PDA

View Full Version : Look at The Pretty Baby!!!

JTL
07-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Isn't she beautiful?

http://JTL.smugmug.com/photos/342718464_8XF7X-L.jpg

I'm treating her to a Yankees game tonight. We'll see how she likes it...

Visual Reality
07-31-2008, 03:58 PM
What lens will you be using to overcome the angle of view setback with the full frame sensor?

JTL
07-31-2008, 04:01 PM
What lens will you be using to overcome the angle of view setback with the full frame sensor?What setback? As far I'm concerned APS-C is an abomination...

I'd love to chat, but gotta go!

Rooz
07-31-2008, 04:01 PM
you bastard. i'm so jealous. :( the primes about to come out are really gonna sing on that sucker. looking forward to your results.

Visual Reality
07-31-2008, 04:07 PM
What setback? As far I'm concerned APS-C is an abomination...

I'd love to chat, but gotta go!

Baseball games require lots of reach, so...full-frame gives you wider shots. Simple...just wondering what lens you were using to reach the action.

tim11
07-31-2008, 04:34 PM
JTL goes Nikon? :eek: I thought you were joking.
Are you phasing out the Canon gears?

hmmmm............... one of these days Coldy will join the dark side too.

Rooz
07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
you can crop back further on FX without losing quality though. its also got a less restricted FOV to make in-focus areas at range a little easier to achieve. so while its easy to think that a 300mm all of a sudden becomes a 200mm, its not quite simple as that. certianly for me i couldnt do without DX for the extra reach i get SOOC but really, its not as significant as the numbers would first indicate.

Nickcanada
07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
you bastard. i'm so jealous. :( the primes about to come out are really gonna sing on that sucker. looking forward to your results.

Primes? what primes?

Rooz
07-31-2008, 04:41 PM
they have already released a number of TS specialty lens' and the a new macro. there is also updates on the way for the 85/1.4 and 50/1.4. (af-s). rumours abound that a significant lens lineup reshake in the next 18months. i dont think optically there will be much difference, there doesnt need to be, its more about af-s for AF speed and accuracy.

imo thats in preperation of the new gen nikon consumer and prosumer bodies losing their in-body AF motor.

ColColt
07-31-2008, 04:46 PM
What a beauty!! Some of us would have to take out a loan for that baby, though. Enjoy your toy!!:)

K1W1
07-31-2008, 05:16 PM
so while its easy to think that a 300mm all of a sudden becomes a 200mm,

What were you like at maths at school? :)

A 300mm stays a 300mm. It's just that it doesn't "act" as a 450mm anymore.

K1W1
07-31-2008, 05:18 PM
Isn't she beautiful?

I would have thought that you would have gone for the silver version. :D:D:D

Nickcanada
07-31-2008, 05:31 PM
they have already released a number of TS specialty lens' and the a new macro. there is also updates on the way for the 85/1.4 and 50/1.4. (af-s). rumours abound that a significant lens lineup reshake in the next 18months. i dont think optically there will be much difference, there doesnt need to be, its more about af-s for AF speed and accuracy.

imo thats in preperation of the new gen nikon consumer and prosumer bodies losing their in-body AF motor.

Cool, :D:cool:

I hope Canon comes up with something good. Gotta love the competition.

GaryS
07-31-2008, 06:13 PM
AWESOME!!!! Can't wait to see the shots JTL....

Camerajunkie
07-31-2008, 08:24 PM
While the D700 looks marvelous, and will probably be cheaper in the long run than my babies, I'm interested in the D90. Any ideas where I can find info on that?

swpars
07-31-2008, 09:17 PM
It's my semi-educated guess that Photokina = D90 with a 12.2 mp CMOS sensor as in D300, 5 fps with/without grip, 11-point AF as in D80/200, and live view for about $1000 MSRP for the body.

JTL
07-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Baseball games require lots of reach, so...full-frame gives you wider shots. Simple...just wondering what lens you were using to reach the action.Hi...sorry I couldn't chat before...had one foot out the door and only had time for one wise-ass remark! :D I'm test shooting a Tamron 28-300 VC on the D700. For the first 6 innings of the game, my shots looked like total $hit. I was struggling a little with the camera and getting too far ahead of myself playing with the custom settings. I reset everything to default and started over...and voilą! Some totally acceptable shots (as far as I can tell via the LCD)...although I have a lot more learning and a lot more testing to do. Nothing downloaded yet...simply no time and other projects to complete first.

