08-16-2008, 05:49 AM
His review looks eerily similar to the writings of one of our
members. Funny they both start with K

Here you go if interested
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d700.htm

rawpaw18
08-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Couple of his complaints:

3.) The supplied black Nikon body cap says nothing on the inside. All my other caps say Nikon BF-1A and Made in Japan.

Makes me not even consider the D700.

4.) As an amateur camera, the D700 has the idiot beeper (CFN d1) defaulted to ON, while the professional D3 has it OFF.

Uh, change it

K1W1
08-16-2008, 06:13 AM
By my quick calculations he is shooting and backing up 120GB worth of data EVERY month on ONE camera. I wish I was his hard drive supplier. There again he probably assumes none of his readers can do basic maths.

Turn
08-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Ken gets win for his brilliance and mind bending descriptions

Visual Reality
08-16-2008, 09:28 AM

3.) The supplied black Nikon body cap says nothing on the inside. All my other caps say Nikon BF-1A and Made in Japan.

Makes me not even consider the D700.

4.) As an amateur camera, the D700 has the idiot beeper (CFN d1) defaulted to ON, while the professional D3 has it OFF.

Uh, change it
On both points...I really hope this wasn't actually what he said...if so.....wow!

Never visiting his site again. Don't fuel this idiot's ad revenue.

Beowulff
08-16-2008, 09:51 AM

Um... Ken made it quite clear that these were not serious concerns of his (which he listed separately) but rather "piddly" issues to quote his copy. I interpret this to mean he simply mentioned these things in passing, and certainly wasn't suggesting they'd make or break the sale for him (or should for others).

I'm not quite sure why Ken Rockwell "bashing" seems to be the flavour of the day, not only here, but on a couple of other photography forums as well.

I always read Ken's stuff, and find his gently self-deprecating sense of humour and lightweight prose really refreshing after reading all those oh-so-serious technical reviews on many other sites.

I wonder too why so many of Ken's detractors obviously hang on his every word, read his pages closely, and then bother to write disparaging posts about him elsewhere.

There's an easy answer guys if you don't like the man, that's your choice, but please... give us a break with the anti-Ken diatribes!

Cheers :)

ColColt
08-16-2008, 09:54 AM
The Nikon D700 is Nikon's top new amateur camera.

I wonder what this guy considers a "professional grade camera"?

JTL
08-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Beowulf, if you don't like anti-Ken diatribes, take your own advice, don't read them! Meanwhile, I'll express my opinion as I see fit, thank you.

Ken Rockwell is an idiot. He gets bashed because he is a pontificating a-hole who doesn't have a clue. For example, when the D700 was announced, he was questioning the need for it and asking who was it for. Meanwhile, no one can keep the thing in stock. So I guess it was for a lot of people who Ken has no idea even exist. So, who is he babbling to all the time? Himself?

So, what does this mean? It means Ken Rockwell has the common sense and intuition of a rock (well).

Oh, and by the way, in the review, Ken says he thinks that noise and sharpness are "irrelevant issues" that only geeks care about! What a complete f'ing moron! If that were true, than I guess wedding and fashion photographers should just be using P&S cameras. He is so stupid, I have to puke now...

Beowulff
08-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Whoa there JTL... calm down!

We're not discussing rewriting the Gettysburg Address here my friend. You need to lighten up a bit.

Obviously (judging by your defensive response) you're one of those people I mentioned that reads Ken's reviews word for word, and then posts on here complaining the guy's an idiot. You can't have it both ways. You either choose to reas his "babble" (as you do) or you don't.

Pretty simple really. ;)

rawpaw18
08-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Sorry to start a war. :eek:

I just posted a couple of his comments, thought they were ammusing.

Stop the thread I want to get off.

Rasidel Slika
08-16-2008, 01:06 PM
I thought he was a member here... in fact, I thought he was one of the people who posted in here... guess not...(?)

JTL
08-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Whoa there JTL... calm down!Calm down? ROTFLMAO! Once again, dude, read your own words! You either choose to read my posts and respond or you don't Really, it's very funny, in an ironic sort of way...:D:D:D

And, there ain't nothin' defensive about it. In my opinion (and in the opinion of people the world over), the man is an idiot. Guess what? We're allowed to think he's an idiot and allowed to express our feelings about his idiocy! You sound like a PC fascist/commie to me! How's that for an opinion! :p:D:p
---

Seriously...

Notice how no one would ever dream of bashing Thom Hogan yet so, so many people mercilessly bash Ken Rockwell...now, why do we think that is? ;)

Just putting it out there for thought...

Aldor88
08-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Um... Ken made it quite clear that these were not serious concerns of his (which he listed separately) but rather "piddly" issues to quote his copy. I interpret this to mean he simply mentioned these things in passing, and certainly wasn't suggesting they'd make or break the sale for him (or should for others).

I'm not quite sure why Ken Rockwell "bashing" seems to be the flavour of the day, not only here, but on a couple of other photography forums as well.

