So who is selling their D300 for the D90? ;)

craigyc
08-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Live view and possibly even movie mode are reasonable features but I think face detection is just silly! I mean it cool to see the box around someones face but does it really make a difference! Never mind, if the iso performance is there i will be picking one up for sure!

Rooz
08-25-2008, 05:36 PM
alot of dslr's already have a "face detection" of sorts in their scene recognition system when used in auto-af mode.

K1W1
08-25-2008, 05:37 PM
So who is selling their D300 for the D90? ;)

More to the point does anybody want to buy a 20,000 click D50?

mugsisme
08-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Ah, I have a better idea. Everyone send me $10 towards a purchase for me. I will gladly share my camera with anyone who lives near me for 10 minutes.

Any guess as to what it will cost body only???

Screenclutter
08-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Is face detection used a lot in todays point-and-shoots? On vacation, I never saw this feature being used by my tour and hostel mates.

I doubt I'd upgrade from my D40 to this, I just bought a flash and I still only have two lenses...

K1W1
08-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Any guess as to what it will cost body only???

Next week it will be a lot more than it will be in three months after the initial hysteria dies down. :)

Camerajunkie
08-25-2008, 07:56 PM
I think I have to wait until next year when tax return hits again, and then I'll decide which one I want (the D90 or the D300.) But YAY for choices!

swpars
08-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Price body only? My guess is $900-$1000.

Turn
08-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I think its ugly.

swpars
08-26-2008, 10:26 AM
I think its ugly.

No, this is ugly:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/olympusE330/Images/frontview-001.jpg

herc182
08-26-2008, 11:45 AM
No, this is ugly:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/olympusE330/Images/frontview-001.jpg

LOL. That must have been designed by the blind for the blind...

JTL
08-26-2008, 12:21 PM
That looks like a thylidimide camera! :D:eek::D

cincyimages
08-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Circuit City offers pre-order:

http://gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/08/Picture_13.png

Good ol' Circuit City has jumped the gun on the official D90 announcement and has put it up for pre-order. The price and most of the specs listed on the product page we already knew, but CC's page confirms that the movie mode will in fact record in HD (aspect ratio and actual resolution we still don't know), as was rumored. Also we learn that the sensor is a 12.3 MP CMOS, not a CCD as was used in the D80, D60 and down the line—so that looks like a good sign in the noise-reduction department, if the amazing D700's larger CMOS is any indication. Bounce all of that on top of the great specs we saw before, and it's a pretty solid D80 upgrade at $1299. This thing is bound to go official before the week is up, possibly as soon as tomorrow. See the full product description below. [Thanks, Dan!]

Features

12.3-megapixel CMOS sensor: This Nikon D90 camera body features a DX-format CMOS image sensor that provides the highest level of performance. Its integrated A/D converter enables selection between 12-bit and 14-bit conversions. The sensor design supports the broad light sensitivity range of ISO 200 to ISO 3200, and features refined high-ISO noise reduction.

3.0" LCD monitor: A high-resolution, super-density, 920,000-dot LCD monitor makes critical image review possible. This monitor also allows ultra-wide, 170-degree viewing in all directions.

Live view: You’ll also have a live preview of your subject, giving you point-and-shoot feel with the quality of a DSLR.

11-area AF: The sensor module offers an 11-area AF that ensures consistently fast and precise focus lock under varying shooting conditions. The wide area AF system gives greater compositional freedom when shooting sports and action.

4.5fps continuous shooting: Capture fast action and fleeting expressions. The D90 can shoot up to 4.5 frames per second.

Scene Recognition System: This system recognizes subject and scene conditions prior to capturing the shot. Enjoy improved subject tracking and subject identification for rapid and accurate focus area selection. Highlight analysis optimizes auto exposure by providing more accurate control. Light source inference studies both subject and pattern to achieve optimal white balance.

HD movie mode: Capture your surroundings in cinematic quality. The D90 features the D-Movie mode, which shoots HD movie with sound at 24fps.

D-Lighting enhancement: This technology compensates for underexposed images or insufficient flash by automatically adding light and detail to selected shots where needed, without affecting properly exposed areas.

In-camera editing menu: The in-camera editing features include Nikon D-lighting (that adds light and detail to selected shots only where needed), red-eye correction, image trimming, image overlay, monochrome black and white, sepia and cyanotype along with skylight, warm tone and custom color filter effects.

Lens included: You'll be ready to go in no time with the included 5.8x AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens.

Fusing 12.3-megapixel image quality inherited from the award-winning D300 with groundbreaking features, including Live View and a cinematic-quality 24-fps D-Movie Mode, the Nikon D90 exceeds the demands of passionate photographers. Outfit includes the 5.8x, AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED lens with VR image stabilization and legendary NIKKOR optical quality.

ENGINEERED FOR ARTISTRY. UNLEASH YOUR POTENTIAL.

• 12.3-effective megapixel DX-format CMOS imaging sensor
• 5.8x AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens included
• D-Movie Mode — Cinematic 24fps HD with sound
• One-button Live View
• Continuous shooting as fast as 4.5 frames per second
• 12.3-effective megapixel DX-format CMOS imaging sensor
• 5.8x AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens included
• Continuous shooting as fast as 4.5 frames-per-second
• D-Movie Mode — Cinematic 24fps HD with sound
• Low noise ISO sensitivity from 200 to 3200
• 3-inch super-density 920,000-dot color LCD monitor
• Built-in image sensor cleaning
• 11-point AF system with Face Priority
• One-button Live View
• Nikon 3D Color Matrix Metering II with Scene Recognition System
• Comprehensive exposure control
• Auto Active D-lighting
• Shutter precision and durability
• In-Camera Image Editing
• GPS geo-tagging

http://gizmodo.com/5041991/nikon-d90-available-for-pre+order-from-circuit-city-hd-movie-mode-confirmed

JTL
08-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Interesting how movie mode is not being played up bigger. This is an idea that folks would have been shocked at only a year ago. My, how times have changed!