First impressions, the camera: Not as big as I feared, nice balanced feel, every feature anyone could possible want, most accessible directly via a button. Brilliant. The menus are AMAZING. Very readable. Very navigable. The viewfinder is great...people who bitch that the coverage is only 95% need to seriously get a life. And, best of all for me (although I know not everyone feels this way...and for very good reason) my focal lengths are my focal lengths. Call me old fashioned, but I never, ever, ever really liked any cropped camera. Everything about the camera appears to make sense...I love smartness and a lot of smart went into the design. Although, dare I say, sacrilege of sacrilege...I don't like the grip at all. I find it only marginally better than my XT grip. But, I put up with the crappy XT grip for years, can I certainly can put up with a crappy grip on a 10x better camera! Oh, and the mirror slap is f'ing LOUD! Much louder than any camera I've ever shot...it made me jump the first time! Haven't gotten any pictures off the CF card yet, so no impressions about IQ. Maybe I'll get to it tomorrow evening. I promise I'll post shots sometime over this weekend...

First impressions, the Tamron 28-300 VC: It appears to be a perfectly serviceable utility lens, although I'll know better once I do a few controlled shots and some walk-around shooting. I have a 24-85 AFS G lens laying around, I'll try that sometime over the weekend as well.

And don't get me started about CLS. It's a revelation. Can't wait to really crank with it (although I know some of this is old hat to some of you folk).

I wish I had more to tell, but that's it for now. Like always, I will give you more unvarnished opinions once I'm qualified to give them...:)

you bastard. i'm so jealous. :( the primes about to come out are really gonna sing on that sucker. looking forward to your results.At least you're only jealous of my camera. I'm seriously jealous of your skills! ;)
I would have thought that you would have gone for the silver version. :D:D:DI've already filed an official complaint directly with Michio Kariya regarding the fact the silver was not an option...but...there's always spray paint!
AWESOME!!!! Can't wait to see the shots JTL....I can't wait either...but it will be another 24 to 48 hours or so...
JTL goes Nikon? :eek: I thought you were joking. Are you phasing out the Canon gears?Joking? When have I ever made a joke? :D Yes, I am selling off the Canon gear (some already sold). And while it's image quality and high ISO performance on my XT was good, at times I truly hated it...that certainly was no secret.
What a beauty!! Some of us would have to take out a loan for that baby, though. Enjoy your toy!!:)Thank you. It's a toy for now, but it will be put to work soon enough...

drama
07-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Congrats on going full frame JTL :)

JTL
07-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Congrats on going full frame JTL :)Thanks! Are you loving your 5D?

craigyc
08-01-2008, 02:31 AM
Cant wait to see the images out of that baby!

Visual Reality
08-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Odd to hear about the mirror slap. It's really loud on my D80 too, but the D300 I tried was really quiet surprisingly. About 1/3 as loud as the D80...maybe the D700 is like the D3?

ColColt
08-01-2008, 05:29 PM
The D80 I have sounds pretty much like an old Nikon I still have. Talk about loud-you ought to hear a Pentax 6x7 at 1/30th second. It sounds like a guillotine! Since I have tinnitus, most noises don't bother me.

JTL
08-01-2008, 07:39 PM
O.K....some really crappy test shots with the D700 and the AF-S 24-85 G. These were all shot jpeg. I had it the custom picture setting set to "vivid"...I know, I know...I'm just playing around...cut me some slack! :D I also had Active D-Lighting on. Clearly I'm in play-pen mode!

I still don't know what I'm doing yet...I estimate about 3 more days before I start to get comfortable shooting with it...

One thing's for sure...the resolution on this camera it outstanding...the first one is so 3D, I feel like I could just step into the frame...I never got an out-of-camera shot this good out of my XT...so I'm pretty pleased...

Some were cropped.

http://JTL.smugmug.com/photos/343365330_3gKz9-L.jpg

http://JTL.smugmug.com/photos/343368945_SFrt6-L.jpg

http://JTL.smugmug.com/photos/343366200_VTTog-L.jpg

http://JTL.smugmug.com/photos/343366598_eHXf3-L.jpg

http://JTL.smugmug.com/photos/343367048_PfMkS-L.jpg

Camerajunkie
08-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Day-um. Those are sharp.

swpars
08-01-2008, 08:40 PM
The shadow detail with Active D-lighting is just awesome - especially in the first shot.

