PDA

View Full Version : Idiots!

Camerajunkie
07-30-2008, 03:41 PM
So I had bought a SB-800 off of eBay to have and use since my photography seems to be taking off. It was listed as "never used" and was cheaper than a brand new one and I'm trying very hard to keep costs down at the moment.

Bought and paid for it and waited. Waited and waited. Finally heard from the seller. Seems they had listed the item and then gone on vacation, only they never mentioned that they would be out of town. But they said they'd ship it right away for me.

Got an email the next day saying that they had shipped it express so I'd get it quickly. (That was Monday.)

I got it today. I was so excited to realize that the box was here and I'd get to start practicing with it.

I opened the box to find the flash, in the flash pouch, on top on one piece of bubble wrap. The seller had used one of the biggest priority mail boxes too. With one piece of bubble wrap. Under the flash.

I took pictures of the packaging. I also sent an email to the guy demanding a refund. You just DON'T ship expensive electronics that way!

To top it all off, this flash looks more used than my sb-600 that I've had for the last year and a half. I take care of it but I'm not anal about it and I have 4 kids, so it's been exposed to life. Yet it looks pristine. The one I got? Scratched, goo on places on it, dirt on the flash head.... *Sigh* New, and never used my butt.

In spite of all that, WHO ships an item with one piece of bubble wrap?

rawpaw18
07-30-2008, 03:57 PM
J,
Sorry to here about that. Are you going to keep it or fight them?

I sold a few SB800's a couple years ago on Ebay, went pretty smooth. Of course they were brand new I had just bought them to resell.

ColColt
07-30-2008, 04:38 PM
As I mentioned twice before, I don't do ebay. Here's yet another good reason why.

esp
07-30-2008, 05:15 PM
I use ebay quite a bit for smaller items but am always nervous everytime. I havent been burned yet but I know it is coming eventually.

Camerajunkie
07-30-2008, 06:11 PM
I've been on eBay since May of 1999. I've been a seller and a buyer there. This is my first time I'm had a problem with a purchase of mine. Every other one has gone very well.

I told the guy I want a full refund. It's not what he described and knowing how abused mail gets, I'm not willing to risk it. Now let's see if he gives me a refund. Otherwise, I'll fight him.

K1W1
07-30-2008, 06:32 PM
There is a large difference between never used and brand new.

Did the seller actually state or imply that the flash was brand new or in brand new condition or did he simply say it was never used?

The term "never used" by itself could mean that he purchased the unit second hand from a garage sale and had not used it. It does not imply legally that it's brand new or even in brand new condition. Before you get into any sort of argument you should carefully review all the communications you have had with the seller and also get if possible copies of the original ebay auction. It is possible that you have been scammed and if that's the case the seller will have been very careful about the words that they have used and the representations that they have made so you need to be absolutely correct in your arguments if you want to win.

Camerajunkie
07-30-2008, 06:45 PM
My dad got this for his birthday, never used it cause he already had one this is a great buy, its brand new and fully functional

He said both. The auction listing also says he will give a full refund. So he should.

K1W1
07-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Looks pretty clear cut to me.

Maybe he "accidentally" supplied the one his dad already had rather than the one he got for his birthday. :D

Fiasco
07-31-2008, 12:52 AM
As I mentioned twice before, I don't do ebay. Here's yet another good reason why.

Me either. ebay is dead to me.