PDA

View Full Version : I wonder...

ColColt
08-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Have you ever had nothing to do on a Sunday afternoon and let your mind wonder over what some would think to be asinine questions? That happened today and I got curious about if the constant use of primes would weaken the motor in a camera such as the D80. Or perhaps, how many times will a SD card last after X amount of times of being used, uploaded, erased and used again and again. I guess with just my dog to be concerned about, I need a life!:D

swpars
08-03-2008, 12:51 PM
The AF motor may burn out someday from constant use of primes, but I bet the shutter will fail before then (50,000 plus exposures). :)

SD cards have an insert/remove cycle of thousands of times. I wouldn't worry.

K1W1
08-03-2008, 04:29 PM
And is my EN-EL3e going to wear out and stop holding charge before the pixels on my CCD start to fail?

ColColt
08-03-2008, 05:43 PM
And is my EN-EL3e going to wear out and stop holding charge before the pixels on my CCD start to fail?

Good question and something to ponder. Let me know when you find out. Perhaps an accelerated test would yield surprising results for you.

K1W1
08-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Perhaps an accelerated test would yield surprising results for you.

Exactly what methodology do you recommend?
I'm now wondering that if I try such a test using the manual method (finger operated shutter release) will I get RSI or some form of finger related injury prior to either the battery or CCD failing.
This wondering stuff is awfully complicated I think I will just go back to doing what i'm being paid to do and stop thinking. :D:D

ColColt
08-04-2008, 03:46 AM
Exactly what methodology do you recommend?
I'm now wondering that if I try such a test using the manual method (finger operated shutter release) will I get RSI or some form of finger related injury prior to either the battery or CCD failing.
This wondering stuff is awfully complicated I think I will just go back to doing what i'm being paid to do and stop thinking. :D:D

Perchance leave the camera on continuously and devise a somewhat simple motor (AC powered of course with small transformer) to operate the shutter every, say ten seconds, and check the voltage level every couple of hours with an oscilloscope to see the downward spiral of the potential contained within the battery itself. Don't forget to set it to DC voltage. Just a suggestion.:D

Visual Reality
08-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Now that is no way to isolate variables...now the shutter becomes a possible failure item. Are you testing the durability of the CCD or the shutter?

Just get the $22 remote off Amazon, set it to Bulb mode and lock the shutter open.

Just a warning though...the inside of the camera gets pretty hot doing this. The heat even comes through the body. I don't think its a problem since this is how you do Astro-Photography, and I'm sure Nikon engineered for it, but don't be surprised at the warmth when you pick the camera up.

K1W1
08-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Just a warning though...the inside of the camera gets pretty hot doing this. The heat even comes through the body.

But the heat is going to prematurely kill the battery which means that the test results will not be valid.
Somebody needs to put some thought into this. :D

Visual Reality
08-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Now are we testing a batterys life cycle with or without the effects of heat? To remove that completely is impossible.