And, I'm not bashing, but...exactly which new to DSLR buyers will choose the Canon 50D when this is available? I don't know...maybe they're aimed at different users, but I'm not really sure. What's obvious is that the game is on and it's about time. For years the camera companies dribbled out features, but it seems that finally someone...and lately it's been all Nikon...has taken the gloves off and is going for broke. Kudos to their boldness...

One big question...does it have the in-body focus motor or not?

Camerajunkie
08-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Good question about the in body motor. I like my in body motors.

Also, you can turn the freakin' live view dohickey off, right?

craigyc
08-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Is the LCD like the d300's? (I jut checked, yeah it is the same as the d300! pretty kool!)

Quite pleased with the specs to be honest! I would really want a body motor so finally my 50 1.8 will be AF!

teko
08-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Also, you can turn the freakin' live view dohickey off, right?

The specs says:

One-button Live View

If that's correct, it should be one button away to switch on/off.

K1W1
08-26-2008, 04:04 PM
I would really want a body motor so finally my 50 1.8 will be AF!

All then photos show a M/AF switch beside the lens mount which means that the body must have an in body focus motor.

http://gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/08/Nikon_D901.jpg

Rasidel Slika
08-26-2008, 05:04 PM
I am thinking about getting one, for sure. I have had a smaller dcam on my mind for a while, its so frustating not being able to shoot (comfortably) with the 5d anywhere I want. Family type get togethers and other low-key social events, the 5d (w battery grip and flash) is just way overkill. Real excited about this cam and very amused and interested in the video mode, I hope that is true. personally I felt video on SLRs was an inevitability. remember, this is not a pro camera, so I kind of don't understand why so many people are getting flustered with the news of a possible video mode. its gonna be great! and I read something about 24fps HD video.. fingers crossed and excited about tomorrow!!

Rasidel Slika
08-26-2008, 05:10 PM
also why are people concerned about face detection or other such things that make it 'easier' to take pics? if you don't like it you could just turn it off?

K1W1
08-26-2008, 05:39 PM
also why are people concerned about face detection or other such things that make it 'easier' to take pics? if you don't like it you could just turn it off?

Or never turn it on in the first place. Even my little D50 has things like the focus beep and autofocus LED and scene modes that have never been activated in the three years I have had the camera. How many people use every feature that their mobile phone has or drive their car to 100% of it's capabilities?
I must admit that two or three years ago I would have been amongst the anti live view and movie brigade but times have changed and I can see a definite use for live view now (taking quick photos whilst wearing a crash helmet comes to mind) and with places like Youtube now available the ability to take a short video without the hassle of carrying a second camera could be a bit of fun from time to time.

Visual Reality
08-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Looks like I was spot on with all of the specs, only the movie mode is a big surprise. Same body as D80, updated buttons, D300 LCD and sensor, etc...looks great on paper. Too bad I'm already committed to the D300. Nikon gets my money either way :p

If the movie mode was implemented as smoothly as Canon on the Powershot S series it could be interesting...is there a dedicated button to start and stop recording at any time in any mode?

cincyimages
08-26-2008, 10:17 PM
http://gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/08/nikon2.jpg

Features:
•Scene recognition system from D3 and D300, but with 420-pixel RGB sensor—versus their 1,005-pixel sensor&msash;and face detection (it auto-detects the photograph's subject and sets focus, white balance, exposure, flash, etc.)
•Playback will automatically zoom on a face
•Active D-lighting from D700 (auto-adjusts highlights and shadows)
•Advanced scene mode can do things like detect a VR lens to apply image stabilization and use a slower shutter speed, rather than crank up the ISO
•Live View has face priority like point-and-shoots and their fastest Live View autofocus yet

Specs
•ISO 200-3200, 100 and 6400 in extended range
•12-bit conversion rate
•4.5FPS burst, up to 50 in JPEG, seven in 12-bit NEF
•11 autofocus points
•same 3-inch LCD from other Ds
•100,000 cycle shutter

It'll be $999 body only, or $1299 with a new 18-105mm f3.5/5.6 VR lens that will retail for $485 on its own next month.

NIKON D90 DIGITAL SLR ANSWERS THE CALL FOR CREATIVE FREEDOM WITH ADVANCED FEATURES THAT BENEFIT ALL LEVELS OF PHOTOGRAPHERS

It's All You Need: The 12.3 Megapixel Nikon D90 D-SLR Premieres with the New
18-105mm VR Lens to Give Photographers Superb Image Quality, Live View Shooting, Nikon’s Scene Recognition System, and HD Movie Clip Recording

MELVILLE, N.Y. (Aug. 27, 2008) – Nikon Inc. today announced the D90, a digital single lens reflex (SLR) camera that redefines the creative boundaries of digital photography allowing photographers to easily create stunning still images and High Definition (HD) movie clips with sound—with the same camera. A host of Nikon core technologies were leveraged to develop the D90’s scope of versatility, calling on years of photographic and optical expertise. Whether consumers are graduating from an advanced compact digital camera or are a seasoned D-SLR enthusiast, the Nikon D90 emphasizes brilliant image quality and versatility with its exclusive advanced Scene Recognition System, intuitive creative controls, blazing fast performance and the industry-first ability to create HD movie clips at 720p in the new D-Movie mode.

Inspired by Nikon’s acclaimed flagship DX-format digital SLR camera, the D300, and building on the success of the wildly popular D80, the D90 delivers stunning image quality. The CMOS image sensor and 12.3 effective megapixels combined with Nikon’s exclusive EXPEEDTM image processing system deliver outstanding images with fine details, smooth tones, brilliant colors and low noise across a broad ISO range.