Rooz
08-01-2008, 09:12 PM
O.K....some really crappy test shots with the D700 and the AF-S 24-85 G. These were all shot jpeg. I had it the custom picture setting set to "vivid"...I know, I know...I'm just playing around...cut me some slack! :D I also had Active D-Lighting on. Clearly I'm in play-pen mode!

http://JTL.smugmug.com/photos/343366200_VTTog-L.jpg

if you look at that flower centre, this is really what chris was discussing about the clouds. its that film like smoothness and transition of colour tones that FX is so good at. and thats with a pretty crap lens aswell.

JTL
08-01-2008, 10:17 PM
if you look at that flower centre, this is really what chris was discussing about the clouds. its that film like smoothness and transition of colour tones that FX is so good at. and thats with a pretty crap lens aswell.

Truth is, even with my 24-105 L, I never really got that kind of combination of smoothness and clarity before. Once I really get the feel of the camera, and some pro glass, I'm thinking that there is no boundary to the creative possibilities...

Also, I'm beginning to imagine what you suggested...having a D300 with a tele zoom on one shoulder and a D700 with a wide to mid range zoom on the other. I think that's what Nikon had in mind...and if I were more of a true/pure photographer...that would be my setup for sure...

But, I found one more thing to complain about...I already have a blister on my index finger from the on/off switch!

Turo
08-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Wow. Just wow. I want one. Wow.

We need a "drooling" smiley.

Prospero
08-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Nice shots.
The colour and clarity of the first are amazing.
Congrats on your new camera.

Gintaras
08-02-2008, 06:51 AM

100 % agree with Rooz :mad::p

JTL
08-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Nice shots.
The colour and clarity of the first are amazing.
Congrats on your new camera.Thank you! People knock that lens, but my copy is fine...but at this point I'm convinced that I could put a coke bottle in front of the D700 and the shots will look great...wait...that gives me an idea...:D

Prospero
08-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Thank you! People knock that lens, but my copy is fine...but at this point I'm convinced that I could put a coke bottle in front of the D700 and the shots will look great...wait...that gives me an idea...:D

You can also drill a hole in the body cap, it will turn the camera in a nice pinhole camera :D

fionndruinne
08-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Woo hoo... can I get away with spitting on that 'L' part of the lens you mentioned a bit ago, just out of sheer Nikonian passion?

Those shots are pretty amazing for what they are, and this is definitely an amazing camera. I only bash Canon because I know I can get away with it!

JTL
08-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Woo hoo... can I get away with spitting on that 'L' part of the lens you mentioned a bit ago, just out of sheer Nikonian passion?

I only bash Canon because I know I can get away with it!Firstly, spitting...figuratively or otherwise...is not polite. Secondly, if you had shot with the Canon 24-105 L for a year, then maybe, and only maybe, you'd be worthy to even think about commenting about it, negatively or otherwise. Thirdly, you aren't getting away with anything...you sound like an ass. And lastly, don't use my thread for bashing...you want to act like an ignorant idiot, start your own thread.

Yours is the only post in this thread that is actually negative in tone. I'm not amused in the least.

...this is definitely an amazing camera.The only words in your post that remotely have any merit...but you don't really know, do you? Have you shot one? Didn't think so...

JTL
08-03-2008, 10:43 PM
O.K....more "snapsohts"...this time with the D700 and the Tamron 28-300 VC. Even with this el-cheapo lens, the camera did great. If it were a choice between saving any of you or saving my camera...well, all I can say is...start praying! :D

Shot into the sun! Wow! This camera rocks...how's that for a review? :D

http://JTL.smugmug.com/photos/344693526_k4w6r-L.jpg

Hey, look ma! I'm an artist!

http://JTL.smugmug.com/photos/344694202_QifbD-L.jpg

Even with a lens that is notoriously soft at 300mm, 28mm and in the corners...especially on a full frame camera, the D700 has so much clean resolving power that it overcomes the lenses relative crappiness to some degree and actually makes it look pretty good...as these next few shots aptly demonstrate. Now i'm actually afraid to get a 24-70 f/2.8 because if I see the results from it with the D700, I might die! :D

http://JTL.smugmug.com/photos/344695581_GyY9K-L.jpg

http://JTL.smugmug.com/photos/344696724_bNc4e-L.jpg

http://JTL.smugmug.com/photos/344698143_WEtEz-L.jpg

These pictures tell me infinitely more than any bench test ever could. I can walk around and just snap and get great results with the D700, even in challenging lighting conditions with a consumer grade zoom lens...I barely have to think about it...so when I really start shooting I am confident there'll be little or no barriers. Needless to say, the camera is a keeper. The Tamron passes the snapshot test so it stays as well...even though it does kind of weirdly mush-up (that's a technical term) the image a little.

