PDA

View Full Version : Maternity Pics

domenic
08-20-2008, 06:52 AM
Hello fellow nikonians!
I have posted this topic in the Tips & techniques section, but wonder if you guys may give me some advice on the fllowing.

Im just looking for a bit of advice regarding 'Materntiy Protraits' I have been asekd by my friends girlfriend to take some pics of her & her "bump"!

She has a few ideas of the poses she likes, and has stated that she wants B&W images.

My concern is lighting and composition....... and er... well everything.

I was planning on Using my D40, with 50mm f1.8.

Lightining wise I only have my SB600 at the moment, and wasn't planning on purchasing any kit just yest as Im emigrating to Australia next month and dont want to have to lug anything with me.

Can anyone suggets some ideas for lighting setups, perhaps the purchase of a reflactor etc.

Regards

Dom

K1W1
08-20-2008, 07:05 AM
Can't help with the equipment but a search on Flickr for "Maternity" gave 43,277 image results. A search for the same word in groups resulted in 271 hits.
You should be able to get specific advice from there if nobody here can help.

P.S. Which part of Australia?

achuang
08-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Without buying any extra bits of gear you'll be able to get some decent portraits just by using the SB600 on camera. You'll just have to find a good place to bounce the light. A room with white walls and ceiling is a good place, or a room with some nice window light can give some nice shadows to define the shape of her bump.

Since you won't be using off-camera flash, but you'll want to mimic it, remember to bounce the flash off the wall as if you were positioning the flash off-camera from that same spot.

domenic
08-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Hi Kiwi,
Im flying out to Cairns in September!! :eek:

Thanks for the replies so far.

Cheers

Dom

K1W1
08-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Hi Kiwi,
Im flying out to Cairns in September!! :eek:

Boy are you in for a shock. :D
English Autumn to North Queensland Spring and Summer in 36 hours or so.

domenic
08-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Hi Kiwi,
Yea I know! It is summer time here in the UK although it feels more like autum, I belive it's in the mid 20's out there at the moment.

I take with a name K1w1 ypur have some connection with NZ?

Cheers

Dom