Photographers are able to easily compose stunning images using the Live View Mode on the large 3-inch 920,000-dot high-resolution LCD screen. The 11-point auto focus (AF) system utilizes Nikon's exclusive Scene Recognition System and Face Detection to help make the best shot in a variety of environments. Matched with the new versatile AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm Vibration Reduction (VR) image stabilization lens, and a burst rate of up to 4.5 frames per second, photographers can confidently capture fast action and precise moments as they unfold. Also helping to ensure no memory is missed, the D90 offers fast handling with a power-up time of a mere 0.15ms and split-second shutter response measuring just 65ms, eliminating the frustration of pictures lost to shutter lag.

“The D90 delivers incredible imaging performance and control, setting a new standard for its class. This marriage of outstanding still image performance and HD movie clip capacity represents the dawn of a new age for D-SLR cameras. The D90’s handling characteristics and long list of features are sure to deliver the photographic experience that Nikon photographers have come to expect from Nikon engineering,” said Edward Fasano, general manager for marketing, SLR System Products at Nikon Inc. “Everyone at Nikon is especially eager to see the myriad of ways that imaginative D90 photographers will explore the world of cinematic 24fps HD video through the eyes of NIKKOR optics.”

Legendary Image Quality

For shooting in a variety of lighting conditions, the D90 has a wide sensitivity range of ISO 200 to 3200 (expandable to Lo 1 ISO 100 and Hi 1 ISO 6400) to deliver incredible low-noise images. The camera also employs an Image Sensor Cleaning function that works to free image-degrading dust particles from the sensor’s optical low-pass filter, helping to ensure spot-free images.

The new D90 companion lens, the AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR provides a versatile focal length, and the benefits of Nikon Vibration Reduction (VR) image stabilization technology. Nikon VR reduces the image blurring effects of camera shake allowing photographers to shoot hand-held at as many as 3 shutter speeds slower than would otherwise be possible*, assuring dramatically sharper images, even in challenging lighting conditions.

Borrowed from Nikon's professional line of digital cameras, the D90 is the most affordable camera to include Nikon's Scene Recognition System and adds newly-developed advanced Face Detection technology. The intelligent Scene Recognition System interprets color and brightness information of each individual shot from the 420-pixel RGB sensor, and applies changes to AF, auto exposure and auto white balance. The D90 can also detect up to five faces using the new Face Detection system, producing flattering portraits with astounding definition and accuracy. While in playback mode, simply press the zoom button and portraits captured with Face Detection can be immediately magnified to ensure proper focus on the subject and faces are displayed on the LCD screen within brackets for easy reference and subject tracking.

The D90 benefits from Nikon’s comprehensive digital image processing engine, EXPEED, which provides smooth tones, rich colors and defined image details, as well as enhanced processing performance. Additionally, Nikon's exclusive 3D Color Matrix Metering II helps to ensure accurate exposures, even in the most challenging lighting conditions. Evaluating each scene, input data from the system's sensor is automatically referenced against an internal database of over 30,000 scenes derived from actual photographs to calculate correct exposure values. To push the creative boundaries even further, Variable Center-Weighted metering and Spot metering centered on the active focus area are also available, as are exposure compensation and auto exposure bracketing.

The Next Big Blockbuster

For the first time in digital SLR photography, Nikon introduces the addition of the D-Movie mode, allowing consumers to create their own HD movie clips (1280 x 720) with sound from their D-SLR camera. Photographers will appreciate the cinematic qualities that come from the 24fps frame rate, which matches theatrical film, whether producing vacation clips or creatively melding stills with video. Additionally, the large size of the D90’s DX-format sensor, combined with the optical superiority and broad selection of NIKKOR lenses, provides shooters with the ability to capture amazing perspectives not possible with typical camcorders. D-Movie clips also benefit from Nikon VR image stabilization, which is automatically activated during recording to aid the low-light capability that trumps many other hybrid devices. Users can record movie clips onto an inserted SD / SDHC card, created as Motion JPEG AVI files that are easily edited with widely available video editing software. The D90 also features an HDMI terminal, allowing viewing of both pictures and movies on High Definition televisions.

D90 Delivers Peak Performance

The D90's unprecedented start up time and imperceptible shutter lag derives from the same standards as the professional sports photographer choice, the Nikon D3. JPEG bursts can be shot as rapidly as 4.5 frames per second, allowing photographers to capture detailed action sequences or catch fleeting expressions that might otherwise be missed. Images are also processed and previewed rapidly at 120ms, which is less time than it takes to move an eye from the viewfinder to the screen. Users are also able to creatively stop the action with a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 second or create long-time exposures down to 30 seconds.

Nikon's 11-point AF also offers best-in-class speed and performance, helping to ensure sharp focus at any focal length. Adopting a refined version of Nikon's advanced Multi-CAM 1000 AF Module, the AF system’s center area wide-frame operation adds inherent focusing options that will instill greater confidence in getting the desired shot. Single-point AF is suggested for static subjects, dynamic-area AF for moving subjects, auto-area AF for spontaneous shooting and 3D-tracking (11 points) AF for when changing the composition after focusing on a subject.

Push Creative Boundaries to the Limit

No matter the level of experience, the D90 makes high-quality photography fun and easier for a remarkably broad range of picture-takers. Users can enjoy complete control over all manual features or let the camera optimize settings automatically. For the camera novice and photography enthusiasts, the D90 puts all of the tools to explore new creative possibilities at their fingertips through the simple menu-driven interface. For those looking to enjoy the added performance and versatility of digital SLR photography, creative shooting is as simple as rotating the Mode dial with Advanced Scene modes on the camera. There are many options when it comes to realizing creative vision, such as Picture Control settings to provide an assorted palette of color effects that optimize color, saturation and hue through user-selected choices of Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, and Landscape. Popular editing tools such as Nikon’s exclusive D-Lighting and image trimming, image overlay, and a wide assortment of color filters can also be applied to images after capture. The D90 also provides new options for in-camera image enhancement, including:

o Distortion Control: Adjusts lens aberration
o Straighten: Helps to correct linear inclination of an image for straight horizons and landscapes
o Fisheye Effect: In camera filter produces optical effects similar to a fisheye lens

