PDA

View Full Version : Paying gig!

esp
08-07-2008, 07:12 PM
It looks like I might make a few extra bucks with a few of the pictures I have taken over the last few months. A local Dr's office is interested in buying five of my shots to decorate there office with. I was flattered and of course said yes but know I have to come up with a price by morning. That is where I need the help. Does any body have an idea of what I can get away with charging? I am handling the printing as well and I have no idea what the mark up should be. I am not "friends with these people so I want to make as much as possible but don't want to be out of line. Any suggestions?

P.S. Also, anybody have any good places to get them printed online? (I live in California)

Camerajunkie
08-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Congrats! I'd make sure you stipulate that they have to display your title of picture and name in the matting and framing of said prints too.

I know some people use WHCC to print. And my sister likes Millers Professional Imaging.

As for prices, I have no idea. A friend of mine wanted to paint a photo (use the photo as inspiration for her painting) and the photographer agreed as long as she paid him $250. But, I have NO idea what I'd price a photo for.

Beowulff
08-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Unfortunately, never having sold a pic in my life, I ain't gonna be of much help! Sorry :o

Anyway... I guess you can look at this in two ways. Firstly, primarily as self-promotion and/or advertising. Patients will possibly ask the receptionist about your pics moreso if you have your name on the mat as Camerajunkie's already suggested. It may therefore pay you to ask 'em if you can leave some of your business cards at their reception desk. With this scenario, I'd probably tend to keep the price down in the hope of drumming up some more paying jobs. Maybe just your costs plus 30% or something?

Second scenario, hit 'em for some fairly big bucks, and treat it as though it's a once-off job without any followup jobs from the surgery's patients. It also depends on whether or not you're selling the rights to your works as well. If you are, then the price goes up accordingly of course. If you retain the copyright, then they're cheaper as long as the doctors understand this.

Good luck - hope it works out well. :)

esp
08-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the advise. I sent over the estimate a few minutes ago and I ended up charging the printing + tax + $110 per print. From what I have been told I could have possibly charged more but considering I just made $440 for pictuers from my last vacation....not bad. $440 down $1200 to go for the d300.

fionndruinne
08-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Good price, I'd have suggested $100 + cost per print myself!

esp
08-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I just picked up the check this morning and had a nice surprise. The lady that cuts the check (A friend of a friend of a friend) gave me a heads up that the Dr's were expecting to pay a lot more than I had asked for. I quickly changed the invoice and added an extra $250. That made it $675 profit. This combined with a few bucks I have been saving means that the
D300 is being ordered next week!

TheWengler
08-12-2008, 11:36 AM
What size were the prints?

Camerajunkie
08-12-2008, 11:56 AM
See? I told ya $250 a print. Then you could have gotten me something nice too. ;)

esp
08-12-2008, 12:30 PM
There are 2 prints that are 36 x 24, 1 that is 12 x 29 and 1 picture that I split into three seperate ones to be framed individually and hung next to each other. Each panel is 15 x 30. I ended up using a local printer (and paying a premium for it) The printing will cost me around $300.

esp
08-12-2008, 12:31 PM
See? I told ya $250 a print. Then you could have gotten me something nice too. ;)

You were right. I should have charged more. But, they did mention that they are interested in buying a few more in a month or two. Next time I will raise the price a bit.

Camerajunkie
08-12-2008, 01:06 PM
I just sent an email to a friend who wants me to do pictures for him. He's editing a book he'd written and wants a new cover. He actually wants a picture for the front cover and one for the back cover. I hope I didn't overcharge, lol.

I quoted him a price for the shoot. And then for a cd of images to use on his website for advertising and then a price per picture if he picks one of my pictures (or two!) for the book covers. With any luck I'll be able to get a D300 soon too. :) Though it will take more than just him as a costumer.....

Rooz
08-12-2008, 02:41 PM
congrats esp. what pics did they order ?

TheWengler
08-12-2008, 03:01 PM
There are 2 prints that are 36 x 24, 1 that is 12 x 29 and 1 picture that I split into three seperate ones to be framed individually and hung next to each other. Each panel is 15 x 30. I ended up using a local printer (and paying a premium for it) The printing will cost me around $300.

Let me know how those prints come out. With those print sizes the ppi is below 150 right? I've been trying to figure out what the max print size I can squeeze out of my 6 mp camera is.

I was curious about that as well.

esp
08-12-2008, 04:07 PM
I gave her around 50 pictures to choose from and she chose some of my least favorite pictures. These are not the final images that are being printed but here are the four she chose.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3110/2755567517_e22f0d08fa_b.jpg
I blew this up and removed most of the noise in the rocks with photoshop.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3077/2757420333_b1a8eeba0b_b.jpg
This one is being printed and framed as three seperate pictuers and hung next to each other.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3122/2559358023_3a63d9a8bc_b.jpg
I raised the exposure a tad and sharpened it to be printed.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2305/2245415848_4750abeda3.jpg
This was one of the first pictuers I ever took with the d40x. I didnt originally offer this one to them but they noticed it on my flickr site and wanted it. This image was not fit to blow up so I took the original and made a very subtle hdr from the single raw file. I then manually got ride of all of the distorted colors towards the top of the picture by hand in photoshop.

Over all they are not by best pictures but so far they are my most profitable!;)

Rooz
08-12-2008, 04:21 PM
nice stuff. the window one is especilly beautiful. well done mate.

esp
08-12-2008, 04:51 PM
nice stuff. the window one is especilly beautiful. well done mate.

Thanks. I have to correct my previous statement. Originally these were not my favorite pictures. Once they went from simple vacation pictures to 1/3 of the money needed for a new camera they became my favorite pictures.

rawpaw18
08-12-2008, 08:40 PM
I have noticed that shots I like are often not others' favorites. If they make money i would certainly move them to my favorite stack as well. I have always thought your
tri shot was great!

XaiLo
08-15-2008, 03:46 PM
esp, in the future you could always asked what is being budgeted for a project... go to a local gallery or two and check out their pricing. Art is subjective and if someone enjoys your work enough, don't sell yourself short. These are doctors and they are exposed to a different culture than most. High priced art will not shock them! Sometimes it best to consider the market, most art for sale is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. I'm very happy for you congrats and enjoy yor new camera.