PDA

View Full Version : Rate your Lenses in terms of FOCUS SPEED!!

Viky
08-20-2008, 03:47 AM
Hi,

How about we rate the lenses in our kit (even ones already sold) in terms of focus speed and focus noise... from the fastest to the slowest..

<Position> <Lens> <Your Comment on its SPEED & NOISE>

This could be a great resource of Lens Ownership experience... and its fun too..

rgds,

Viky

K1W1
08-20-2008, 04:26 AM
Sorry but IMO this is a silly question.
Every answer is going to be totally subjective, have no basis in science or means of comparison with an other answer and many of the responses will be based on personal bias.
I cannot see any meaningful outcome for this thread.

Viky
08-20-2008, 05:06 AM
I'm sorry you didn't like the concept, but its pretty straight & simple. As a DSLR user and owner of x number of lenses, how do you rate their focusing performance.

And why would it be biased? You are rating from among your own lenses based on your own experience!

This is not for any scientific comparison... just sharing personal user experience:)

Gintaras
08-20-2008, 05:41 AM
Viky, there is a special thread for lenses where you can post your impressions, rating, etc... why you want to compare just focus speed? i consider focus accuracy inseparable from focus speed and every lens has its purpose. plus many issues affect focus speed.

JTL
08-20-2008, 05:43 AM
Coke Bottle - Very slow, because you have to open it and drink it first.

Glass Ashtray - Totally dependent on the amount of butts and residual ash.

Sheep's Ass - Only used in Australia, so we'll have to wait for others to comment.

achuang
08-20-2008, 06:50 AM

Sheep's Ass - Only used in Australia, so we'll have to wait for others to comment.

I knew you couldn't resist:p How about an ice cube?

K1W1
08-20-2008, 06:50 AM
And why would it be biased? You are rating from among your own lenses based on your own experience!

You have explained the very reasons why you will get biased answers.
The vast majority of DSLR owners only have experience with a very limited number of lenses from one or maybe two manufacturers. There is no way any sort of unbiased accurate comments can be made with that little amount of experience.
In my case I have used 5 lenses on my current DSLR. Can I accurately say that lens A focuses faster or more accurately than lens B that I sold two years ago? Maybe I should compare lens C with the equivalent focal length lens from another manufacturer that is in a cupboard somewhere and was last used maybe 20 years ago?

Viky
08-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Viky, there is a special thread for lenses where you can post your impressions, rating, etc... why you want to compare just focus speed? i consider focus accuracy inseparable from focus speed and every lens has its purpose. plus many issues affect focus speed.

I understand your valid point that focus accuracy is of equal importance... but i thought most lenses produce accurate focus unless they a bad sample of something.

The idea actually came into mind when I recently used a friends 400D with the Canon 400mm 5.6L. Damn! It just blew me away in focus speed... zero lag and zero hunting.. I had my 70-300 mounted on my 400D and under the same lighting it was as slow as a duck!

You have explained the very reasons why you will get biased answers.
The vast majority of DSLR owners only have experience with a very limited number of lenses from one or maybe two manufacturers. There is no way any sort of unbiased accurate comments can be made with that little amount of experience.
In my case I have used 5 lenses on my current DSLR. Can I accurately say that lens A focuses faster or more accurately than lens B that I sold two years ago? Maybe I should compare lens C with the equivalent focal length lens from another manufacturer that is in a cupboard somewhere and was last used maybe 20 years ago?

I don't understand what makes this so difficult:confused: Just lighten up and share your perception of the lenses you regularly use:) Just like people are doing here (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=555968):).

If you still feel that it's a silly idea then please accept my sincere apologies for having wasted your time:(

We already know that you are a smartass:p No need to keep proving it again and again;)

JTL
08-20-2008, 09:26 AM
We already know that you are a smartass...My ass is not only smart, but beautiful too...

Gintaras
08-20-2008, 09:52 AM
The idea actually came into mind when I recently used a friends 400D with the Canon 400mm 5.6L. Damn! It just blew me away in focus speed... zero lag and zero hunting.. I had my 70-300 mounted on my 400D and under the same lighting it was as slow as a duck!

Viky, you compare expensive PRO L-serie prime lens that cost near 1200$ to the old non-L zoom 70-300 lens that cost 600$ ... and complain the latter is not fast enough, sharp enough, etc??? COOL :eek:

I think you better stop there. Btw, I thought primes must have better auto focusing because of fixed range anyway, but may be I am mistaken.

Gintaras
08-20-2008, 09:55 AM
My ass is not only smart, but beautiful too...

JTL, blind statements do not fly, where is the proof??? post the image of it here :p

JTL
08-20-2008, 10:48 AM
JTL, blind statements do not fly, where is the proof??? post the image of it here :pWhat I meant to say is: "IMO, my ass is not only smart, but beautiful too..." :D;):p

I'm so glad I was able to salvage this thread...