PDA

View Full Version : Katz Eye

ColColt
08-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Has anyone ever tried one of these? It looks like my dream come true as I sorely miss my split image screen nearly all my old film camera's had. I had a split image installed in my 6x7's and it was much easier to focus. I'm, not sure if this is a simple pop in jobby or not like on the older Nikons.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Nikon-DSLRs--cat_nikon.html

Rooz
08-12-2008, 05:54 PM
pretty sure Don from over in the Sony DSLR forums has it installed.

K1W1
08-12-2008, 06:53 PM
I saw these a year or two ago and they started a nostalgia trip. :)
I'm not sure that the benefits would outweigh the costs and hassle of disassembling the camera to install it though these days I guess it probably depends on what type of photography you do.

gmtech79
08-12-2008, 08:01 PM
I put one in my D80 a long time ago and found the I much preferred the stock screen so I went back to it. I just couldn't get used to the prism. I can manually focus without it, even though you can get different coatings or what not for them there a just a bit darker than stock screens.
However they are a great company to deal with and replacing the screen in the D80 is really simple, they send instructions with the screen.
You might want to check out the nikonians pro shop as they usually stock some and you wouldn't have to wait two weeks or so for one to be made for you.

ColColt
08-13-2008, 04:10 AM
I'm just sort of tossing this around and the only drawback I read was a slight loss of light(especially for slow lens around f5.6). The screens for the Nikons(pre-digital) were a breeze to change but, I wasn't sure about how difficult it could be with the D80. I suppose it depends on your eyes and what you're use to. I loved the Leica M2 I had but it took lots of getting use to a rangefinder after being so use to SLR's. I'll have to chew on this awhile. It would be nice to see a side by side comparison of with and without the screen.

RichNY
08-17-2008, 11:29 PM
I installed the default screen with the OptiBrite coating on my D300 and it is great when using MF. I really like it when shooting my 105 f/2.5. I'm leaving for 2 weeks in Europe in the morning and don't know if I'll have Internet access so I might not be able to answer any followups until Sept.

ColColt
08-18-2008, 04:07 AM
The one drawback with split image from what I experienced years ago with the 200 f4 lens was one half or the other of the split image would go black under lower light. You had to reposition your eye to find the right spot. So, that sort of thing can happen with slower lens and the split image and could no doubt be a problem with the f3.5-5.6 zooms of today. The OptiBrite seems to solve that problem with this screen from what I read on their website.

ColColt
08-23-2008, 02:54 PM
I decided to order this screen with the plus and OptiBrite option and it came today. The problem is, no installation instructions or tool came with it and I can't find any link to a pdf file on their website as to how to do it...bummer. I could give it a shot without the instructions or supplied tool they say would be included but, I'm a bit hesitant...bummer.