Skillfully Capture Inspiring Images

The D90 has been engineered with the photographer in mind with an intuitive interface that places a variety of automatic and advanced features at the hands of the user. The camera is built to withstand the rigors of an urban excursion or backcountry safari while boasting an impressive shutter mechanism that is tested to 100,000 cycles for durability. Whether upgrading from a compact digital camera or already a seasoned hobbyist, the D90 D-SLR will help anyone take great pictures, thanks in part to the following new features:

o Battery life: New circuitry enhances power consumption, affording up to 850 shots in typical conditions on a single charge of the Lithium Ion battery (CIPA standard)
o Viewfinder: The bright viewfinder offers a luminous 0.94x magnification to more accurately compose images
o LCD screen: The high-resolution 920,000-dot, 3-inch LCD screen gives a 170-degree angle of view to make both composing and sharing easy and fun
o New playback function: Users can show their images in either four, nine or 72 thumbnail images, or use a new calendar format to easily find photos; users can also show their photos via Nikon's Pictmotion slideshow, including background music
o Built-in Flash: The built-in Speedlight offers a guide number of approximately 18/56 (ISO 200) and can wirelessly control up to two groups of Speedlights in full iTTL mode

Nikon System Legacy

The D90 also offers unprecedented compatibility with Nikon’s extensive selection of NIKKOR lenses, including DX NIKKOR lenses, which are designed for optimum performance with Nikon DX format digital SLR cameras. NIKKOR lenses offer legendary optical superiority and add to the D90’s ability to deliver outstanding images. Paired with the D90 is the new AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens, which provides a versatile 5.8x optical zoom and VR image stabilization, for even sharper handheld picture taking. This lens offers a 27-157.5mm focal length in 35mm equivalent, a one-lens solution that offers a broad focal range to let photographers get up close and personal to their subjects from a distance, or wide for breathtaking landscapes. The built-in Silent Wave Motor ensures quick and quiet AF operation, while an aspherical element and ED glass deliver high resolution, high contrast images with minimal chromatic aberration and distortion.

Photographers will also enjoy advanced functionality anywhere in the world with system accessories designed for the adventurous globe trekker. When used with the Nikon GP-1 GPS unit (available separately beginning November 2008), the D90 provides geotagging to images with latitude, longitude and altitude data imprinted on the images' metadata. Users can also prolong their adventure with the MB-D80 battery pack that accepts two EN-EL3e or six widely available AA-size batteries. Additionally, photographers can share and upload their images with a wireless interface optimized for the Eye-Fi™ wireless enabled SD card wherever there is a wireless network.

The D90 is also fully compatible with Capture NX2 software (available for purchase separately), Nikon’s highly versatile and elegantly simple new photo editing solution designed to help photographers tap into the full potential of NEF (RAW) images. Featuring an innovative user interface that provides easier access to powerful and visually intuitive enhancement tools, Capture NX2 affords photographers the ability to use revolutionary control points.

Price and Availability

The D90 will be available throughout the United States beginning September 2008 at an MSRP of $999.95** for body only and $1299.95** for body and lens outfit that includes the new AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens. The GP-1 GPS unit will be available in November 2008, and pricing will be announced near the time of its delivery to the marketplace. For more information, please visit www.nikonusa.com.

http://gizmodo.com/5042209/nikon-d90-official-first-dslr-ever-with-hd-video-recording

K1W1
08-26-2008, 10:27 PM
An illuminated top LCD and wireless commander, two things missing on the D50.
I'm in and I'm going to buy from here (http://www.photobuff.com.au/).

ssil2000
08-26-2008, 10:31 PM
sounds very tempting...

Turn
08-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Nikon have spanked Canon once again..

movie mode on a DSLR...holy crap the world is going to end

JTL
08-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Nikon have spanked Canon once again..

movie mode on a DSLR...holy crap the world is going to end
Just wait until after the 5D replacement is announced and then Nikon comes over-the-top with the D3x...really, Nikon has finally figured out this game and it's about time...because in the end, this newly intense competition is great for all of us...

Rooz
08-26-2008, 11:54 PM
welcome to the new world.

faisal
08-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Temptation is too small a word right now....I'm hoping Canon has a good Camera on the way

p.s. you never know, Sony might just spank Canon and Nikon :eek:

ssil2000
08-27-2008, 02:32 AM
i think i may sell the d80 and 18-55 and the 55-200 and get the the d90 body only, then get a macro lens to go with the the 50 then get a zoom later on... thinking...

Rooz
08-27-2008, 02:36 AM
http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2008/08/chase-jarvis-raw-advance-testing-nikon.html

man this is a slam dunk if ever i saw one. lol

K1W1
08-27-2008, 02:46 AM
man this is a slam dunk if ever i saw one. lol

First of all it's legit. Some of the images on the video are in the D90 brochure that can be downloaded from Nikon. Don't ask how I know. :)

Next I assume that Lucas has asked you today for a camera for Christmas and that you are likely to oblige with a nice D90 that you will be able to let him use once you "figure it out". :D

ssil2000
08-27-2008, 02:59 AM
i think they just hit jackpot really,and they introduced movie mode but not just any old crappy p&s movie mode but 720p 24fps movie mode... and you can control the DOF... bigger lcd d300 sensor wow... i think its a winner...

Rooz
08-27-2008, 03:04 AM
lol, as tempting as it is, i want FX.

however..this does make me wonder where this is all going. imagine the possibilities ? filming with an 80-400VR ? fisheye ? wideangle ? the dof possibilities ? this body has really revolutionised the market and it will never be the same again. whats even more amazing to me is that they just trumped canon again. what a complete reversal from a few years ago eh ?

with the 450d, 40d and 50d all new, it will take another 12-18mnths for canon to catch up. even then, there is the d3x still to come. never thought i'd see the day where canon were going to compete on price and MP.