I always read Ken's stuff, and find his gently self-deprecating sense of humour and lightweight prose really refreshing after reading all those oh-so-serious technical reviews on many other sites.

I wonder too why so many of Ken's detractors obviously hang on his every word, read his pages closely, and then bother to write disparaging posts about him elsewhere.

There's an easy answer guys if you don't like the man, that's your choice, but please... give us a break with the anti-Ken diatribes!

Cheers :)

I'll have to agree, well written post.

rawpaw18
08-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Please stop the thread. Had no intentions of causing probs

JTL
08-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Please stop the thread. Had no intentions of causing probsJust having some fun...I don't think there are any real problems...but, I'm sorry if my posts made you uncomfortable...

I was just kidding anyway! Ken Rockwell is great. I love him! :):D:)

K1W1
08-16-2008, 04:39 PM

You have overstepped the line there buddy. Immediately sell your quality Nikon equipment and go back to the fairy wing brigade.
Never post in this forum again.
:D:D:D:D:D

JTL
08-16-2008, 05:53 PM
You have overstepped the line there buddy. Immediately sell your quality Nikon equipment and go back to the fairy wing brigade.
Never post in this forum again.
:D:D:D:D:DYou mean I have to go back to having half my shots not be in focus? Damn...:(

rawpaw18
08-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Just having some fun...I don't think there are any real problems...but, I'm sorry if my posts made you uncomfortable...

Its cool man. Now that K1W1 guy, well theres another story.

XaiLo
08-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Thom who? :D And I got mines here, here, and here. :p

Kiwi time to divy up. Didn't that other Aussie get banned. ;)

Nice to see you guys playing so well together. :eek:

Beowulff
08-17-2008, 03:04 AM
Thanks for this Aldor...
I'll have to agree, well written post.

I didn't realise I was gonna start a flame war with my comments re Ken Rockwell, and I apologise if I've caused distress to anybody on this thread it certainly wasn't my intention!

And from me to you JTL... an olive branch from Downunder... no hard feelings mate. :)

I guess in a lot of cases we just have to agree to disagree on certain topics and hell knows, there's a tonne of 'em! Politics, religion, economics, abortion, wars, etc etc etc.

And even camera brands ! ;) !

Cheers to all.

rawpaw18
08-17-2008, 04:46 AM
Thanks guys

Rooz
08-17-2008, 05:07 AM
ken rockwell sucks.

ha ha just kiddn rich. :p

rawpaw18
08-17-2008, 05:40 AM
thanks for the laugh

JTL
08-17-2008, 08:58 AM
And from me to you JTL... an olive branch from Downunder... no hard feelings mate. :)I hope you know that I wasn't really being mean to you (now, non-members, maybe;))...I was just having a bit of a hoot! Sorry if my joking around went a little far...:)

Though I can't (and won't) promise to behave myself in the future...:D

ColColt
08-17-2008, 10:13 AM
I've been on various forums over the years and have discovered everyone will definitely not agree on everything. When you get folks from TN to Bangkok commenting on anything, there will be differences, naturally. A particular dog forum I go to we have several from Singapore to Maryland and that's always interesting. I've seen some very heated debates and jabs to down right name calling. At least no one's called a Southerner a Hillbilly or Rebel or an Aussie a Wallaby molester yet.:D

JTL
08-17-2008, 10:43 AM
At least no one's called a Southerner a Hillbilly or Rebel or an Aussie a Wallaby molester yet.:DOMG! You mean that there might actually be some Aussie wallaby molesters on this site? I'm shocked! Why, if I had known that I would have....I would have...

...asked to take some pictures! :D:eek::D

K1W1
08-17-2008, 04:20 PM
If anybody starts with the sheep jokes war will erupt. :D:D

tim11
08-17-2008, 05:04 PM
The only Rockwell's review I read was the Nikkor 18-200VR vr 18-65VR review. Well..... I was desperate for some sort of reviews between the 2 lenses. I came across his comment that if you buy 18-65 you will miss out the zoom range again and again.. and then again in the final comment. What kind of reviewer keeps pointing out the most obvious fact? Does anyone need someone else to tell him/her that? That says volume about KR.

K1W1: I know a cool sheep joke. I will send it to everyone's private message. :D

JTL
08-17-2008, 07:31 PM
K1W1: I know a cool sheep joke. I will send it to everyone's private message. :DYou Aussies and your animals!

I know one too...a sheep and an Aussie walk into a hotel bar. The Aussie orders a couple of drinks...:D

truflip
08-20-2008, 08:24 PM
I used to read his Web site when I was starting out in Nikon, after a few articles, I felt like I just wasted valuable time reading his stuff. Mainly because he tends to contradict himself and likes to bash 3rd party. Anyway, he does have some good points..... occasionally. I havent read his comments about the D700 (pre-release) but hearing about it makes me laugh cause it's probably true (I haven't read his comments about this cam myself hence the "probably")

rawpaw18
08-20-2008, 08:52 PM
He has the user guide for the D700 ready, he is quick I will give him that.