PDA

View Full Version : My favourite vacation pics

Prospero
08-01-2008, 06:51 AM
Hello everyone,

In this thread I will post my favourite pictures that I took on my vacation to Portugal. Together with ten of my friends, we had rented a house in Portugal for one week. Since this country is quite a long drive from the Netherlands, we had decided to travel in many small steps, stopping at a lot of interesting places on the way.
The first stop was Cognac in France. We arrived quite late, so we didn't have time to visit the city. After that, we visited Pamplona, where we watched the famous San Fermin festival, the event where the bulls are running through the street (I'll post pictures of that later).

After this, we visited Bilbao. This is quite a beautiful city, with lots of modern architecture and the famous Guggenheim museum. Here are some shots of this building:

#1:

#2:

After visiting Bilbao we went to a town called San Vincente de la Barbaquera on the Atlantic coast of Spain. The setting of this town is quite beautiful; on clear days, you have a very nice view on the mountains of Picos de Europa, one of the highest mountain range Spain.
Here I took some shot during the sunset:

#3:

#4:

#5:

After that, we drove through the mountains of Picos de Europa to Santiago de Compostella, a famous pilgrim town where the bones of the apostle James have been buried. Here's a picture of the mountains we drove through:

#6:

Then, we drove to the house we rented in Portugal. The house was in the town of Ponte de Lima, in the province Minho (Northern Portugal). The region is quite beautiful. We visited the town Braga, the monument Bom Jesus do Mondo, the city of Porto and the National park of Peneda-Geres.
Here is a picture of Porto and the Bom Jesus do Monde monument:

#7:

#8:

On the way back home, we drove along the ghost town of Tiermas. I have taken some pictures there two years ago (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=163789). We went to the town just before sunset. While the sun was setting, a thunderstorm was coming, which made the sunset look spectacular.

#9:

#10:

Prospero
08-01-2008, 06:59 AM
Another picture of Tiermas:

#12:

After that, we drove along Cognac again. This time we did have enough time to visit the city and taste plenty of its famous drink :)

The next day, we drove to Normandy, where we visited Mont Saint Michel. At the end of the day I took some pictures of the sunset on the coast of Normandy:

#13:

#15:

#16:

#17:

That's it for now, I will post some more in the picture of the day thread. I hope you enjoyed the pictures. C&C is always welcome.
Thanks for watching,

Cheers,
Dennis

Dread Pirate Roberts
08-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Awesome pics as always Prospero, no 4 & 10 really attract my eye.
Looks like you had fun and must have a heap of images to sort through and process now:)

Prospero
08-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Awesome pics as always Prospero, no 4 & 10 really attract my eye.
Looks like you had fun and must have a heap of images to sort through and process now:)

Thanks, DPR.
I am done sorting and processing the pictures already. It took me about a week. I decided not to post anything here until I had processed the whole bunch, so that I would be done with it as soon as possible :)

accord2003
08-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Prospero

I really like #3 and and 12. Actually they are all awesome!!

ColColt
08-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Absolutely superb photos!! Oh, that I could have had a digital when I was stationed in Deutchland!! That was a photographer's paradise but of course, computers weren't even in existence then.

JTL
08-01-2008, 08:57 AM
#10 is the shot for me. Stunning...

But most all a extremely good...

Turo
08-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Excellent images! To me they all look great, but #10 and #12 are absolutely stunning! HDR on at least #10, right?

herc182
08-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Prospero, you took some stunning shots.

Will start with what i didnt like (not much!):

#3 looks oversharpened. The water is very confusing
#7 is not horizontal (which is a very small point but i noticed it straight off)

Thats it.

The ones I like were there rest! In particular you took some that you could sell. Please print some of those off and hang them on the wall:

#4 composition and exposure is excellent
#9 and 10 are stunning. Composition, colour and time of day the shot was taken is bang on.
#11, 12 and 15 are also fantastic.

Well done. Stunning shoot

Prospero
08-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks a lot for the comments everyone. I really appreciate it. I'm glad you like the images.

#10 is indeed an HDR, I got it by blending three exposures, taken two f-stops appart using the tone-compression of Photomatix. After that, I enhanced it with Capture NX2 using localized adjustments (curves, saturation, and control points).
The other pictures are not HDRs, but conversions from a single rawfile. In quite a lot of them I used Capture NX2 to recover shadow detail.

Phil, thanks for the comments, I hadn't noticed the tilt in 7. I will fix it before printing. In the 3rd I enhanced the contrast of the water a bit, but I guess I overdid it, making it distracting.