K1W1
08-27-2008, 03:33 AM
it will take another 12-18mnths for canon to catch up.

By then the D60 replacement will be on or very near the market and the D300 replacement won't be far away either and you can guarantee that both of them will have movie mode plus some other features we don't even know about yet.

herc182
08-27-2008, 03:44 AM
Well I for one have shat my pants...

Whats annoying is that I was strongly considering the D700 (a lot of saving I know) but the D90 would be such a good addition.

I would have to sell my beloved D80 though.

Rooz
08-27-2008, 03:46 AM
in all the hoopla i forgot to mention the Nikon GPS unit. pretty cool i suppose for some people or for when you go travelling. knowing nikon it'll be very pricey though. pricks.
GPS unit

Along with the D90 Nikon also announced a very neat little GPS unit, the GP-1. We don't have a lot of information on it at the moment except that it sits on the hot shoe and attaches to the same port as the new MC-DC2 Remote cord (it would appear that the D90 isn't compatible with the D80's MC-DC1 remote cord). From what we understand the GP-1 will be compatible with all Nikon's most recent SLRs (the D3, D300, D700, D2x, D2hs & D200) but are awaiting confirmation on this. It's worth noting that the GP-1 (which provides geotagging information in the EXIF data) doesn't use the standard 9-pin D Sub connector for GPS, nor does the D90 have Nikon's 10 pin data port.
[/URL]http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/NikonD90/images/GP1-001.jpg (http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS5D/Images/batterygrip01.jpg)http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/NikonD90/images/d90+GP1-001.jpg (http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/NikonD90/images/d90+GP1.jpg)[URL="http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD300/Images/withgrip02.jpg"]

Turn
08-27-2008, 03:48 AM
24fps video? what kind of crap is that, give me 60 like the S3 IS has

herc182
08-27-2008, 03:53 AM
24fps video? what kind of crap is that, give me 60 like the S3 IS has

Use your S3 IS then :)

craigyc
08-27-2008, 03:53 AM
Cha ching! this is gonna be mine for sure! Lets just wait and see what ridiculous price they will charge in UK for the body!

herc182
08-27-2008, 04:18 AM
Cha ching! this is gonna be mine for sure! Lets just wait and see what ridiculous price they will charge in UK for the body!

see here:
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Nikon_unveils_D90_with_video_news_266340.html

priced as £699 body only.

K1W1
08-27-2008, 04:19 AM

699.99 pounds sterling according to DPReview.

craigyc
08-27-2008, 04:21 AM
Oh wow! Looks like its going have to be an ebay purchase then! An extra £200 could get a D300 here!

Rooz
08-27-2008, 04:23 AM
how long do those RRP prices last though ? like a week ? lol

achuang
08-27-2008, 05:10 AM
A week sounds about right. If the price is right then there could be an upgrade for me in the future. I wish it had the D300 AF though.

Rooz
08-27-2008, 05:19 AM
http://chsvimg.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/d90/en/d-movie/

herc182
08-27-2008, 05:34 AM
A week sounds about right. If the price is right then there could be an upgrade for me in the future. I wish it had the D300 AF though.

if it had the D300 AF then there would be very little to separate the two apart from body, weather sealing and FPS shooting.

I wanted it too!

achuang
08-27-2008, 06:04 AM
if it had the D300 AF then there would be very little to separate the two apart from body, weather sealing and FPS shooting.

I wanted it too!

The D80 and D200 had the same AF, so that's why I was hoping that the D90 might have the AF of the D300.

Rooz
08-27-2008, 06:13 AM
cant imagine though that the flagship D3 and the enthusiast d90 would have the exact same AF system. i did expect it to be an increase from 11 though.

herc182
08-27-2008, 06:18 AM
valid point.

I am torn....I wanna see the high ISO performance before making a commitment.

Rooz
08-27-2008, 06:25 AM
hi iso should be close to or at least very similar to the d300 given its the same sensor. i dont think a camera can survive nowadays without being a decent iso performer. interesting that there's no 14 bit. not that i ever use it mind you but still...

btw: can anyone understand the retarded logic behind releasing another cheapo DX zoom, (no VRII either), while ignoring their mid -top end ? wheres the updated 24-120VR FX zoom ?

K1W1
08-27-2008, 06:49 AM
btw: can anyone understand the retarded logic behind releasing another cheapo DX zoom, (no VRII either)

Dollars.
They probably sell 1000 low end zooms for each high end one and make the same amount of dollars per lens with a lower capital cost.

Rooz
08-27-2008, 06:53 AM
rich, noticed that amazon is accepting preorders for d90+18-105VR for 1299. that'd put it body only for around the $1k mark which was where we expected it to be.

nikon australia's RRP's are obviously a bit out of whack. hopefully PB have a much better price.

K1W1
08-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Yep Nikon Aus gouging as usual. :)

US$1299.00 @0.85 = $1528.00 and what do Nikon Aus want? $1800.00?
It's a bit rich when you can buy a D300 without lens for $1900.00 at the moment.