Wait...one more thing to complain about! This thing is a battery PIG!!! Not real happy about that either. But, for this kind of image quality and shooting flexibility, I'd turn a crank to power it if I had to. :D

fionndruinne
08-03-2008, 11:33 PM
You totally missed the non-seriousness of that post, dude. The only semi-serious part of it was scoffing at the idea that L makes a piece of photographic equipment "the best"; i.e. the Nikon can definitely compete (in the full-frame world, at last).

*sends some lighten-up powder your way*

JTL
08-03-2008, 11:47 PM
The only semi-serious part of it was scoffing at the idea that L makes a piece of photographic equipment "the best"I'm sorry, I still don't get it. Oh, that's because there's nothing to get! And, please keep the "lighten up powder" and trade it in for some "maybe some day I'll say something clever powder" for yourself...:p:eek::p

Now, please, leave my thread alone...

fionndruinne
08-04-2008, 12:11 AM
It's a public thread, my friend.

Interesting to see how a bit of childishness brings out the child in others. 'Course, we all know you're a grouch, JTL.

Rooz
08-04-2008, 02:35 AM
Wait...one more thing to complain about! This thing is a battery PIG!!! Not real happy about that either. But, for this kind of image quality and shooting flexibility, I'd turn a crank to power it if I had to. :D

i suspect thats for a couple of reasons. you;r'e reviewing and using the LCD alot, (normal for a new cam), and possibly the VC is taking alot of battery power the same way that VR does.

i can shoot a whole day, say 4-5hrs total shooting and 400 odd images, comfortabley with one battery and still have stuff remaining. thats using primes aswell, not af-s.

on the pictures note. how do you always get such great colour, sharpness and contrast ? :confused: i noticed that in your S2 images aswell. is there a PP trick you;re using ? are you shooting jpeg ? what mode are you using ?

JTL
08-04-2008, 06:20 AM
on the pictures note. how do you always get such great colour, sharpness and contrast ? :confused: i noticed that in your S2 images aswell. is there a PP trick you;re using ? are you shooting jpeg ? what mode are you using ?No PP except some cropping. My "tricks": I always underexpose...sometimes up to a stop; when shooting jpeg (as the D700 and S2 shots were) I always crank the in-camera sharpness and contrast settings...the D700 shots were shot "vivid" with the sharpness cranked to the top and saved as a custom setting. Also, most of the D700 shots are with Active D-Lighting set to "High" (overriding the brightness and contrast settings)...if you haven't tried it you should play around with it. Also, all of the shots in all three sets were shot at in the late afternoon/early evening. You'll notice that the most saturated shots are the one that have the sun either directly behind me or over one shoulder. Plus the S2 and the D700 have something in common. The focus is dead-on. And, most importantly, on the new lenses, my lens elements aren't yet covered in a thin coating of slime so as to ruin my contrast!

Modes...the S2 was always shot manual...the only way to get those kind of results. The D700 shots I've posted, mostly manual. Haven't settled on a "standard" EV compensation setting yet so that I can get the exposure results I like when shooting aperture priority and/or shutter priority.

Notice that a lot of my XT pics never seemed as sharp and punchy? I think it is because my XT was always a little, shall we say, "focus-challenged"...even after sending it and the the 24-105 in for calibration...

I'll get serious in the the week or so and start shooting NEF (I'm very interested in "lossless compressed") and see how that goes..but for now, I'm enjoying the feeling of not having to adjust anything in PP...

JTL
08-04-2008, 06:23 AM
It's a public thread, my friend.

Interesting to see how a bit of childishness brings out the child in others. 'Course, we all know you're a grouch, JTL.Still haven't gotten that powder yet, I see...

24Peter
08-04-2008, 11:23 AM
JTL - great photos! I'm still holding my breath for a revamped/affordable 5D MKII, but will be going full frame either way within the next six months or so... Congrats!