Camerajunkie
08-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Dennis,

You are a photo genius. I've always liked your pictures. And I am so very jealous that you were in Spain. I want to go to Spain. Even more now, lol.

TheWengler
08-01-2008, 10:55 AM
All very nice Prospero! My favorite is easily #4.

toriaj
08-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Great shots here, Dennis. I looked at #10 for a long time, there's a lot to see in that picture! Looks like there are some stone ruins in the lower left, is that right? Did you get any shots with more stone and less wood in the shot?

FLiPMaRC
08-01-2008, 11:52 AM
:cool: Great shots! Thanks for sharing.

rawpaw18
08-01-2008, 03:22 PM
You are way to young to always have these great vacations, ok maybe a little jealsous here. Dennis you always do a great job at conveying your trips. These stood out as my favorites.

#4 is amazing, I would sware it was wider than 18mm
#5 has that wish you were here postcard feel to it, very nice
#10 great idea with this composition
#17 how can I not mention this ones compostition and sky

e_dawg
08-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Wow, nice pics Prospero! I took 700-some odd shots last week in Europe; few have anywhere close to the emotional impact as yours.

... then again, I was in full snapshot mode with my gf and her family ;)

scupking
08-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Wow is all I have to say, I love them all. I wish I could take pics like that.

Rooz
08-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Wow is all I have to say, I love them all.

x2...thats pretty much exactly what i said when i saw them.

love the shapes in #2
great contrast in #4
9/10/11 are just freakishly great landscapes.
composition of #13 is brilliant.

fantastic set as always Dennis

Prospero
08-02-2008, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

CJ, Spain is indeed an amazing country. There's so much to see there. I would really like to see the southern part of the country one day, but it's too far away at this time.

Tori, there are some stone ruins on the right. I didn't get any shots of these, though. I took that picture from the second floor of an abandoned building and I couldn't get close enough to the edge of the building to get a shot with more of the ruins in the shot. I did take another picture one floor higher (the top floor of the building), that has a slightly different view on the ruins:

This was the house that I took the pictures from. It was the largest house of the village that was still standing.

E-dawg, have you posted any pictures of your vacation yet?
About being in full snap-shot mode, I had the same thing when I was on holiday with my family. However, this time I had the advantage that most of my friends have an interest in photography, so I got more time to take pictures.
When shooting the sunset in Normandy and in San Vincente, I even had assistents :D. Makes switching lenses a lot easier and in the picture with the flying gulls, my friends were a great help in making them fly :)

Gintaras
08-02-2008, 06:19 AM
Prospero, all i can say can be put in a single word AMAZING. love all of them.

e_dawg
08-02-2008, 06:52 AM
E-dawg, have you posted any pictures of your vacation yet?
About being in full snap-shot mode, I had the same thing when I was on holiday with my family. However, this time I had the advantage that most of my friends have an interest in photography, so I got more time to take pictures.
When shooting the sunset in Normandy and in San Vincente, I even had assistents :D. Makes switching lenses a lot easier and in the picture with the flying gulls, my friends were a great help in making them fly :)

That's awesome. Maybe one of these days I can take a photography trip with friends, but it doesn't seem likely the way things are progressing with my gf (i.e., my single life may be coming to an end*).

Unfortunately, I won't be posting images for a while yet. I am a month behind on my processing, first of all, and secondly, all my vacation pics were taken with my Olympus gear ;) I guess it's not as bad as posting a couple dozen Rebel XTi pics on here, but nevertheless... :D

* -- and if people were wondering why I was amassing all that camera equipment, now you know why ;) ... which reminds me, when is that darn D90 coming out? I need to update my Nikon bodies before d-day, LOL...

Prospero
08-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks Gintares, glad you like the shots.
E-dawg, why don't you just get the D700 while you still can :D. No need to wait for that D90. I would love to see the images you get with a D700 and 85 f/1.4 :)

Idnas71
08-07-2008, 03:41 PM
I enjoyed them all, but #13 really caught my eye. Guess because I like architecture. Was wondering if you were using a super wide angle lens for that one? I've been to Mont St. Michel but I don't remember such a great perspective as that.

Prospero
08-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks Idnas. I'm glad you like the pictures.

#13 was my favourite picture that I had taken at Mont Saint Michel. It was the only picture that didn't look like the standard pictures you see of this place.
It was indeed taken with an ultra wide angle lens, the Sigma 10-20 at 10mm. It was taken from the galleries next to the monastery church.