PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrrr!!!

ColColt
07-31-2008, 04:44 PM
I have a lens I'm trying out but it came with a pedal hood put on backwards and I can't get the %&**@# thing off!! Anyone have one of these that can give a solution?

K1W1
07-31-2008, 05:12 PM
What is the lens?

ColColt
07-31-2008, 05:32 PM
It's the 18-70 f3.5-4.5 DX.

Camerajunkie
07-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Um, my one lens with a lens hood needs the lens hood turned to get it off.

With yours, I have no idea.

ColColt
07-31-2008, 08:42 PM
I don't know why the hell any idiot would put a lens hood on backwards. I've fooled with it for two hours and am over it.:mad:

TheWengler
07-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Usually the hoods go on both ways. That way you can put it on backwards for storage in your bag.

Turo
07-31-2008, 09:10 PM
I put the one on my 70-300 on backwards when I store it in my bag so it fits. It goes on and comes off just as easily as normal. Maybe it came with the wrong hood?

AlexMonro
08-01-2008, 04:56 AM
I have that lens on my Fuji S3 Pro, and I usually store the hood backwards on the lens, it takes less space like that.

To remove the hood, I twist it firmly anticlockwise looking from the front, 1/4 turn. It then slips off. You need to overcome the stiffness of the plastic clips.

It's actually slightly easier removing than replacing the hood, since it can be a bit fiddly locating it right before twisting.

JTL
08-01-2008, 07:34 AM
I don't know why the hell any idiot would put a lens hood on backwards. I've fooled with it for two hours and am over it.:mad:Wow...I'm sorry for being an idiot! Gabba Gabba, Hey! :D:D:D

You are turning it counter clockwise to try to remove it, I hope...whoops, I just saw Alex already said that...but...I am a backwards lens cap idiot, so please forgive me! :D:D:D

ColColt
08-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Wow...I'm sorry for being an idiot! Gabba Gabba, Hey! :D:D:D

You are turning it counter clockwise to try to remove it, I hope...whoops, I just saw Alex already said that...but...I am a backwards lens cap idiot, so please forgive me! :D:D:D

I finally got it off. I gave up on it but I couldn't get it off my mind after going to bed so, got up, gave it a good twist (cc of course) and if finally came off. I was a bit afraid of damaging the lens as it wasn't coming off as easily as I thought it should. It definitely goes back on the right way much easier than when on backwards. I wasn't twisting as hard as I should perhaps. I've never had a lens with a petal hood and never saw one mounted that way. At 62, I guess you can still learn!!:)

This lens is far and away much better optically than the 18-55 VR that was my kit lens for the D80...way better. I thought I'd give it a shot to see how it compared with the particular example of kit lens I have and there's no comparison.

BTW-JTL, totally forgiven.:D