I can't see the RRP lasting long UNLESS Nikon have grossly underestimated the manufacturing but they do seem to have had that about right for the last couple of models. I suspect that there will be at least a couple of hundred reasons to wait a month or two and from my point of view my D50 has another 900 or so shots to get to 20k so I owe it that at least and Tims Cricket is Saturday morning this year so I don't NEED the low light CMOS sensor on Friday evenings when they bat in the gloom. :)

cincyimages
08-27-2008, 07:11 AM
VIDEO OF NIKON D90

Chase Jarvis RAW: Advanced Testing The Nikon D90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVQX1rC-fRA

Turn
08-27-2008, 07:46 AM
I can smell big money for Nikon in the near future...

big..big money

the quality of the video is damn impressive and really begs the question if its even worth getting a camcorder anymore if a dSLR can take video, because you don't need to worry if the still images are any good and it covers a good 80% of the population who want HDish quality

cincyimages
08-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Watch Nikon's stock today :)

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=nikon

herc182
08-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Admittedly I am one of those that was bitter about live view in the first place. Video also annoyed me (in principle). But now I think, why not?!

i only really keep my Fuji for movie capabilities (and when I go on construction sites). So this could very well be my panacea :)

Camerajunkie
08-27-2008, 09:10 AM
but with 420-pixel RGB sensor—versus their 1,005-pixel sensor&msash

Can someone translate that into terms I can grasp easier?

anco85
08-27-2008, 09:39 AM
I'll stick to my D80 for now.

Not because I'm jealous/envious of the future D90 owners, not because I still think video on a D-SLR is a little gimmicky, but only because I can't afford it right now.

As soon as this thing drops significantly in price, the D80 will become my secondary camera

JTL
08-27-2008, 11:40 AM
p.s. you never know, Sony might just spank Canon and Nikon :eek:And Santa and his reindeer just might fly out of my a$$...

Aldor88
08-27-2008, 12:15 PM
I want one! :(

I'll probably get one sometime after christmas, couple it with a 35/f2 and a 105VR macro. Thats a lot of money, money i don't have :).

Why do i want it?
-Focus screw
-Focus points
-ISO preformance
-Better Screen
-Dust removal
-MP

The video feature is still pretty basic but with a little developing it will be much better. Taking stills and AF during video is the next step as well as longer duration. I think we will see this in the next pro bodies.

I think dslr video has potential, cant wait to try out macro video :D.

Turo
08-27-2008, 01:03 PM
The video seems like a pretty cool idea, but I still want a D300 (or D700 if I win the lottery!), since my only interest is in photography, not video.

achuang
08-27-2008, 04:21 PM
I don't think it will replace the camcorder for a lot of people, but will be a nice convenience. There is no AF while in video mode so that will deter a lot of people used to the luxury of AF.

K1W1
08-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Can someone translate that into terms I can grasp easier?

It's not as sophisticated (or accurate) as the sensor used in the D300/D700 et al. That is what you would expect at the price point Nikon have to leave something out otherwise the market for the higher end cameras would collapse.

This does not mean it's no good simply that you cannot expect the same level of performance in the 3D tracking that the D300 has.

Camerajunkie
08-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks K1W1.

I know either way it's way better than my D50. I'm just trying to decide if I go the D90 or the D300 route.

K1W1
08-27-2008, 04:43 PM
If you go D90 you can reuse all your SD cards. :D

Camerajunkie
08-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Oooooooooooo. That's a plus. Does it say how large of cards it takes? The D50 really only handles 2 GB. I'd love to get larger, faster cards.

Rooz
08-27-2008, 05:50 PM
it will take the latest high capacity cards.

tim11
08-27-2008, 05:58 PM
I will buy a D90 with that new kit lens.
Stuff the face detection... but the video will come as extra.

craigyc
08-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Wonder if that lens is any good then I may consider picking up the kit and selling my D40 with the 18-55 instead of just selling the body.

JTL
08-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Video faries...:p

K1W1
08-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Video faries...:p

Well at least silver isn't an option. :D
And besides lets revisit this comment in 12 months after the "we are following the technology leader" company introduces their own version of video with their rather mediocre kit lenses. :D:D

cincyimages
08-27-2008, 08:23 PM
New Nikon Holds a Secret

If you saw it just sitting there, you’d never guess that the new Nikon D90 is a mind-blowing, game-changing camera.

It looks like any other big, black intermediate single-lens reflex camera: much more compact than a professional model, but much bigger and heavier than a pocket camera. An S.L.R. comes with a shoulder strap because it needs one.

What you get in return for looking like a tourist, of course, is the potential for absolutely stunning photos. Thanks to factors like high-quality, interchangeable lenses, a huge light sensor and high-speed circuitry that reduces shutter lag to zero, the pictures you get from an S.L.R. generally make pocket cameras’ output look like amateur hour.

The new D90, which arrives in stores next month, happens to be a superb S.L.R. At $1,000 (or $1,300 with a new 18-105 millimeter, image-stabilized lens), it’s priced neatly between the D300 (Nikon’s bigger, heavier, all-metal professional model, $1,650 online) and the intermediate D80 ($720 online), which will soon be discontinued. (These last two are body-only prices; lenses are not included.)

The specs and features sit neatly between those cameras, too. The D90 has a 12.3-megapixel CMOS sensor that measures 1.14 inches diagonally (24 by 16 millimeters), a hair smaller than on professional cameras. At start-up (or on command), the D90 gives that sensor a little shudder to shake off dust that may have entered the camera during a lens change, in that way avoiding shadowy specks in the photos.

This camera is rocket-fast, too. Autofocus is nearly instantaneous, shutter lag (the delay after the button is pressed) is zero, and you can snap 4.5 photos a second for as long as you keep the button pressed.

There are some new features: a clever calendar that lets you hunt down photos by date, right on the camera; an effect that simulates the spherical view of a fish-eye lens; a jack for an external G.P.S. receiver that is coming from Nikon (for geotagging pictures); a function that straightens off-kilter horizons; face-recognition autofocus; and so on.

But none of that is the big news.

If you want a hint, consider the D90’s Live View feature, with which you can frame a photo using the extremely sharp three-inch screen.

This, of course, is how every compact camera on earth works, but until Olympus pioneered the system a couple of years ago, S.L.R.’s required you to compose a shot by pressing your eye to the optical viewfinder. The screen was used exclusively for playing back pictures.

The challenge, on an S.L.R., was figuring out what to do with the mirror inside. Ordinarily, it bounces light from the lens into the eyepiece; it flips out of the way, exposing the sensor, only at the instant a photo is taken. To display a live image on the screen, you’d have to lock that mirror out of the way, so that the sensor receives light continuously.

