PDA

View Full Version : D60

ramblingman
07-31-2008, 04:25 AM
Do we have many D60 users here ?? I just bought one and unfortunately I had to do my home work fast and decide on a camera cause I wanted it for an Alaska trip we're taking next week . So I have a quick learning curve here to start with ...So if you own one do you think I made a good choice for an entry camera ...any do's and don't I should know with this camera? Some general knowledge would be great!! Thanks in advance!

Rooz
07-31-2008, 05:08 AM
the do's and don't of a d60 are pretty much the same as any dslr. if you're new then go and practice practice practice. shoot in P or even Aperture Priority and you'll be fine. it will be quite tricky in alaska if it is all white so check your LCD often and reduce exposure if you're whites get blown.

i strongly recommend you shoot in RAW andauto WB to give you some good latitude in post processing if you really screw up. the d60 is a great learning tool and along with its d40/40x cousins, has what i think is the most neutral and reliable metering around. remember that photos are only as good as the photographer not the camera. so your shots whill largely depend on how much time and energy you dedicate to learning about it before you go.

K1W1
07-31-2008, 06:07 AM
it will be quite tricky in alaska if it is all white so check your LCD often and reduce exposure if you're whites get blown.

Welcome.
What Rooz means is this.

Set the LCD display on the back of the camera so it shows the Highlights view.
When you review images the bits of the image that are blinking are the sections that the camera considers are over exposed (or blown in Rooz language). Try to minimise these by adjusting your exposure. Generally it's easier to get an acceptable image from dark sections of photos than it is from sections that are "blown". By default the camera will be pessimistic about highlights so don't worry to much if the LCD blinks a bit in sections you just don't want large parts (like the whole sky or an entire iceberg) blinking.

Aldor88
08-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Some people aint gonna like me for this but the truth is that the Ken Rockwell guide helped me a lot when I first started out. The guide is for the D40 i know but most of the stuff is the same in both cameras and theres som generally good info here.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/users-guide/index.htm

swpars
08-01-2008, 11:07 AM
As long as you ignore his commandment to shoot only in Basic JPEG, Rockwell's advice is otherwise fairly good.

I do take issue with cranking saturation to the max all the time though. Having saturation at a more neutral setting seems to give me more dynamic range in JPEG. If I want more saturation, I'll crank up the colors in post production with RAWTherapee (which is a decent JPEG editor as well, and free)