JTL
08-04-2008, 11:33 AM
JTL - great photos! I'm still holding my breath for a revamped/affordable 5D MKII, but will be going full frame either way within the next six months or so... Congrats!Thanks, Peter. It's weird...going full frame...it's as if my whole 35mm photographic perspective has been in chaos since I went DSLR and now I'm finally back to a comfortable place. It will be interesting to see what Canon comes up with...but I have zero regrets about my move and expect to have zero regrets after the Canon announcement...

Rooz
08-04-2008, 04:21 PM
the only thing i think the 6d will have is more MP. maybe 16mp say. but unforutantely that would not be enuf to sway me. if canon want my dollars it will need to be s5 type DN. otherwise i have no need for the MP's.

JTL
08-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Well...time for me to get on Phase One's case. The latest version of Capture One (v4.1.1.x) does not open compressed NEF files from the D700. The profile for the D3 doesn't work because apparently there is different tagging in the D700 NEF file (thanks Nikon! A ploy to sell more copies of NX2, maybe?). This annoys me slightly...but, whaddayagonnado...

It seems I'm forced to really learn NX2...that's not a bad thing I guess...;)

D Thompson
08-04-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm still holding my breath for a revamped/affordable 5D MKII, but will be going full frame either way within the next six months or so... Congrats!

Well...time for me to get on Phase One's case. The latest version of Capture One (v4.1.1.x) does not open compressed NEF files from the D700. The profile for the D3 doesn't work because apparently there is different tagging in the D700 NEF file (thanks Nikon! A ploy to sell more copies of NX2, maybe?). This annoys me slightly...but, whaddayagonnado...

It seems I'm forced to really learn NX2...that's not a bad thing I guess...;)

JTL - very nice indeed. Congrats. I'm like Pete, waiting for the 5D replacement, altho still love my 20D. ;)

Does Phase One offer the updates like Adobe Camera Raw? They'll usually come out with one that adds cameras since the last update. Altho, they don't offer the updates for CS2 and back.

Enjoy!

JTL
08-04-2008, 10:30 PM
JTL - very nice indeed. Congrats. I'm like Pete, waiting for the 5D replacement, altho still love my 20D. ;)

Does Phase One offer the updates like Adobe Camera Raw? They'll usually come out with one that adds cameras since the last update. Altho, they don't offer the updates for CS2 and back.

Enjoy!Thank you Dennis!

Well, I just heard from Phase One...not a particularly good answer. I just wish that they had been more proactive, but maybe Nikon doesn't cooperate with them. Still, more than two months is really a long time to wait when people have work to do.

Their answer:

I am sorry but at the moment we do not have support for Nikon D700, however our engineers are working on it and it will be present in Capture One PRO 4 and Capture One 4.2 release that will come after PhotoKina exhibition in September. Due to complexity of this camera and after experience with D3 we know we need to test it thoroughly before releasing to public. We are aware how popular and important camera this is and want to spend extra time on its support.
However even before this release you could use Adobe DNG converter, which is a free tool that would convert the NEF files into DNG files, which can be opened by Capture One 4.
I know it sounds like a complicated workaround, but it shouldn't be too bad, simply download the Adobe DNG converter, point it to the NEF files from your D700 and view the newly created DNG files in Capture One 4. In the application select Nikon D3 generic color profile as it is the closest to D700 and process the images as usual. However since this profile is not completely optimized, some tweaking might be necessary.
I hope this will provide an acceptable solution to the problem. Once again I am sorry for any inconvenience, but we are working on this as fast as we can while not compromising the quality of output.
With kind regards,

Jakub
Phase One Technical Support

D Thompson
08-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Thank you Dennis!

Well, I just heard from Phase One...not a particularly good answer. I just wish that they had been more proactive, but maybe Nikon doesn't cooperate with them. Still, more than two months is really a long time to wait when people have work to do.

Their answer:

I am sorry but at the moment we do not have support for Nikon D700, however our engineers are working on it and it will be present in Capture One PRO 4 and Capture One 4.2 release that will come after PhotoKina exhibition in September. Due to complexity of this camera and after experience with D3 we know we need to test it thoroughly before releasing to public. We are aware how popular and important camera this is and want to spend extra time on its support.
However even before this release you could use Adobe DNG converter, which is a free tool that would convert the NEF files into DNG files, which can be opened by Capture One 4.
I know it sounds like a complicated workaround, but it shouldn't be too bad, simply download the Adobe DNG converter, point it to the NEF files from your D700 and view the newly created DNG files in Capture One 4. In the application select Nikon D3 generic color profile as it is the closest to D700 and process the images as usual. However since this profile is not completely optimized, some tweaking might be necessary.
I hope this will provide an acceptable solution to the problem. Once again I am sorry for any inconvenience, but we are working on this as fast as we can while not compromising the quality of output.
With kind regards,

Jakub
Phase One Technical Support

Man that sucks, but sometimes Adobe is not much better in getting the updates out. The dng converter is a thought though.