That’s exactly what happens when you press the Live View button on the D90. You hear a little clack — that’s the mirror flipping aside — and a live video image appears on the screen. Now you can shoot photos at angles where holding the camera to your head just wouldn’t work; it comes in handy more often than you might think. At this point, you can also zoom in to assure perfect focus.

There are compromises, though. When the mirror is out of the way, the D90 relies on a slower, contrast-detection autofocus system; it can sometimes take several seconds to lock focus in Live View mode.

But don’t knock Live View. It, after all, is the key to the breakthrough feature of the D90, the secret that turns it into a completely new kind of recording instrument. Ready?

The D90 is the first S.L.R. in the world that can record video.

High-definition video, at that. Stunning, vivid, 720p, widescreen, 1024-by-720, 24-frames-per-second video, with the color and clarity that only an S.L.R. can provide.

Evidently, it occurred to some engineer: “Hey, we’re already showing a video image. Isn’t that, in essence, what Live View is? Maybe we could figure out a way to record it!”

Now, most people’s first reaction is: “Well, duh. My $200 Canon has been capturing video for years.” Or maybe: “What a gimmick. Who’d ever use video on a $1,000 piece of photographic equipment?” Or, at best: “Well, I guess it might sometimes be useful to snag a video clip when I’m out there shooting stills.”

But there’s something much bigger going on here. Remember: any control, effect or lens that’s available to the D90’s still photos is now available for videos.

Think of all the freedom you gain that you wouldn’t generally have on a camcorder: control over focus, depth of field and exposure; special effects like fish-eye, monochrome and vivid; and excellent image stabilization when using a Nikon VR lens.

But here’s the real mind-blower: You now have a video camera that takes interchangeable lenses. Before the D90, if you wanted a hi-def video camera with removable lenses, you’d pay $7,000 for the camera alone, and another $7,000 to $20,000 for each lens.

On this camera, though, I tried Nikon’s $500 fish-eye lens, and filmed a complete 180-degree vista without having to turn or pan. With a macro lens, I filmed a bumblebee, huge and clear as though it were in a National Geographic documentary. With a huge telephoto lens, sitting in my bleachers seat at the Pilot Pen tennis tournament, I was suddenly filming what other people could capture only as still images. (You can see sample stills and videos at nytimes.com/personaltech.) Independent filmmakers, rejoice.

Meanwhile, the zoom ring gives you far more zooming control than a typical camcorder does. For example, you can do a snap zoom, from 1X to 10X, in half a second.

Now then, before you get on the D90 waiting list, a word of warning: it’s not a camcorder.

Its screen does not flip out and swivel, so you can’t easily film yourself. There’s a microphone and speaker, but the sound is mono. And the AVI-format video, while easily edited in programs like iMovie and Movie Maker, eats up an insane amount of memory-card space — about 400 megabytes a minute. (Fortunately, the camera accommodates SD cards as big as they come — 32 gigabytes, for example, which is good for 80 minutes of video.)

An individual shot can’t be longer than five minutes in hi-def, either, or 20 minutes in standard definition; after that, the sensor heats up too much. So don’t expect to film the school play on this thing.

Worst of all, the autofocus doesn’t work for video. You can autofocus before you start rolling (half-press the shutter button), or you can use the manual-focus ring while filming. But those are kludges; if the distance to the subject changes while you’re filming, moments of blurriness are inevitable.

In other words, the Nikon D90 presents benefits and drawbacks unlike any other category of image-recording equipment. On one hand, your creativity may be challenged by the lack of autofocus, the limited shot duration and the enormous file size.

On the other hand, the D90 brings you an incredible range of video image controls; interchangeable lenses at a fraction of the usual prices for video; a gigantic sensor that takes videos in lighting conditions that would render traditional camcorders useless; and the convenience of capturing short, sharp video clips without hauling around a second machine.

It’s pretty funny that it comes from Nikon, a company with practically no experience in video cameras — and not, say, a camcorder/camera behemoth like Sony or Canon.

But who cares? Even with its 1.0 limitations, the D90 is an outstanding still camera and an eyebrow-raising video camera. Check it out, people: the era of the video S.L.R. has begun.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/28/technology/personaltech/28pogue.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&em

JTL
08-27-2008, 09:56 PM
And besides lets revisit this comment in 12 months after the "we are following the technology leader" company introduces their own version of video with their rather mediocre kit lenses. :D:DAnd, they'll offer "predictive focus", which means some day they predict it will actually focus correctly...:D:D:D

mugsisme
08-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Oh man. I want one. I am finding the 3 AF on my D40 so limiting. :-(

But that D80 was so big and clunky in my hand when I tried it before I bought the D40. I wonder if now that I have been taking pictures and am used to the D40 if it won't seem so big.

I wish I had the money to get it.

teko
08-28-2008, 01:21 AM
Preview by Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/digitalcameras/showdoc.aspx?i=3393
Preview by dpreview: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond90/

720p video at 24fps!!! I want an upgrade >_<

The movie quality samples are pretty good: http://chsvimg.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/d90/en/d-movie/

Rooz
08-28-2008, 05:22 AM
there is a price to pay for all this goodness. 2nd hand market for nikkor's has hit the roof.

K1W1
08-28-2008, 05:52 AM
there is a price to pay for all this goodness. 2nd hand market for nikkor's has hit the roof.

Great news.
Anybody want to buy a three year old 70-300"G" lens for US$1000.00?
Okay, it was free with my camera and I sold it for $150 but I can replace it with a new one for anybody who is interested.
While I think about it I also have a 50mm f1.8 for sale for only US$1575.00 (plus p&p). Any takers.:p

aparmley
08-28-2008, 08:17 AM
I have been thinking about spending anywhere between $800-$1,200 on an HDish Digital Camcorder within the next year. I could simply buy the D90, use all my Nikon lenses for use with both photography and video capture. Thats huge. will probably need a few extra batteries and memory Constant VR on video mode and huge 720p mpgs will fly threw the juice and storage fast.

