PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on a new lens.

Kitt42
08-11-2008, 10:06 PM
I am looking to invest in an n to 50 or 70 mm lens. I have a niceish 70-200 mm that I love, but I only have the kit lens that came with the camera for closer shots. It is a Sigma 28-70 2.8-4 DG. I am often disappointed when shooting indoors so I am looking for something a step or two up. I want something pretty lightweight if possible. I canít afford the over $1000 price for the Nikon lenses, plus they are all pretty heavy. There are three I am looking at from Sigma:

28-70 f/2.8 EX DG
Is this really all that better then the one I have?

18-50 f/2.8 EX DC ASP HSM Macro
Seems to be the best??? I just wish it went up to 70mm

18-50 f2.8 EX DC Macro
This one is the lightest.

I will be shooting a lot indoors. I take pictures of moving targets (pets) often, but also do a lot of depth of field shots. I hand shoot and use a monopod. To sum it up, I need a general purpose lens that is good with indoor light.

Basically I am looking for the best glass at an f/2.8 thought the zoom, and I can spend about $600 out of pocket. I am looking to sell the kit lens I mentioned above along with a Sigma 70Ė300mm 4 - 5.6 DG that I also got with the camera, and put that money toward the new lens as well. I havenít looked into what they are even worth or if anyone would buy them at allÖ

Here are my questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience with the lenses that I mentioned? Would you recommend them?

2. Are any of these lenses going to perform better then the one I currently have? Will I be happy with anything within my price range?

3. Are there any alternatives you would recommend?

I have read the buyers guide and the reviews on this site, but I am getting a bit lost in alphabet soup when I actually go looking at lenses. I realize this is a lot to ask, but I appreciate any advice you all can spare.

Thanks!

Classic96
08-11-2008, 11:14 PM
I don't have the Sigma, but I use the Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 and love it. I bought one lightly used from Ebay for $900. The focal length is great for portraits, groups and even automotive.

Rooz
08-11-2008, 11:25 PM
sorry to burst your bubble but if you want sharp clean shots indoors with moving animals, (including kids), you need a flash, thats just teh way it is.

if you want something real fast go for a 50/1.4 or 35/2 prime. all 2.8 zoom lens' are gonna be heavy if its quality. tamron and sigma obviously make their short 2.8 zooms which are light and sharp but its not gonna be too much better than what you already have...if at all.

bottom line...you will need a flash.

Kitt42
08-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the advise! I already had a new flash on the list of stuff to purchase, but maybe I will move it to the top.

It is so nerve wrecking deciding what to buy. I hate to spend so much money on the wrong thing!

Camerajunkie
08-12-2008, 12:09 PM
A flash will never be the wrong thing. Unless you buy from an idiot eBay seller who refuses to talk to you when you ask for the refund that they guarantee. But he's a newbie idiot, so don't buy from a newbie idiot and you'll be fine. :)

rawpaw18
08-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Hey Jen, how do you really feel?

Camerajunkie
08-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Sorry. I didn't mean to totally jack the thread, lol.

Paypal got him to agree to a refund and once I sent it back, he emailed he stating he didn't want to give me a refund and would send me back the flash. I had to call Paypal who told me not to worry, he doesn't get to change his mind. "Newbie" is a really, really nice version of what I call him.

But a flash is still a good idea! I did still get another flash, lol.