Gintaras
08-06-2008, 01:43 AM
JTL, thanks for sharing and congrats on your new camera. I think D700 probably sets a new benchmark for pro like yet affordable instrument. This time Canon is VERY slow so I agree with Rooz.

As concerns live view, after having used my XTi for a while I found myself leaning to an optical viewfinder on my P&S Canon, I do not miss live view in any way.

JTL
08-06-2008, 09:05 PM
JTL, thanks for sharing and congrats on your new camera. I think D700 probably sets a new benchmark for pro like yet affordable instrument. This time Canon is VERY slow so I agree with Rooz.

As concerns live view, after having used my XTi for a while I found myself leaning to an optical viewfinder on my P&S Canon, I do not miss live view in any way.Thanks, man! I find myself liking this cam so much (and not just because it's new) that I actually refrain from posting about it so as not to sound like a infatuated retard...but, this is simply the best camera I've ever shot (including a certain $8,000 one)....not simply the best "affordable" camera. A lot of different things go into why I think it's one of the the best cameras out there...but in the end, it's just my opinion and based solely on my personal likes and dislikes. All I know is anyone who shoots one will want one. Anyone who shoots one for more than three days...you'd probably have to kill them to get it away from them. I am getting shutter drags the likes of which god hasn't seen. I think I-TTL and CLS are the most under appreciated technologies in the history of DSLRs. Combine that with the metering system, the flawless autofocus, the crazy good ergonomics (with the exception of the release mode lock), the flexibility of the customization, the image quality, the form factor, the price, etc., etc., etc. O.K., I'll stop now.

As far as live view goes...it has its place. I won't need it much, but it's nice to know it's there and that it has been intelligently implemented.

BTW, I've done my first "mod" to the camera. I've replaced the god-awful standard viewfinder eyepiece ring with a Nikon DK-19 eyecup:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/352124-REG/Nikon_4787_DK_19_Rubber_Eyecup.html

About a hundred times better than the one the camera shipped with...

I also picked up one of these diffusers for the pop-up flash:

http://www.amazon.com/Diffuser-Olympus-Camera-Flashes-Cooling/dp/B001D1GGO4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&m=A1P9QRDRYY6FXL&s=electronics&qid=1218078152&sr=1-4

It works surprisingly well...

faisal
08-07-2008, 04:55 AM
Congrats JTL.....

JTL
08-10-2008, 10:38 PM
One more little complaint with the D700...

An engineering faux pas in my opinion...the Focus Mode Selector Switch protrudes slightly past the camera body making it very easy to flip by accident. This is significant because the the most common position is "S" (Single Servo AF) and it is unfortunately the middle position, but because of how the switch protrudes, it is very easily accidently set to Continuos Servo, which is the bottom position...and in that position, auto focus does not work as expected because "predictive tracking" gets turned on. After several times over the weekend when my lens suddenly stopped autofocusing with a half-press of the shutter release, it became apparent what was happening. What is maddeningly annoying about this is that a 16th of an inch (maybe even a 32nd) difference would have kept this from happening. I guess I could shave it down, but, there'd go the resale value...

But, all things totaled, it is the best picture taking machine I've ever used, so at the end of the day, who cares! ;)

Rooz
08-11-2008, 12:47 AM
i found the exact same problem JTL. i adapted and got used to it after a while but its quite the pain in the ass to begin with and i agree, that is a design flaw imo.

btw: after reading thom hogans guide, i have switched to shutter release button releasing only, (not AF with half press), and using the AF-ON button for AF only. i find it works a treat. you should give it a go. (for af-c mode only obviously).

XaiLo
08-11-2008, 01:07 AM
Those damn design flaw pita I tell ya, have fun JTL.

JTL
08-11-2008, 06:20 AM
i have switched to shutter release button releasing only, (not AF with half press), and using the AF-ON button for AF only. i find it works a treat. you should give it a go. (for af-c mode only obviously).I was playing with that last night...in my quest to get the AEL working the way I want (it doesn't). What do you like better about using the AF-ON button? Very interesting to me. Is it easier to track subjects that way and then just use the release when ready? How would you do AEL and AFL simultaneously if the subject was moving through light and dark areas as you track? Still learning obviously...