I was hoping to see more than 11 AF points - but the way I'm reading it, if you use live view you can focus on any part of the frame?

Anyway, Nikon has released a very interesting camera.

GaryS
08-28-2008, 09:02 AM
I was just thinking yesterday... "What's happened to Parmley?"

VTEC_EATER
08-28-2008, 12:03 PM
While I an very excited about the news of the D90, and this video option, I am by no means going to give up my D300 for it.

But this is really cool and Im very excited to be in the photography world at this time.

Aldor88
08-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Its no D300 that's for sure, the video option is just something cool on the side. Its still a still camera meant for taking still shot's. The highISO preformance looks promising tho.
In a few years i see this kind of video technology evolving into something much better tho.

Some iso test shots and a preview.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D90/D90A7.HTM

GaryS
08-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Personally, I think the video recording idea is AWESOME! When I bought my SLR, I knew I was giving up the video recording.... but it is the #1 feature I miss from my Canon S2.

Good work Nikon!

K1W1
08-28-2008, 04:21 PM
I have been thinking about spending anywhere between $800-$1,200 on an HDish Digital Camcorder within the next year. I could simply buy the D90, use all my Nikon lenses for use with both photography and video capture.

Think it through carefully.
There are some very big limitations to the D90 video.
To start it's a maximum 5 minutes per recording.
There is no auto focus available while recording.
I have not seen whether there is auto aperture adjustment when recording but I suspect not.
The ergonomics are ordinary to say the least for a video camera. Take your current camera with a zoom lens mounted hold it at arms length so you can see the LCD keep hold your finger on the shutter release then try to adjust the zoom on the lens and adjust the focus on the lens and pan smoothly.
For a DSLR it's a great feature and it does have some very interesting possibilities but it is not a replacement for a video camera by any means.

Turn
08-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Think it through carefully.
There are some very big limitations to the D90 video.
To start it's a maximum 5 minutes per recording.
There is no auto focus available while recording.
I have not seen whether there is auto aperture adjustment when recording but I suspect not.
The ergonomics are ordinary to say the least for a video camera. Take your current camera with a zoom lens mounted hold it at arms length so you can see the LCD keep hold your finger on the shutter release then try to adjust the zoom on the lens and adjust the focus on the lens and pan smoothly.
For a DSLR it's a great feature and it does have some very interesting possibilities but it is not a replacement for a video camera by any means.

either way its a massive jump

I think that if Canon want to stay relevant now, they'll need to introduce auto focus in movie mode for DSLR

K1W1
08-28-2008, 05:01 PM
either way its a massive jump

I think that if Canon want to stay relevant now, they'll need to introduce auto focus in movie mode for DSLR

Of course it is both from a technology and a mindset point of view. Whether it works particularly well is not the issue, it's the fact it exist at all that is the point.
And it's not only Canon who have a problem at the moment. I suspect that very few engineers in any DSLR manufacturer other than Nikon have been sleeping very well this week. :D

Aldor88
08-29-2008, 09:40 AM
http://www.nikonproducts.co.uk/d90-video.aspx

All shot with a D90, not bad.

Camerajunkie
08-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks Aldor. That just made my choice all that much more difficult.

Aldor88
08-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks Aldor. That just made my choice all that much more difficult.
Hehe nps :D

Camerajunkie
08-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Okay, seriously. For someone wanting to get into photography on a more professional basis, do I need to go more than the D90? I don't want to outgrow a camera quickly. And yeah, I know I need to learn a lot more as I'm doing this. But the best way I learn is by doing. :)

Turo
08-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Depends on what you will be shooting I guess. For me, since I mostly do fast sports, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a D300 with its 51-point AF system! The D90 is nice, and the movie mode is a cool idea, but I wouldn't trade them for the D300 because the D300 fits my needs much better! Not to mention that ridiculous fps with the battery grip! Man, I need to win the lottery!

XaiLo
08-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Of course it is both from a technology and a mindset point of view. Whether it works particularly well is not the issue, it's the fact it exist at all that is the point.
And it's not only Canon who have a problem at the moment. I suspect that very few engineers in any DSLR manufacturer other than Nikon have been sleeping very well this week. :D

This reads like one of those smug comment posts wrong thread lol :D :p

toriaj
08-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Okay, seriously. For someone wanting to get into photography on a more professional basis, do I need to go more than the D90? I don't want to outgrow a camera quickly. And yeah, I know I need to learn a lot more as I'm doing this. But the best way I learn is by doing. :)

I have a D50 too. For me, it makes sense not to upgrade the body until I go Dxxx (D300 maybe, or it will probably be at least D500 by the time I get there, lol.) To me, the Dxx don't have enough changes to be worth the switch, just to want to switch up to Dxxx probably later on anyway. Lenses and experience are the ticket for me just now.

But that's just me, I'm sure there are plenty of other people who'd recommend the upgrade.

Turo
08-29-2008, 12:43 PM
But that's just me, I'm sure there are plenty of other people who'd recommend the upgrade.

I am with you. My D50 is still going strong (with the exception of a few hot pixels here and there), so I am spending my money on upgrading lenses for now. Maybe I'll pick up a used D300 later (or D400 if I wait long enough!).

erichlund
08-29-2008, 05:01 PM
So, Nikon is up to D90. Where do they go next, DA0? Computer Geeks will understand that. For the rest of you, hexidecimal notation goes 0123456789ABCDEF and then 10. It's base 16.

Or does this mean they are done? ;-)

K1W1
08-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Eric,

What is wrong with "E" as in E10, E11, etc?

Aldor88
08-29-2008, 06:21 PM
D95, D91, D90markII, D91 or a totally new name. Who knows :)