Also, maybe you can help me get it setup the way I want...In Single Servo Mode I want the AE to lock and hold (when I press the AEL/AFL button once...without having to continue to hold it) until I release. I want to read light from anywhere in the scene, lock it, recompose and focus then shoot. Simple right? Can't get it to do it! Well, I can just keep holding the AEL/AFL button, I guess.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Rooz
08-11-2008, 06:54 AM
Is it easier to track subjects that way and then just use the release when ready?

yes. it also lets me use trap focus easier and allows me to focus anywhere in the scene and then recompose without switching modes. i also find it more comfortable to use it that way and in Ch mode i dont have to worry about that itchy trigger finger.

I want to read light from anywhere in the scene, lock it, recompose and focus then shoot.

thats the most common thing i do. lol i have my Fn button set to spot meter, (my DOF preview button is set to FV-L btw), cos i can access that button very easily, take a meter reading, lock it then recompose. so, to set AE-L...(this should be the same on the d700)

custom setting menu
f6
first item (AE-L/ AF-L button press)
press ok
select from menu which mode you want. in the case you described, you're looking for "AE lock reset on release". in this case, it locks your exposure with a press, then resets the meter when you depress the SL. you can also set it to AE-L until you press the button again. sure fire way to screw up your next 10 frames before you figure out you locked exposure !! lol

doing it this way means you have AF-L with the AF-ON button and AE-L with the AE-L button. you also have spot metering at your finger tips, (and flash lock if you use it). this is about as close as it gets to exposure control nirvana. all controlled with one hand and access in a split second.

JTL
08-11-2008, 07:08 AM
yes. it also lets me use trap focus easier and allows me to focus anywhere in the scene and then recompose without switching modes. i also find it more comfortable to use it that way and in Ch mode i dont have to worry about that itchy trigger finger.

thats the most common thing i do. lol i have my Fn button set to spot meter, (my DOF preview button is set to FV-L btw), cos i can access that button very easily, take a meter reading, lock it then recompose. so, to set AE-L...(this should be the same on the d700)

custom setting menu
f6
first item (AE-L/ AF-L button press)
press ok
select from menu which mode you want. in the case you described, you're looking for "AE lock reset on release". in this case, it locks your exposure with a press, then resets the meter when you depress the SL. you can also set it to AE-L until you press the button again. sure fire way to screw up your next 10 frames before you figure out you locked exposure !! lol

doing it this way means you have AF-L with the AF-ON button and AE-L with the AE-L button. you also have spot metering at your finger tips, (and flash lock if you use it). this is about as close as it gets to exposure control nirvana. all controlled with one hand and access in a split second.Thanks Rooz...I really appreciate it...I'm going to try out that setup! One thing, though. I use the FN button now for bracketing, something I do a lot! Maybe I can move the brackting over to the DOF Preview button. Arrrgggg...I need one more button! :D:D:D

See, this is how Nikon spoils us! You get so use to all this direct access stuff and not having to dig through menus to get simple stuff done that you (well, I) want everything to have a direct access button! I want my camera body to look like an accordion. :D

Rooz
08-11-2008, 05:41 PM
well you can always set up different functions for your Fn button using the Custom settings banks. so CSB 1 is normal, (spot meter = Fn Button). then use CSB 2 for say...landscapes and switch it so your Fn button = bracketing and change all your other settings around to a specific bank.

right now i have my banks set to

NORMAL
FLASH
HI-ISO
REMOTE (off cam flash)

all of these have various different settings which are saved in the banks. eg: auto iso and d-lighting are on for hi iso but not on for anything else. this is another feature i'm only just starting to use now and again, it just makes life that little bit easier. the possibilities are endless. lol

JTL
08-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Holy crap, Rooz! I just discovered that I can set the Fn Button to Spot Meter AND when I use the Command Dial...Presto...my bracketing works as well! I mean, holy crap! This thing is ingenious!

BTW, I got AE-L to work the way I want it to. Thanks again. I feel like a complete idiot. I think the other night I was pressing the AF-L instead on the AE-L button by accident...because I tried the the cancel on release setting but nothing happened. Fat fingers (and head)! :D

Now everything is set up perfectly...for now, that is...;)

One button spot meter...priceless...great tip...thanks! :)